The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) DeBrusk willing to work on extension to facilitate trade

RWJC

Report: Bruins' DeBrusk willing to work on extension to facilitate trade

Jake DeBrusk's agent, Rick Valette, has informed teams they're willing to work on an extension in order to facilitate a trade from the Boston Bruins, TSN's Pierre LeBrun reported during Tuesday's "Insider Trading" segment.

The 25-year-old forward is playing out the final season of a two-year deal, which carries a $3.675-million cap hit. He's a pending restricted free agent this offseason and could sign a $4.41-million qualifying offer.

"A lot of teams are concerned about the $4.4-million qualifying offer to retain his rights this summer," LeBrun said. "Maybe (if there's) an extension at a cheaper price, everyone goes home happy."

DeBrusk thrived in the second half of February. He's logged seven goals and two assists in his last five contests, including his first career hat trick against the Los Angeles Kings on Monday. He managed just seven goals in the first 43 games of the campaign.

The winger's trade request became public in late November, but there's been no movement yet.

"Bottom line is, if he keeps scoring and playing a bigger role, it might help the Bruins and general manager Don Sweeney get better offers than they've had to date," LeBrun said.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Keep it simple Pearson for DeBrusk. Give Debrusk a matching salary to the one Pearson is on now. Minus all the modified NTC stuff.

Exactly this.  Pearson give the Bruins a similar player who has playoff experience and we get the young version of a simiiar player that fits our timeline better.  Extend him with the Pearson money and it's as straightforward as possible.

Now that I say this however, Pearson's best buddy is in Calgary and all Canucks go to Calgary it seems so maybe there is something to look at there.

DeBrusk has been extremely patient with this trade request. Now also willing to sign below his QO. If he's signing for Tanner Pearson like money, I think he's a worthy moneyball target - who could also still breakout along the lines of a late Todd Bertuzzi breakout IMO. 

I wonder if Garland + Dickinson (5-10 percent cap retention) for DeBrusk (on a 2-3 year) + Senyshyn (also requested a trade) could be a hockey trade. Garland has the highest value here but they'd take Dickie on as a cap dump. Bruins have most of their line-up signed thru next year. If they're giving up DeBrusk they could use another scorer for a playoff push in Garland as well. I really like Garland as a player but I don't know if having both him and Hoggie as well as Petey in the top-8 forwards is going to be sustainable in terms of size. Senyshyn doesn't really have any value at this point but it allows Boston to respect his trade request. JR really wants to create some cap flexibility and this would do that.

Debrusk isn't a power forward... he's a younger Pearson with better hands and goal scoring ability.  He's basically a 0.5ppg player that can skate and play defensively as well.  Don't expect him to crash and bang with his 6'0" sub-200lbs frame.

10 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Keep it simple Pearson for DeBrusk. Give Debrusk a matching salary to the one Pearson is on now. Minus all the modified NTC stuff.

Have we heard anything about whether or not Pearson wants to be traded this year?

regards,  G.