The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Would You?

Scenario 1:

So let's say Philly offers the 4th OA pick 1-for-1 for Miller. 

Would you?

Scenario 2:

Philly wins the lottery and picks 2nd OA.  Offers it to Vancouver for Miller 1-for-1.

Would you?

Scenario 3:

Philly drops in the lottery and gets the 5th OA pick.  Offers it to Vancouver for Miller 1-for-1. 

Would you?

Edited by HKSR

Well yeah, but they wouldn't. Juraj Slafkovsky would be our Miller/Rantanen for the next 8-10 seasons. 

One of my favourite players in the draft. 6'4 over 220, plays PK, PP, plays with edge. 

Edited by KKnight

26 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Scenario 1:

Would you?

Scenario 2:

Philly wins the lottery and picks 2nd OA.  Offers it to Vancouver for Miller 1-for-1.

Would you?

I think it would be really tough for Philly to give up a young, blue chip prospect for an older player; even if he's a 100 pnt guy.

Would I give up a top 5 pick for a 28 yr old player, knowing that a rebuild is in order?

I have to say no. 

If anything, I'm looking to move more players to get more picks.

I'm, probably looking to do what Arizona did last offseason in taking big contracts on and gathering more picks and prospects.

1 minute ago, komodo0921 said:

I think it would be really tough for Philly to give up a young, blue chip prospect for an older player; even if he's a 100 pnt guy.

Would I give up a top 5 pick for a 28 yr old player, knowing that a rebuild is in order?

I have to say no. 

If anything, I'm looking to move more players to get more picks.

I'm, probably looking to do what Arizona did last offseason in taking big contracts on and gathering more picks and prospects.

I thought Philly was rebuilding too, but others on here have said they are under a lot of pressure to make the playoffs NOW.  

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I thought Philly was rebuilding too, but others on here have said they are under a lot of pressure to make the playoffs NOW.  

Pressure is always going to be a part of professional sport.

From my point of view, management is there to do what's best for the franchise, even, sometimes, in spite of fan reaction.

Philly has been in freefall for a couple seasons now. 

Their average age is only getting higher.

I can't say I'm a fan of The Flyers but, from their standpoint, a rebuild would probably be the smarter move.

But hey; if they're willing to trade a top five pick for JTM, I'd have to be all for it.

There is a defender I'm definitely interest in that probably goes top 5.

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Philadelphia wasn't even making the playoffs consistently before this year (every second year was a miss).

Trading away Giroux signalled a turn of the tide, and I think Philadelphia should rebuild (especially looking at how competitive their division is).

couturier could get a nice haul as well, and Edmonton could be interested in Hart if the Flyers try that.

16 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Pressure is always going to be a part of professional sport.

From my point of view, management is there to do what's best for the franchise, even, sometimes, in spite of fan reaction.

Philly has been in freefall for a couple seasons now. 

Their average age is only getting higher.

I can't say I'm a fan of The Flyers but, from their standpoint, a rebuild would probably be the smarter move.

But hey; if they're willing to trade a top five pick for JTM, I'd have to be all for it.

There is a defender I'm definitely interest in that probably goes top 5.

12 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Philadelphia wasn't even making the playoffs consistently before this year (every second year was a miss).

Trading away Giroux signalled a turn of the tide, and I think Philadelphia should rebuild (especially looking at how competitive their division is).

couturier could get a nice haul as well, and Edmonton could be interested in Hart if the Flyers try that.

Hey I'm with you guys, but I think it was @mll and a couple other guys on here that were saying that Philly is under some intense pressure to get the team up to speed now.  Drafting a player that may help in a couple years isn't gonna be good enough.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Hey I'm with you guys, but I think it was @mll and a couple other guys on here that were saying that Philly is under some intense pressure to get the team up to speed now.  Drafting a player that may help in a couple years isn't gonna be good enough.

I don't mean to be sounding like I'm arguing.

I only speak from the imaginary world of me being Philly's manager.

All in good fun.

6 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I don't mean to be sounding like I'm arguing.

I only speak from the imaginary world of me being Philly's manager.

All in good fun.

Oh it's all good.  I was literally just saying I agree with you, it's just that others on here seem to be telling me otherwise -- that Philly wants to win now, so futures and prospects are not what they care about right now.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Scenario 1:

Would you?

Scenario 2:

Would you?

No reason for Philly to do this at all.

Hmm. Miller is probably as good as you could expect any 4th overall pick to be and maybe even as good as a 2nd overall pick could be expected to be. That said there are other factors:

Miller is in his prime right now - This is both good and bad. Good because you get immediate return on your investment, but bad because he has fewer years left.

Miller costs more than a draft pick to the cap and may cost far more after next year.

Draft picks are less certain than players (most of the time).

All in all, I'd probably say Miller's value in a draft pick is somewhere around 4th to 6th overall, likely given the constraint that he has a reasonably signed extension in place.

PHI is a great example of where we could be headed.   They made it to the final early on with their Giroux crew when they were younger - then were up and down like a yo-yo in the mushy middle.   About as average or middling team as you can get.   Lucked out in the lottery one year and Karma got them good lol.    Doubled down finding their second line C in Hayes and paid a steep steep price to do that.   Chuck is no Cliff Fletcher ... although related lol.   Really to me he's like Wilson lite in the East.  SJ at least could make it work with their re-tool, but both teams require a major overhaul and some rebuilding.  

Edit:  As far as where we could be headed.    That's the mushy middle. Best case by keeping Miller our core ascends enough to be a regular playoff team.    Personally i'm very curious with this team as to how we play once the puck drops in the playoffs and if i was Allvin would wait to see how that goes.   Losing Miller for nothing isn't ideal - but worth the risk.   Our first crack at it (albeit with a very different supporting cast)  was very promising.     I like this team.  Pushing these decisions down the road makes a lot of sense.    If bad habits/effort or personal issues come back next year before the TDL .... then blow it up.   Trade Horvat.  Trade Miller.   Trade Myers.   And re-set the rebuild.   I'd be surprised if that's how things end up.    Think we make the playoffs...and what happens next is going to be based on how that goes.  

Edited by IBatch

17 hours ago, grumpyone said:

how about a minor tweek

phi 1st + 2nd ( either this year of next)

Van 1st + Miller + woo?

so, swapping firsts plus

I think these are top 3 teams after Miller before July draft..LA Kings, NYR, Colorado. 

LA Kings key players are getting old, Kopitar, Daughty, Quick,  time too put chips in for key player

LA Kings

Faber RD, 6'1, 22 -- Vilardi 22, 6'3 -C -- Lemieux 6'1 - W , 26 --- 2nd rounder 2022 / 4th 2023

NYR

Lundkvist RD 5'11, 22 -Chytil 23, 6'3 C -- Robertson 20, 6'4 LD -- Kravtsov 22, 6'3- W -- No draft picks so added Kravtsov..

Colorado - No Kadri next season..

Newhook 5'11- C, 22 ---Byram 22 - -3rd rounder 2023

When there was trade talk involving Miller prior to the deadline, the receiving team would have JT for the balance of this year’s regular season and this year’s playoffs.  Since they will only have him for next season, it’s very possible that the offers won’t be rich as people are hoping.  Also, I wonder if signing Copp has lessened the Rangers’ interest in acquiring Miller.  I think it was very realistic to include Lindquist rather than Schneider, since Schneider seems to be an untouchable for the Rangers.  I don’t think your LA and Colorado proposals are realistic as I think either of those teams would be willing to give up so much for JT for just one season.