The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Back to back with Stars/Sens, Wild, Flames, Kraken, finally a back to back with LA/Oilers.

Flames, Oilers and Wild games all away. Those games will be tough. Wild vying for home-ice advantage with the Blues as are the Oilers with the 3rd pacific team.

Only really gimme game is the Kraken. Maybe Sens too but that's a 2nd half of a back to back and Sens sometimes come out to play. 

Not an easy road ahead but not terrible.

I think LA or Nashville are the targets now.

LA has such an easy schedule, they could easily end up with 98. Some luck for us, a couple upsets, maybe end with 94 or 96. We would likely have the tiebreaker if we end up tied.

Nashville has a very tough schedule, they might lose the next six straight (playing Stl, Min, Cgy x2, Col, TB) before winning the final game against AZ. If they get lucky to win one of their next six, they end up at 95.

1 hour ago, khay said:

If it's 8 mil x 6, the Canucks will re-sign him knowing that the last 2 years of the deal will likely suck.

8 mil for 70 point centerman that hits and plays the power forward game is a good deal.

If it's a 70 point player that plays finesse game and is soft, then they'd not be worth 8 mil. 

Bigger concern is that he may drop off to being more of a 50-60 point guy as early as in 2, 3 years without playing physically. Unlikely but it's possible.

I would be concern in years 4, 5 and 6 of contract paying a playing 8 million and producing under 45 point in a cap league..

I would rather get a package back for Miller 30 next summer... Young RD man under 24, forward that can play in top 9 along with  draft pick 1st or 2nd rounder

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I would be concern in years 4, 5 and 6 of contract paying a playing 8 million and producing under 45 point in a cap league..

I would rather get a package back for Miller 30 next summer... Young RD man under 24, forward that can play in top 9 along with  draft pick 1st or 2nd rounder

This always sounds good on paper, but who exactly do you have in mind? What team that wants Miller is giving up their 18 to 23 year old presumably top 4 RHD?

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This always sounds good on paper, but who exactly do you have in mind? What team that wants Miller is giving up their 18 to 23 year old presumably top 4 RHD?

Are you saying teams have never given up a top prospect for the rental of a high calibre player before?  I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure it's happened.

If they move him in the off season, they take the best possible deal they can, regardless of position.  They'll have time to make subsequent moves.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Are you saying teams have never given up a top prospect for the rental of a high calibre player before?  I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure it's happened.

If they move him in the off season, they take the best possible deal they can, regardless of position.  They'll have time to make subsequent moves.

No, that's not what I asked.  I asked what team he can think of right now that wants Miller, but would also be willing to give up a presumably top 4 RHD that is 18 to 23 years old.  Give me some examples so we aren't just talking about some fantasy trade.

His package was clearly centered around the RHD being the main piece coming back.

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Back to back with Stars/Sens, Wild, Flames, Kraken, finally a back to back with LA/Oilers.

Flames, Oilers and Wild games all away. Those games will be tough. Wild vying for home-ice advantage with the Blues as are the Oilers with the 3rd pacific team.

Only really gimme game is the Kraken. Maybe Sens too but that's a 2nd half of a back to back and Sens sometimes come out to play. 

Not an easy road ahead but not terrible.

Good news we generally play way better away than at home. 

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No, that's not what I asked.  I asked what team he can think of right now that wants Miller, but would also be willing to give up a presumably top 4 RHD that is 18 to 23 years old.  Give me some examples so we aren't just talking about some fantasy trade.

His package was clearly centered around the RHD being the main piece coming back.

Again, once it's in the off season they can make the best deal they can get and then use that asset (or others) to balance the roster.  They don't need to narrow it to teams with positional players they need.......that can be addressed later in the off season.

Pretty much every team that's a contender or on the brink of being a contender would be interested in Miller as a $5.25m rental for a year.  I doubt they'd have much issue finding a dance partner

• Cheers 3

13 hours ago, wildwood12 said:

I wonder if Vegas misses the playoffs. Do they fire their GM?

Going after a 10 million dollar player in Eichel, then missing the playoffs their owner would be furious.

They will get a pass this year if they miss.   All season long they've been missing one or two of their best players... 

14 hours ago, wildwood12 said:

I wonder if Vegas misses the playoffs. Do they fire their GM?

Going after a 10 million dollar player in Eichel, then missing the playoffs their owner would be furious.

They don't have any loyalty to anything other than winning so yes their GM could be sacked! They just don't understand or want to deal with any adversity so rather than fight through and figure it out they'll just slap on a band-aid and hope for the best.

11 hours ago, stawns said:

Again, once it's in the off season they can make the best deal they can get and then use that asset (or others) to balance the roster.  They don't need to narrow it to teams with positional players they need.......that can be addressed later in the off season.

Pretty much every team that's a contender or on the brink of being a contender would be interested in Miller as a $5.25m rental for a year.  I doubt they'd have much issue finding a dance partner

This notion that hockey teams don't, can't, and won't make moves in order to pursue a SC is utterly ridiculous. Also ridiculous that teams wouldn't be looking to add the best player available on the market. These players are limited and in high demand. Every single years teams make surprising moves. After all it's a game with new teams emerging and struggling every year. 

What a ludicrous concept. Is it a challenge, of course, the same as it is every year but to just assume no hockey teams want good players is getting pretty tired and lame. It almost seems like some people want to get a bad return just so they can be right.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Ugh Horvat out for at least 2 weeks... 

I was watching another game. I think it was Leafs Sens last night where they suggested it's longer than that. Did anyone else get that info anywhere?

I think it's got to be a broken bone (fib) doesn't it? Horvat wouldn't declare he'll be missing a must win playoff entry game two weeks in advance with a bone bruise would he?

I seem to remember Terrell Owens playing in the Super bowl after 3 weeks or less I think.

Edited by Gawdzukes

44 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I was watching another game. I think it was Leafs Sens last night where they suggested it's longer than that. Did anyone else get that info anywhere?

I think it's got to be a broken bone (fib) doesn't it? Horvat wouldn't declare he'll be missing a must win playoff entry game two weeks in advance with a bone bruise would he?

I seem to remember Terrell Owens playing in the Super bowl after 3 weeks or less I think.

I saw a graphic during hockey night last night that said horvat was expected to be out longer than 2 weeks. would have been during an intermission in the montreal washington game. friedman was on the screen at the time but my tv was on mute.

that said, the initial statement from the team was that he'd be re-evaluated in 2 weeks, which to me sort of implies they're expecting it to take longer. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Oh man.... Can we still run the table without Bo? 

Step up to the plate, Podz.  Former Russian U18 captain, being groomed for Russian national team captain. Clutch performer, put St Petersburg on his back last year's KHL playoffs.

It's your stage, kid ..... your time to shine

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I saw a graphic during hockey night last night that said horvat was expected to be out longer than 2 weeks. would have been during an intermission in the montreal washington game. friedman was on the screen at the time but my tv was on mute.

that said, the initial statement from the team was that he'd be re-evaluated in 2 weeks, which to me sort of implies they're expecting it to take longer. 

These are the times I wish we could use two emoticons once every day. I wanted to thank you for the reply but muting Friedman deserves a laugh or two as well. ::D

4 minutes ago, tas said:

Was Marek reporting it.  At the 1:05min mark where the caption says "Bo Horvat expected to be longer than 2 weeks".  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/report-nhlpas-handling-kyle-beach-situation-raises-questions/

• Thanks 1