The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to find a market for Oliver Ekman-Larsson

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You said he doesn't play against the opponent's elite forwards every single night. He does. He isn't necessarily line-matched against them, but that doesn't mean he doesn't spend important minutes against top forwards, and the underlying stats support that. OEL took a ton of minor penalties this year, which meant Hughes was often playing important PK minutes on the left side. 

He doesn’t.

I even provided evidence that he doesn’t. As HSKR mentioned, the only time we’re putting Hughes out there against the tougher opponents, is when we’re trailing from behind or when we need an offensive spark.

The first two periods, he usually plays against far lesser matchup.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise...

Playing 4-5 is still difficult. Most top units will play about 90 seconds of a PP. PK shifts are hardly that long. Even if you're second unit PK, you're still likely to see some time against the first unit, even if they are towards the last half of their shift. 

Occasionally yes, and I’m not saying he won't get there but for now he is getting sheltered PK time. 

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

I’m often called “my guy” by fellow workers I barely know. 

My answer is always “don’t call me that ever again, we will never know each other enough for that kind of comfort”.

”My guy”…..

I'm confused. Did you just humble brag about being an unfriendly kill joy towards work colleagues, my guy?

Edited by Shayster007
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

He doesn’t.

I even provided evidence that he doesn’t. As HSKR mentioned, the only time we’re putting Hughes out there against the tougher opponents, is when we’re trailing from behind or when we need an offensive spark.

The first two periods, he usually plays against far lesser matchup.

He's the third highest dman in terms of his quality of competition. Is he the first choice against teams' top lines? No. But the idea that he is going up against "far lesser" matchups is also not true. 

VANplayerusage.png

55 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I'm confused. Did you just humble brag about being an unfriendly kill joy towards work colleagues, my guy?

However you wanna look at it.

Rude saying by rude kids who don’t respect others by using over familiarity.

Edited by Me_

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

However you wanna look at it.

Rude saying by rude kids who don’t respect others by using over familiarity.

Man... I'm so glad the only interactions I have with people with this mind set is on the Internet. I referred to a player as "my guy" because he was my guy I wanted in the draft, and now some dude on the internet is using "rude kids". 

Acting tough on the internet is most definitely a trend I'll never understand.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, rekker said:

I like OEL. Tad overpaid, but I think he's the least of this teams worries.

I don’t know what it looked like at the end of the year but halfway through his defensive stats were skyrocketing. Also Myers had his best season as a Canuck paired with OEL which is more than a

coincidence 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Yep one big win in 8 years. I also thought Miller was a win, that said not enough to make the team a consistent playoff team 

That trade isn't even an example of outsmarting.  Tampa needed to shed cap badly (worst kept secret that season) and we still ended up paying a 1st and a 3rd lmfao.

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

Miller is staying. Makes absolutely no sense to trade him. That is pure regression. 

If Horvat is the quiet leader of this team, then Miller is the loud leader of this team.

Keeping Miller would destroy the future of this team.

Forget about competing with this current team.  Won't happen.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AV. said:

That trade isn't even an example of outsmarting.  Tampa needed to shed cap badly (worst kept secret that season) and we still ended up paying a 1st and a 3rd lmfao.

They wanted to move Killorn, the Cap dump narrative to discredit Jim is played out. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Down by the River said:

He's the third highest dman in terms of his quality of competition. Is he the first choice against teams' top lines? No. But the idea that he is going up against "far lesser" matchups is also not true. 

VANplayerusage.png

Hughes’ minutes against gritensity forwards (bottom 6) - 490 minutes, the most in our top 4.

I’d say he’s more likely to matchup against inferior opponents than elite opponents.

Again, I’m not saying he’s doesn’t play against top superstars. I’m saying he usually matchup against bottom 6/forwards and the time he does matchup against elite opponents, is when the team needs offence. 

FWIW, these charts doesn’t really prove anything. It just proves that Hughes is our third best options, going up against elite forwards. It’s not like Boudreau is going to put Brad Hunt or Kyle Burroughs out there against McDavid.

Edited by shiznak

8 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Okay, that's what Nashville does... but that's not what Vancouver did. Green did the very opposite of that - purposefully NOT playing Hughes on the PK to try and give him sheltered minutes. Hughes was only -4 on the PK over 90 minutes. It wasn't as if he was put out there to perform poorly. 

I'm not trying to bang on the "Quinn Hughes is defensively elite" drum... but I don't think he is a liability that can only be effective when given favorable line matchups. 

Nashville was just an easy example but same for Minnesota and other teams as well.  Kulikov kills penalties - 3rd pairing D that has been at times a healthy scratch and plays sheltered minutes.  PK minutes really doesn't say anything about trust against top competition at 5v5.

5 hours ago, AV. said:

Keeping Miller would destroy the future of this team.

Forget about competing with this current team.  Won't happen.

How is keeping a 99 point player “destroying the future of this team” holy dramatics…

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

They wanted to move Killorn, the Cap dump narrative to discredit Jim is played out. 

This is where these guys start sounding real dumb. They gotta pile the $&!# so high they can't even admit something like Miller was clearly a win in retrospect. Like talk about playing the fool. :picard: 

• Cheers 3

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

This is where these guys start sounding real dumb. They gotta pile the $&!# so high they can't even admit something like Miller was clearly a win in retrospect. Like talk about playing the fool. :picard: 

Then doubling down that keeping Miller is crippling the team :lol::picard:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

How is keeping a 99 point player “destroying the future of this team” holy dramatics…

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh please, you guys are being absolute weapons with his thought-process.

At 29 years old, Miller isn't getting better.  His 99 pt season is a clear anomaly thus far.  Only fools would think that the best is yet to come or that the best could be maintained.  It's like neither of you pay attention to what's been going on with this team, or even venture outside of what's going on in the league.

Ask San Jose how Burns, Karlsson, and Couture with their contracts are working out.  
Check in with the Islanders to see how things are with Lee, Nelson, etc all extended at high cap-hits.

The cost to extend Miller will be crippling and his value to trade him WILL NEVER BE HIGHER than it is now.

For once, stop being mindless homer fans and think critically, I beg.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

That's why Killorn is still there, right?

They wanted to move him sooooo badly, that they moved Miller/T.Johnson/Gourde/Coburn/Callahan all before him

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

How much have we won with Miller?  

The timing of the Miller Trade, like the OEL/Garland Trade, was off.  Again, it was Benning trying to speed up the process of rebuilding.  We gave up back to back 1st rounders and a second and third!  And did that during (what should have been) a rebuilding phase!  

The Miller Trade is a lot of why we are a playoff bubble team, that’s capped out, and in the current mess we’re in.