The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

Just now, Chris12345 said:

That's why I think there's another move coming.

Left side looks good now - Hughes, OEL, Dermott

Right side is very sketchy - Schenn, Myers, Poolman

Fixing the right side is going to be more challenging and probably require cap wizardry or parting with Boeser. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

He is a lhd and Ham is rhd

He plays either side. Many forget Ehrhoff was a LHD that played the right side. Salo was a RHD that was just as good on the left side. Some guys just have that skill.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

He plays either side. Many forget Ehrhoff was a LHD that played the right side. Salo was a RHD that was just as good on the left side. Some guys just have that skill.

Samething they said about Benn or Schmidt but good chance, he plays better on his natural side

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Chris Thornycroft said:

Basically in a roundabout way, we're replacing Hamonic with a guy who essentially is what Travis was advertised to be - a defensive defensemen who has the potential to play top 4 minutes...only McDermott is 6 years younger...and he's half the cost. I'd call this a win by any metric. It could be a disaster, but any trade can blow up in your face for no reason. On paper, this looks like an excellent, cost saving improvement to the line-up. At worst, he's at least a reliable, still youngish bottom pairing defensemen. That's more than we were getting from Hamonic this year, so it works for me. 

I basically agree, expect it is not very roundabout. From the Canuck point of view it is pretty much a straight swap of Hamonic for Dermott. 

And I don't see how this could ever be a "disaster". Hamonic was not particularly good and, at his age, is more likely to get worse as time goes on whereas Dermott still has some potential to get better.  Even if Dermott does not pan out, the Canucks created some much-needed cap space.  

And Dermott is considerably better than the expected value of 3rd round pick, is signed through next year on a low cap hit and will be an RFA. 

Probably Poolman takes Hamonic's spot as a RD and Dermott replaces Hunt at LD. That might even be a net improvement in the D right now. 

I like the move. My only complaint is that it is a small move. I hope to see some bigger moves in the next 24 hours.  

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

He is a lhd and Ham is rhd

Kind of meh on this trade but I believe the thought process is this is probably an upgrade  on Hunt but  how much is the question. Hamonic has had some rough games lately and likely was being replaced by Poolman sooner than later.

Just now, JamesB said:

I basically agree, expect it is not very roundabout. From the Canuck point of view it is pretty much a straight swap of Hamonic for Dermott. 

And I don't see how this could ever be a "disaster". Hamonic was not particularly good and, at his age, is more likely to get worse as time goes on whereas Dermott still has some potential to get better.  Even if Dermott does not pan out, the Canucks created some much-needed cap space.  

And Dermott is considerably better than the expected value of 3rd round pick, is signed through next year on a low cap hit and will be an RFA. 

Probably Poolman takes Hamonic's spot as a RD and Dermott replaces Hunt at LD. That might even be a net improvement in the D right now. 

I like the move. My only complaint is that it is a small move. I hope to see some bigger moves in the next 24 hours.  

It's no where near a disaster.

It's just a peanut butter sandwich when you've worked OT all week and were hoping for lasagna or turkey.

• Haha 1

Hamonic is a better player imo, but the cap savings are nice.

Not sure how I feel about trading a 3rd for Dermott. Pretty meh bottom pair D with another year left at >1M. At one point he looked like a solid young D, I guess they think he has more to give.

If they like his upside then fine, but I wish we had squeezed Toronto a little harder, they needed Dermott off the books. Feels like 'fair value' rather than taking advantage of the situation. (Tho In fairness perhaps there were other teams interested)

I guess we'll see how Dermott does, being able to play both sides is a + 

19 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

So if he plays good enough to earn a $4 million dollar contract how would his value be the same?

We keep Miller at 9 mil per, and how do we afford to keep Dermott at 4 mil?  We would need an ELC guy coming up to replace guys like Dermott who are moving into contracts where they earn too much.  Where do those ELC guys come from?  Lots and lots of picks, especially in the second and third rounds.  

It's not the player (Dermott) it's the philosophy of trying to speed up the process to becoming a consistently competitive team.  IMHAO the Benning method (being replicated by this move) isn't the best way to build what we want.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We keep Miller at 9 mil per, and how do we afford to keep Dermott at 4 mil?  We would need an ELC guy coming up to replace guys like Dermott who are moving into contracts where they earn too much.  Where do those ELC guys come from?  Lots and lots of picks, especially in the second and third rounds.  

It's not the player (Dermott) it's the philosophy of trying to speed up the process to becoming a consistently competitive team.  IMHAO the Benning method (being replicated by this move) isn't the best way to build what we want.

For Dermott to command Tanev money he'd have to be as good as Tanev. If that happens, yay us. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Myers is the biggest challenge we have on the right side - we need two top-4 right side defensemen that are excellent defensively. Fortunately they can be useless offensively (given who their partners will be) but they need to be good skaters too.

Won't be easy. Myers would have to be moved, and we have to find 2 teams willing to part with defensive-minded mobile RHD. 

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

One game is not going to be the deciding factor in a trade. Those decisions have been made, it's just a matter of making trades work.

Is not just one game but more like the last 2 games we lost plus if we lose this one we will be far out of reach of the playoffs. Hence, the urgency to make more trades as the current group can't do it under Bruce!! Just not enough with the current line up we have. 

3 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Part of our plan for world domination:  corner the market on #7 D.

Haha - I think Benning was planning on putting all 17 of his off-season RHD pickups simultaneously on the third pairing to finally equal one good RHD

• Haha 1