The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Dermott | #24 | D

-AJ-

“Dermott is essentially the platonic ideal of a third-pairing defenceman. He’s consistently produced strong two-way results — albeit in a sheltered role — and moves the puck effectively while offering the sort of versatility one would covet in that part of the lineup as someone who can play the left or right side equally effectively. If nothing else, he’s a quality option at the bottom of the lineup and cost-controlled for the next two seasons at least. At just 25 years old, perhaps there’s untapped potential further up the lineup, too.”

• Vintage 1

He was drafted by and has only played for TOR under their systems, with their coaching, etc. Maybe, and I hope, he'll learn some new things and increase his confidence in VAN.  He's only 25, and I'm sure having Hughes as a team mate will open his eyes to what good D actually looks like.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

“Dermott is essentially the platonic ideal of a third-pairing defenceman. He’s consistently produced strong two-way results — albeit in a sheltered role — and moves the puck effectively while offering the sort of versatility one would covet in that part of the lineup as someone who can play the left or right side equally effectively. If nothing else, he’s a quality option at the bottom of the lineup and cost-controlled for the next two seasons at least. At just 25 years old, perhaps there’s untapped potential further up the lineup, too.”

pla·ton·ic
/pləˈtänik/

adjective

1. (of love or friendship) intimate and affectionate but not sexual.
    "their relationship is purely platonic"

Who writes this stuff?
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:
pla·ton·ic
/pləˈtänik/

adjective

1. (of love or friendship) intimate and affectionate but not sexual.
    "their relationship is purely platonic"

Who writes this stuff?

Apparently, an uncommon definition of the word is "nominal or theoretical" as per Merriam-Webster.

Getting rid of Hamonic and bringing in Dermott was not about the players, it was about the CAP.

Hamonic is probably the better D, but he has been a disruptive element so that makes Dermott equal.

The difference is the CAP... which is a useful gain.

And who knows, maybe Dermott can flower here in Vancouver in the 5/6.

Doesn't change that the team needs a 3/4 D along with a #2 to complement Hughes.

1. I was very surprised PA/JR found a taker for Hamonic and his useless 3mill cap hit - so, very nicely done team, good move.

2. Getting Dermott cuts that cap gain in half, so I am guessing their pro scouting group sees something they really like in him

3. There is a bit of a narrative coming out of this trade and that is that Dermott clearly needed a change of scenery and ppl think he has more to give. 

4. I would have thought having 3 Mill in cap would have been of more value than 1.5mill in cap + Dermott, so I am excited to try and find out what PA/JR see in him, PA and Clancey would have seen a lot of this kid, so maybe they know what they are doing.

5. The problem with out LD corps is that now that OEL is hurt, there is no one who can really pick up those minutes. Hughes is already playing max minutes and hunt is already playing to his max too. Maybe Dermott can eat up a few more minutes than hunt...

Edited by Canucks Curse

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

1. I was very surprised PA/JR found a taker for Hamonic and his useless 3mill cap hit - so, very nicely done team, good move.

2. Getting Dermott cuts that cap gain in half, so I am guessing their pro scouting group sees something they really like in him

3. There is a bit of a narrative coming out of this trade and that is that Dermott clearly needed a change of scenery and ppl think he has more to give. 

4. I would have thought having 3 Mill in cap would have been of more value than 1.5mill in cap + Dermott, so I am excited to try and find out what PA/JR see in him, PA and Clancey would have seen a lot of this kid, so maybe they know what they are doing.

5. The problem with out LD corps is that now that OEL is hurt, there is no one who can really pick up those minutes. Hughes is already playing max minutes and hunt is already playing to his max too. Maybe Dermott can eat up a few more minutes than hunt...

If you think about it, that narrative has come with every underachieving player the Canucks have ever acquired.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Cheers 1

• -AJ- changed the title to Travis Dermott | #24 | D
On 3/20/2022 at 3:55 PM, bigbadcanucks said:

At the very least, he'll be able to send Hunt packing to Abby for the rest of this season.

Hunt isn't going to Abbotsford. He hasn't played in the minors for six seasons. Boudreau loves guys that never give less than 100% effort. With limited minutes he can be effective.

• Cheers 2

On 3/21/2022 at 12:37 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

If you think about it, that narrative has come with every underachieving player the Canucks have ever acquired.

Yeah.

And seriously, if Calgary is getting all of our players, we are getting all of the former Leaf players. LOL.

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah.

And seriously, if Calgary is getting all of our players, we are getting all of the former Leaf players. LOL.

There was a time not too long ago that the Leafs would pick up all our old players too - Raymond, Grabner, Santorelli, Corrado, haha

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Hunt isn't going to Abbotsford. He hasn't played in the minors for six seasons. Boudreau loves guys that never give less than 100% effort. With limited minutes he can be effective.

It will be interesting what BB will do with Dermott as he has  the 100% effort as well.  They have to

have a good look at Travis, so he will be played a lot. Unfortunately Burroughs is injured, so we will

see Hughes pairing with Dermott.  Both play LD/RD.

I'm not going to get overly excited about Dermott but definitely rooting for him.  Having another D who can skate the puck out and who has more offensive ability will help the line up.

What I'm most curious about regarding the addition of Dermott is where this leaves Rathbone.  Dermott can play both LD and RD, so that doesn't necessarily push out Rathbone, but it does keep another roster spot occupied.  If Dermott is played on RD, then I guess Rathbone might replace Hunt on the roster next year.

Would like to see Rathbone get playing time down the stretch.  If the team really does try to move a guy like Myers (among others) this summer, then next year's D core could look very different.

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm not going to get overly excited about Dermott but definitely rooting for him.  Having another D who can skate the puck out and who has more offensive ability will help the line up.

What I'm most curious about regarding the addition of Dermott is where this leaves Rathbone.  Dermott can play both LD and RD, so that doesn't necessarily push out Rathbone, but it does keep another roster spot occupied.  If Dermott is played on RD, then I guess Rathbone might replace Hunt on the roster next year.

Would like to see Rathbone get playing time down the stretch.  If the team really does try to move a guy like Myers (among others) this summer, then next year's D core could look very different.

Once the delusional 'race to make the playoffs' ends, I would hope that the management gives

Jack an opportunity to show what he's learned in Abby.  Give him a solid chance to perform.

He will probably have to head back to Abby before the end of the season to help his team

prepare for the playoffs.  It's all good for Rathbone.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Watching his first game with us,.  It’s just after the 2nd p.

Dermott moves very well, and is quicker than I expected..

he is quick to keep the check/ gap tight,

has great shut down angles, strong on his feet..

but I really like the way he dosent keep still,.  He “roves” and crosses zones really well, always leaving a defensive pass outlet.

I like him..  first impression,. But perhaps an upgrade on Hamonic in many ways.