The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

Are we selling? or buying?

If we're selling then why did we waste that 3rd pick on Dermott after we had just acquired another 3rd? 

If we're buying to make a hard push for the playoffs then why sell one of our best PK guys for a 4th?

If cap issues were a problem why didn't you trade a guy with a bigger cap hit? There was interest from other teams on guys like garland and boeser. Are you still trying to make the playoffs?

lol. Management core today just seemed very indecisive and its frustrating. 

There seems to be no set plan from them and it shows.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Hope we can re-sign him in the offseason. 

Unfortunately I'm thinking they can't and that's why they parted ways for only a fourth. I'd love to have him back too but if he has a playoff similar to what he had with us he'll be a $3 - $3.5m player. I'm exaggerating a bit but kind of not. If they were planning on re-signing him you would have thought they might have just kept him too.

Either way we all love us some Motte! Sad day for Canuck fans. :unsure: Not the greatest TDL lol. At least no big mistakes though. Didn't they tell us that some big changes/decisions needed to be made? Haha, that was intense. Whew!

Afterthought: To be honest though if you look at his stat sheet he may not garner that much of a raise. It would be a nice little feather in Allvin's cap if he re-signed.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

Just now, 13231 said:

Pathetic lol. Not surprising though based on the kinds of trade this group made back in Pittsburgh. And this entire board was literally bowing down to the feet of JR and Allvin before they'd done a single thing. 

I wasn’t I don’t know what was so exciting about new management before they even made a move. 

12 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Similarly to Copp in Winnipeg, Motte's play might have priced himself out of Vancouver

Motte will go to UFA and a team will offer him 2.5-3m/year. He should absolutely take it b/c with his injury history and style of play, it's probably his one chance to set his family up well. That contract is likely the only lucrative one he'll get to sign in his career. 

Happy for him, and happy we got something back instead of letting yet another one of our valuable players walk for 0. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Aren't we part of the fanbase?

You're using a big paint brush...

Sorry.  My apologies for generalizing the five or so people with a brain who understand why this was a fine move, and how things will turn out just fine without Motte.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

First reaction is the return seems light, but I like what the team did overall. We start improving cap flexibility, we didn't rush to dump our best guys, and this group gets to continue fighting for the playoffs (and if they don't make it, I am expecting there will be big changes).

Just now, AV. said:

Sorry.  My apologies for generalizing the five or so people with a brain who understand why this was a fine move, and how things will turn out just fine without Motte.

That’s crazy bro

Fire JR/PA

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

At least J.B. loved the players that he drafted and acquired. He would have never dumped his beloved Motte for a freaking 4th round pick like he is worthless.  

But he would absolutely botch up the contract by giving motter 6 @ 5 million and a nmc. 

Jet black is the reason we're so constipated in terms of cap space. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Laheys Liquor said:

See you at the parade downtown for the 5% chance at a NHL player we just received for one of the hardest working and skilled 4th liners in the NHL!

5% is higher than I thought. Also, Tyler Motte was a 4th round pick, people who say nothing good comes from that round. 

Edited by zzbottom
  • Thanks 1