The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Same old story

Rate this topic

Bathgate

52 minutes ago, Bathgate said:

I have read the comments, and believe that some are focused too.much on the here and now. Since Nov. I have stated we are in cap trouble, with bb, jtm, bh in line for raises we can't  budget. We need speed on the wings and mobility on defence. Why are we not trying to create space and picks at the best time.

Ps, I have given up hope of seeing a cup in my lifetime.

Pretty much the same for me, I do get annoyed when some are focused on 3 years from now and wish to trade away talent for draft picks, hoping they won't be another Juolevi or Virtanen.There's no gurantee your picks become bonafide NHL stars and yet are willing to spin the bottle on proven players like JT, no logic to it

• Upvote 1

This team does not need another rebuild; just a bit of retooling will be necessary. There are some

great pieces on this team and with two or 3 trades, the Nucks can be a playoff team next season.

If Miller is also traded; the team is contending in 3yrs.

These trades are just an example of how tweaking this team by using just a few trades. I posted this

somewhere else, but I can find it.:sadno:

TDL:     Motte + Burroughs to Capitals for Ioria (RD) + 3rd

Offseason:  Brock (re-signed $6.5x3) or Garland to Devils for Zacka + Foote (LW) + 2nd

Meyers to Kraken for  Appleton (3RW) + 2nd

Pears   (Miller)  Garland/Boes    *I think Miller will opt to go to a contender

Zacha  Pete   Pods 

Hogs   Bo   Appleton

Dickie  Lammy High

*Re-sign Zacka (3.5), Appleton(2.5), Brock/Bo(6.5 each)

Hughes, OEL, Rathbone, Hammy, Pools, Schenn and Keeper. 

Assets: Foote + Iorio + (2) 2nds + 3rd (could be used to acquire an RD upgrade)

Still to do:  Upgrade D on right side, Upgrade top (2C) +  continue to stock prospect pool.

Of course, if Miller is traded, all of these upgrades can be done at once.

Next trade deadline: Move Pears to provide space for prospects

Offseason: buy out Dickie before his final season starts.

5 hours ago, AV. said:

Lol

You can act smarmy now, but deep down, you know that I'm right.

The market has never been more of a sellers market than it is right now.  Rutherford came into this job and communicated that the team wasn't good enough, and needed to make changes.  Boudreau doesn't ever miss an opportunity to bash how bad the team is.  For months, there has been smoke surrounding a plethora of our players - way more than ever before, and certainly more than I can remember.  Yet, there's a real chance nothing gets done by Monday because of where the team sits in the standings.  I can tell you right now, if nothing gets done, it won't be because of a lack of suitable interest in our players, or because the management team decided to pull a 180 on how they felt about this team.  Hell, the whole thing about bringing in Jim Rutherford is that he was an executive that shared no attachment to his players  at any of the teams he was involved in.  Do you really think it'll be his idea and his call to stand pat, or make minimal moves by Monday?

Because this whole schtick about autonomy is something that gets thrown out on the first day every time a GM or executive is hired with this team.  The truth is, this "autonomy" to make meaningful changes is only granted when the team is a clearly a seller, or in more seldom cases, a buyer, and there's a slightly more leniency in the off-season.  All that's needed is a quick look to previous seasons to see this "same old story" play out.

I know you're right? Lmao!

The majority of deadline deals are players on expiring contracts and that market is always good at the deadline. Take a look at our expiring contracts and tell the great value we can get. Players under contract get traded at any time. Rutherfords's job is to assess what's best for the team, not do what willy-nillyfans want. You simply want trades for the sake of trades. Not getting that, you blame the owner. Easy-peasy. Maybe, just maybe, Rutherford is just smarter than the fans.

5 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

I think JR has to go; he hasn't done anything since he got here.

FIRE UP THE PLANE

giphy.gif

Some tend to view trade deadline day as Christmas and it's a bust if nothing's done.

I'm of the opinion that if nothing's done, nothing was likely there worth doing. I trust in that, now more than ever. With a new group in place assessing and evaluating things as a committee versus a guy.

I don't want the panic button being pushed to appease noisy fans.

Slow, methodical, well thought deals that we're in the driver's seat for for the most part/at least some of them.

Everyone wants but is anyone willing to give? Seems maybe they're not and so you don't buckle to that.

1 hour ago, Bathgate said:

We need speed on the wings and mobility on defence. Why are we not trying to create space and picks at the best time.

Ps, I have given up hope of seeing a cup in my lifetime.

You've mentioned nothing of grit, size and strength, which I feel we need equally (probably more) at this point (especially on defence). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I know you're right? Lmao!

The majority of deadline deals are players on expiring contracts and that market is always good at the deadline. Take a look at our expiring contracts and tell the great value we can get. Players under contract get traded at any time. Rutherfords's job is to assess what's best for the team, not do what willy-nillyfans want. You simply want trades for the sake of trades. Not getting that, you blame the owner. Easy-peasy. Maybe, just maybe, Rutherford is just smarter than the fans.

Nobody here, and certainly not I, are demanding that trades be made for the sake of making trades.  What's being communicated is that the Canucks management should be able to explore the market and have full freedom to make whatever decisions they wish to make with the roster without their place in the standings or proximity to the playoffs being a factor.  In the past, we know that ownership has been more influential in these decisions than they should be, ergo, "same old story" 

1 minute ago, AV. said:

Nobody here, and certainly not I, are demanding that trades be made for the sake of making trades.  What's being communicated is that the Canucks management should be able to explore the market and have full freedom to make whatever decisions they wish to make with the roster without their place in the standings or proximity to the playoffs being a factor.  In the past, we know that ownership has been more influential in these decisions than they should be, ergo, "same old story" 

Wait, haven't they been doing just that? Rutherford has said they've been getting calls after all. Is it not possible management made the decision what's being offered simply isn't good enough? They're certainly not actually under any pressure (other than from fans) at the deadline to move players that aren't pending ufa's. And if it's not a player they actually want to part with the offer would need to be too good to refuse.That's a decision.

The truth is you don't know squat about what goes on behind closed doors. You make assumptions about things when what you want doesn't happen. The owner is simply the easiest target to blame. If he meddled half as much as fans believe why would waste his money on a president or GM? I'd be thinking, if I'm going be blamed I may as well just do the job myself so I actually deserve it. I'm sure something 'big' is run by the owner of every team. Management does have to answer to the owner after all. He is the one that made the investment of hundreds of millions. But I doubt they meddle nearly as often as most believe.

• Vintage 1

I am never sold on Allvin. He seems to be a whatever you say boss type of guy. JR has been around for a long long time. It is what it is. I don’t pin everything on the management to be honest. For me, the biggest problem was green and our top players being just average players for weird reasons. 

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

FIRE UP THE PLANE

giphy.gif

Some tend to view trade deadline day as Christmas and it's a bust if nothing's done.

I'm of the opinion that if nothing's done, nothing was likely there worth doing. I trust in that, now more than ever. With a new group in place assessing and evaluating things as a committee versus a guy.

I don't want the panic button being pushed to appease noisy fans.

Slow, methodical, well thought deals that we're in the driver's seat for for the most part/at least some of them.

Everyone wants but is anyone willing to give? Seems maybe they're not and so you don't buckle to that.

Bingo - Agree 100%.    You hit the nail on the head!   I think one of the biggest failings of JB, was his reactionary trades and short sighted signings, which I strongly suspect were influenced by Aqua-Lini's short term thinking.    I sure hope JR really has complete control and takes his time to negotiate and make proper long term decisions.  I'd rather wait 2-3 more years for better outcomes than go thru what we've just experienced over the last decade which was full of false promises and roads to nowhere. Here we are - over ten years since our last cup run and we still can't even squeek into the playoffs.   That is decisive proof of how bad the last decade has really been and we are all fed-up!   So please get it done right this time !

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I didn’t hear any complaints when we beat Calgary 7-1. We show a lack of passion for one game and this team is now sh@t.

Nope... Its just the realisation, that this team probably won't get in done.

I've been supporting the team through thick and thin ups until now, throughout the JB rebuild, but I get, what opportunity there is now, for trades that could solve the issues, we have had...

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Pretty much the same for me, I do get annoyed when some are focused on 3 years from now and wish to trade away talent for draft picks, hoping they won't be another Juolevi or Virtanen.There's no gurantee your picks become bonafide NHL stars and yet are willing to spin the bottle on proven players like JT, no logic to it

Also, no guarantees the acquiring player will be a good fit: Schmidt.

Best way to build a culture, is to fill the roster with homegrown talent - especially, the core; and the only way to acquire the homegrown talent, is to keep drafting and more importantly, developing the prospects.  Also, lots of examples of cup champs focusing in, on drafting & development.  Sure there will be bust and the same can be said, with trades or FA.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

I found this interesting

She mentioned the Canucks 5:40 mark basically two things:

• Penguins and The Canucks made the most deadline deals it lead to cup success and Canucks no
  • Most important, and more relevant, is that she says that none of the deals Canucks are doing at the deadline is helping or accelerating with the rebuild. 

The fact that a light hearted video from Sportsnet about the trade deadline had enough time to discuss how bad Canucks are in rebuilding. Shows how embarrassing this has got for Vancouver as an organization. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I found this interesting

• Penguins and The Canucks made the most deadline deals it lead to cup success and Canucks no
  • Most important, and more relevant, is that she says that none of the deals Canucks are doing at the deadline is helping or accelerating with the rebuild. 

The fact that a light hearted video from Sportsnet about the trade deadline had enough time to discuss how bad Canucks are in rebuilding. Shows how embarrassing this has got for Vancouver as an organization. 

Yikes, that forced energy and excitement is pretty hard to watch for more than 30 seconds...but that's interesting the Pittsburgh and Vancouver have the most deadline deals.  Pittsburgh has matched the Edmonton dynasty in Stanley Cups and the Canucks, well, er...no Cups and just got 1 out of 4 points against the NHL's bottom feeders in must win games.

54 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yikes, that forced energy and excitement is pretty hard to watch for more than 30 seconds...but that's interesting the Pittsburgh and Vancouver have the most deadline deals.  Pittsburgh has matched the Edmonton dynasty in Stanley Cups and the Canucks, well, er...no Cups and just got 1 out of 4 points against the NHL's bottom feeders in must win games.

Yeah unfortunately the NHL and affiliated media has a tendency to try and be cool it feels quite forced. I always cringe when that happens lol :lol:

I love hockey, the Canucks, and the game. But let's admit it NHL will never be as cool as the NBA or NFL. NHL trying always makes them look desperate 

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I found this interesting

Watched it .... they also said we had the best most lopsided deal in NHL history deadline history just prior to that in Markus Naslund lol.   And then went on to say PIT and VAN had done the most deals all-time - 65 was it each?   And yes then put in a dig about our current situation but how many "deadline deals" did JB actually make?  Pearson lol.. Motte ... every year we waited and nothing of actual consequence happened because well aside from Burrows and Hansen nobody was willing to waive, and once they were it was way way after they had much value...of those 65ish deals not a lot really.  

She also mentioned the Hull deal as a top ever deal for St. Louis and said right after those six best deals were also amongst the most lopsided before going into Naslund.   I'm sure CAL is happy to have actually won a cup as a result of that Hull trade (didn't bring that up...),  the same way the 23 or so trades NYR made (including a lot of their futures) to win in 94 (which she didn't even bring up although they were mostly in season).... so not sure what your point is other to point out a dig.    This was a fluff piece and lost some credibility using Hull as an example ... he did win two cups - one with Dallas and one with Detroit, doesn't mean he would have won any with Calgary though does it?   And St. Louis didn't either...well yes they did but not for a couple decades plus plus...

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1