The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in John Marino

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

So far I'd give them about a B- or so, maybe a C+ with expectations for them to pick it up next off season, or maybe even a significant move around Boeser which would up the marks. 

I like some of the long shot attempts with Stillman, Bear and the others. But that can't be the main part of a plan, thats in the 'nice if it works out' category.

If we were paying to move guys, I would have preferred they use a 2nd to move Myers, e.g., and at least get signifiant cap space. Not putting Dickie on waivers first before burning a 2nd kind of irked me too.

But I also see the issue they are facing and the market conditions right now, pretty grim options. 

Landing Kuzmenko looks like a home run if they can keep him. I really like Petey and Mikheyev together too. 

So we shall see, I think its OK to reserve a final call until next camp. But if they haven't done anything by then, yeah I'm probably with you. 

Fair evaluation. The mess left by JB was worse than I originally thought. Maybe worse than JR et all thought as well. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

So basically Chytil and a late first as the only useful pieces coming back?  That's a terrible return.  Only way that would have been ok is if Lundvist was immediately traded for something of actual value.

49 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, I could live with that.  My concern was if we'd kept Lundvist.

Gotta get the pieces first el Heffe.

Hell, maybe we would have been able to parlay some of these guys (Lund) and that extra firsts for Chychrun or similar as well?

Point is, we missed the boat on obtaining legit pieces, cap space, addressing our massive issues on D and instead signed a (granted good player) to a retirement deal and doubled down on the existing, not good enough, middling team.

And we still could have targeted Bear for the 5th in all this, as well.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Fair evaluation. The mess left by JB was worse than I originally thought. Maybe worse than JR et all thought as well. 

If they move Brock for picks and cap space, with the cap going up a bit and Poolman on LTIR we should have something in the range of 20-22 mil for Bo, Kuzmenko, Hoglander, Bear, and a new hopefully top 4 RHD.

Certainly not unreasonable to expect a d upgrade with that money. Severson might be a fit. Maybe we offer sheet Cal Foote out of Tampa. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Gotta get the pieces first el Heffe.

Hell, maybe we would have been able to parlay some of these guys (Lund) and that extra firsts for Chychrun or similar as well?

Point is, we missed the boat on obtaining legit pieces, cap space, addressing our massive issues on D and instead signed a (granted good player) to a retirement deal and doubled down on the existing, not good enough, middling team.

And we still could have targeted Bear for the 5th in all this, as well.

Worse than missing the boat, it seemed like they didn't even want to have a look at the boat.  The Rangers deal

might have been a real offer, but the vibe the Canucks were putting out to the league was always indicating

they wanted to sign JT.  Probably more like, we'll only trade him if the return is ridiculously good.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

If they get lucky and draft Bedard, maybe. I still don't see any indication that he was remotely qualified to work in hockey ops.  This is what happens when you hire a GM who doesn't understand the sport.  He got robbed on both trades.

I think you are missing the reason, why they did it.  Even one of the top 3, prospects will give them something to build on, for their next run at the Cup.  CHI already has 2 cups, in the past decade and I don't know too much about the new GM but they do SEEM to have higher standards there vs in Vancouver - ZERO CUPS and if he doesn't deliver he is gone, no matter how smart he thinks he is cause the result(s), is in bias.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Worse than missing the boat, it seemed like they didn't even want to have a look at the boat.  The Rangers deal

might have been a real offer, but the vibe the Canucks were putting out to the league was always indicating

they wanted to sign JT.  Probably more like, we'll only trade him if the return is ridiculously good.

Perhaps it speaks to the quality of the lineup.

Sign JT (and probably Bo), Petey's locked up for a wee bit, Quinn and Demko too, etc.

One thing I like about JR & Co is the 'don't want to rush into a mistake' kinda thing.

People like their own prognostications so much that they neglect to properly evaluate.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We had a shot at a top 4 Dman who was available on the trade market, a player who played in Pittsburgh of all places under the management of JR/PA. And we blew it. Almost never does a top 4 Dman come available via trade. 

And what New Jersey gave up for him we could have easily matched that with Rathbone and a 3rd and maybe another prospect. As for cap space, our management felt it more important to sign wingers than fix the defence so here we are. 

It would have been better just to let Boeser walk for free to free up the cap space needed to get Marino. At the end of the day Boeser isn’t even in our top 6 any longer. And Marino would have been Quinn’s partner. 

A top 4 RHD was the absolute priority this summer. Not re-signing Boeser or signing more wingers in free agency. 

Yup.  Bang on. But is this the current management or the direction from the owner? 

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Bang on. But is this the current management or the direction from the owner? 

I don't think this has anything to do with the owner.  Management prioritized signing wingers over fixing the defence in the summer.  And now we are left scrambling, picking up guys like Stillman and now Bear.  They knew Poolman had issues in the summer as well, so it should have been even more of a priority to get RHD in the summer knowing Poolman would probably be out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We had a shot at a top 4 Dman who was available on the trade market, a player who played in Pittsburgh of all places under the management of JR/PA. And we blew it. Almost never does a top 4 Dman come available via trade. 

And what New Jersey gave up for him we could have easily matched that with Rathbone and a 3rd and maybe another prospect. As for cap space, our management felt it more important to sign wingers than fix the defence so here we are. 

It would have been better just to let Boeser walk for free to free up the cap space needed to get Marino. At the end of the day Boeser isn’t even in our top 6 any longer. And Marino would have been Quinn’s partner. 

A top 4 RHD was the absolute priority this summer. Not re-signing Boeser or signing more wingers in free agency. 

John Marino makes slightly less than what they signed Mikeyev for this summer. Which means we could have kept Boeser. Already have Garland, Podkolzin, Boeser, Kuzmenko, Hoglander, and Pearson for top 9 wingers and with our 2 best prospects also being wingers in Klimovich and Lekkerimaki. Just seemed like an extremely poor choice in cap space usage. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

While that makes a whole lot of sense, can you imagine if we let Boeser walk and then the usual luck happens where a solid player suddenly underperforms here?  They were stuck with Boeser regardless by the summer.  Trading him a couple of years ago would have been ideal but hindsight is 20-20. 

Regardless, I think if Boeser lights it up for a 10-game stretch, we trade him and we should actually be inching towards something respectable.....IF and a big IF the team starts playing like a team instead of a good group of individuals.

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

While that makes a whole lot of sense, can you imagine if we let Boeser walk and then the usual luck happens where a solid player suddenly underperforms here?  They were stuck with Boeser regardless by the summer.  Trading him a couple of years ago would have been ideal but hindsight is 20-20. 

Regardless, I think if Boeser lights it up for a 10-game stretch, we trade him and we should actually be inching towards something respectable.....IF and a big IF the team starts playing like a team instead of a good group of individuals and we get some youth and intermediate-term salary cap back.

Oops....just quoted instead of edited lol.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

John Marino makes slightly less than what they signed Mikeyev for this summer. Which means we could have kept Boeser. Already have Garland, Podkolzin, Boeser, Kuzmenko, Hoglander, and Pearson for top 9 wingers and with our 2 best prospects also being wingers in Klimovich and Lekkerimaki. Just seemed like an extremely poor choice in cap space usage. 

I agree.  We did have cap space in the summer to get some help on defence.  Management instead used that cap space to re-sign Boeser for $6.65 million and sign Mikheyev as a UFA for $4.75 million plus sign Kuzmenko for $975k.  So a total of over $12 million for 3 wingers.  Wingers are alot easier to find then top 4 Dmen, so we really should have used that money to get help on defence.  Marino was obviously the top Dman that became available at a really good cap hit for the next 5 years.

With Miller moving to the wing, we now have an abundance of wingers, to the point where Boeser will be on the 3rd line and Podkolzin on the 4th line.  Boudreau and Management should have really spent more time analyzing this roster, fixing our biggest holes, and understanding that rolling 3 lines wasn't the right way to build this team.  

5 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Regardless, I think if Boeser lights it up for a 10-game stretch, we trade him and we should actually be inching towards something respectable.....IF and a big IF the team starts playing like a team instead of a good group of individuals.

Sure, I mean it would have been tough just to let Boeser walk for free.  Perhaps we could have packaged him with a prospect or draft pick to trade him somewhere and at least get something back in return.  The problem with Boeser now is he doesn't fit into the top 6 anymore.  So he's going to play on the 3rd line.  I doubt he is going to light it up playing with Studnicka as his centre.  Maybe he replaces Garland on Horvat's wing, we will see.  But Garland drives play and seems to be a good fit on that line.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, I mean it would have been tough just to let Boeser walk for free.  Perhaps we could have packaged him with a prospect or draft pick to trade him somewhere and at least get something back in return.  The problem with Boeser now is he doesn't fit into the top 6 anymore.  So he's going to play on the 3rd line.  I doubt he is going to light it up playing with Studnicka as his centre.  Maybe he replaces Garland on Horvat's wing, we will see.  But Garland drives play and seems to be a good fit on that line.

I'm going to go on a hunch with some credit to team leadership that they'll get Boeser back on his skates first and then push him back up in the top 6 and perhaps top 3 when he gets hot.......all to set up a trade.  The writing is on the wall that he doesn't fit the makeup of the team anymore with his cap and his playing style.  Love his points and he comes across as a great Canuck for the city but a locker room shift towards some more defensive cohesion, bite and lunch bucket work is badly needed.  I hope I'm right about management but we'll see I guess.

Boeser and Bo are the most tradeable right now with their shorter contracts.  Bo is more valuable to us though.

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

Garland for Marino straight up would have done it easily, heck I'd retain 1M for them too. If they want a 3rd as well give them that. Pittsburgh basically get a worse defender (who hasn't played yet) and a pick for Marino. Meanwhile NJD now have 3x 20 minute top 4 RDs.

You can't tell me Marino or now Severson aren't in play, and surely a top 6 forward +/- pick is all it would cost. Considering we have so many wingers, we had to make this trade.

I understand we just signed Kuz and Mikheyev so obviously they're not getting traded, the franchise have a big bond with Boeser and they just resigned him but Garland would have been the perfect piece going back. Good value, old regime acquisition, good enough to warrant a trade and not too old/too young.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Garland for Marino straight up would have done it easily, heck I'd retain 1M for them too. If they want a 3rd as well give them that. Pittsburgh basically get a worse defender (who hasn't played yet) and a pick for Marino. Meanwhile NJD now have 3x 20 minute top 4 RDs.

You can't tell me Marino or now Severson aren't in play, and surely a top 6 forward +/- pick is all it would cost. Considering we have so many wingers, we had to make this trade.

I understand we just signed Kuz and Mikheyev so obviously they're not getting traded, the franchise have a big bond with Boeser and they just resigned him but Garland would have been the perfect piece going back. Good value, old regime acquisition, good enough to warrant a trade and not too old/too young.

Severson is definitely available, especially considering his contract is up this year and the Devils have Nemec in the system. 

I think what New Jersey wants for him will depend on where they're sitting in the standings come trade deadline though. If they're in a playoff position then a hockey trade involving Garland+ makes a lot of sense. But, if they are a few spots outside of the playoffs they will likely be looking for something more like a 1st and a good prospect.

My biggest concern with Severson is what is he looking for on his next contract? Something like 5years × 6M I would do, but if he's looking for max term I don't want him. We aren't close enough to being a contender to sign a bunch of guys into their late 30s with the hope they don't fall off to quick.