The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Travis Hamonic to Senators for 2022 3rd-round pick

Another thing I want to point out is no trade really had to be made for us this trade deadline, but it is nice to see movement at the same time.

Remember that we didn't just give up a 3rd round pick, we also gained a 3rd round pick, our own pick is ours again. The other thing people aren't seemingly talking about enough in this thread is the cap space we got from this. We have 1.5mil cap space to work with now that we didn't have before.

So between the 2 trades this is what we have:

Out:

Hamonic

Winnipeg's 3rd round pick

In:

Dermott

Our 3rd round pick

1.5mil in cap space

(Editted for bad typing at the beginning)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Is it JR making the moves or is it Allvin?

I thought Allvin was the GM and Rutherford clearly state that the GM does their job while he does the President's job. 

Alvin fetches the nuts, JR Cracks them open!Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009) - IMDb

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

The hockey world reaction is pretty supportive of this: trading an older, more expensive D for a younger and highly touted D. Bachelor calls it the best Canucks trade in years. I don’t think they are done yet.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/canucks-deal-defenceman-travis-hamonic-to-senators-203801879.html

Pretty sure acquiring Miller handily beats this one.

Getting Motte is probably equivalent.

• Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Cut $3,000,000 trading 31yr old Hamonic out, added $1,500,00 with the acquisition of 25yr old Dermott.

Savings: $1,500,000.

Thats a good day.

Younger, faster, my potential upside, allows hunt to play 7D and Rathbone to marinate in the AHL where he belongs. It was a great day. Let's hope we follow it with another tomorrow.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

i haven't bothered to check, but did we have an outstanding "future considerations" with Ottawa?  That's about the only rational reason I could think of for why we were able to convince Ottawa to take Hamonic and return our 3rd round pick.

Nope, we gave away our future considerations to Tampa for Spencer Martin, and haven't recouped.

If anyone wonder why we're losing, we have 0 considerations. Rough time to be a Canuck. 

• Haha 3