The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

Appleton, Brassard, Namestnikov, Paul all returned 4th round picks. This is simply the market value this year. If Motte wasn't going to resign, this was the right move. No ideal, obviously, but how people are calling for Allvins head is beyond me.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He's a 4th line rental. If we step back from our Canucks lens we'd all see that we value Motte as fans more than the league does. Plus, as others have mentioned, other deals done earlier lowered his value even more. 

4th liner doesn't get 18 minutes of ice time. 

We gave Motte away for nothing. 4th round pick from the Rangers won't even be in the top 100. 

1 minute ago, Kage17 said:

Complete waste of a trade,, having Motte as rental for the Canucks is far more useful than a 4th rd pick

I disagree that having a rental on a non playoff team is more valuable to them then getting a 4th round pick. 

This team is re-tooling we need to stock prospects (even long shots) and that includes getting assets when we can. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

To talk as if it was an absolute is foolish at best.

That's true, nothing is guaranteed. 

I do think though its a reasonable assumption that they at least asked Motte what his salary expectations were before deciding to move him. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

So Francesco is the culprit. 

At some point you have to realize that it ISN'T WORKING and go towards a different path.

Im pretty sure the re-tool thing started when Willie was coach but we just actually sucked a*s as a team which is why we ended up getting high draft picks.

Our Owner is pathetic

Retool ... Rebuild it doesn't matter

Buffalo has been rebuilding since forever and they have barley progressed and in terms of retool LA kings are doing it now just fine, Anaheim (even if they miss the playoffs) are probably going to be better next season, St. Louis won a cup during a retool, and Pens won their 2nd and 3rd cup in their Crosby era by retooling. 

Point is the problem isn't about retooling or rebuilding it's about the execution. Benning had a mandate to retool obviously the execution was poor. Here's just hoping this management team can execute a retool better than the last one.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Underwhelming. It took a last minute deadline deal to settle for a 4th round pick? Could they not have gotten that earlier weeks ago? 

So Canucks deadline deals today, assuming that nothing else comes in is Dermott, Richardson, and a 2023 4th. 

9 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I’m shocked we couldn’t give away Pearson and Halak for free.

Who would take them?????????????

3 minutes ago, South Cariboo Canuck said:

People… stop… breathe. Motte is a free agent this summer. We got a 4th round pick for him…..WHO says we don’t resign him as a free agent? This fan base looses their poop before thinking things through. 

If there was a chance of us retaining him, don’t you think it would’ve already happened?

Now if he decides to walk into free agency, we have to outbid 31 other teams.

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

4th liner doesn't get 18 minutes of ice time. 

We gave Motte away for nothing. 4th round pick from the Rangers won't even be in the top 100. 

He's playing more minutes because our team isn't good enough, but he's not a 3rd line player. 

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Appleton, Brassard, Namestnikov, Paul all returned 4th line picks. This is simply the market value this year. If Motte wasn't going to resign, this was the right move. No ideal, obviously, but how people are calling for Allvins head is beyond me.

I'm happy we have a GM that's kind of calculating and emotionally detached. Benning's two biggest issues were his knee jerk reactions that led to overpaying for overrated free agents (Player Name, Myers, etc.) and making decisions without planning out the next couple years of the cap, leading to losing Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev FOR FREE. Ugh. 

Based on these moves, Allvin seems to be the exact opposite of the Benning template. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Appleton, Brassard, Namestnikov, Paul all returned 4th line picks. This is simply the market value this year. If Motte wasn't going to resign, this was the right move. No ideal, obviously, but how people are calling for Allvins head is beyond me.

This.  Motte was overpriced by Nuck fans. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

While unlikely, has anyone considered that maybe we know what the asking price for Motte is for his next contract and there's a possibility we re-sign him in the off season? This way we get a pick and could potentially bring him back if we can make the offseason moves that we would like?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

He did to us. Way more value than a 4th rounder who probably won't even crack the NHL. Like others, I'd rather have kept him for our diminishing playoff push and risk losing him for nothing at year's end, because that's what we got. Nothing. Statistically speaking that 4th rounder won't even play for us. We have even less heart and soul on this team now. 

As previously pointed out that management probably talked to Motte and concluded they couldn't resign him anyway. UFA contract for Motte could be the best of his career. 

• Cheers 1