The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JR wants Sandpaper (Discussion)

So, stepping away from my usual alternate universe proposals, I want to suggest we look far and wide for JR's Sand Paper

So, I have come up with a few players..................We will call them targets!

First the UFA's

Josh Manson................I don't think Colorado will be able to afford Mason this summer, especially when he sees what he can get on the open market. Josh has plenty of moxie, and would be a great partner for Quinn Hughes.........................

Evander Kane...............Edmonton would love to retain Kane, but this is Kane's last kick, and he will be looking at getting a decent contract. Edmonton needs him, but IMO can not afford him. There have been no negative reports coming out of Edmonton about Kane............(People do grow up!) Kane shows no signs of slowing down.

Trade Targets

Lawson Crouse..............Arizona is cleaning house, and really when you look at what Arizona has done, does Crouse really fit into Arizona's plans. I mean this guy will be 25 this June, and it is going to be 3 or 4 years, before the baby Coyotes grow up

Joel Edmundson.............This is a big dude, and can clear house quickly! He is 1 year off of a +28 Season. Montreal is in full rebuild now, and I believe he may be available. he comes with decent contract, albeit, he is probably more a top 4 Dman, he would be a hell of an addition. He would look good alongside Schenn/Burroughs

Well, that is all I have...................do you have any additions to the list?

What do you think and what would the cost be?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

So, stepping away from my usual alternate universe proposals, I want to suggest we look far and wide for JR's Sand Paper

So, I have come up with a few players..................We will call them targets!

First the UFA's

Josh Manson................I don't think Colorado will be able to afford Mason this summer, especially when he sees what he can get on the open market. Josh has plenty of moxie, and would be a great partner for Quinn Hughes.........................

Evander Kane...............Edmonton would love to retain Kane, but this is Kane's last kick, and he will be looking at getting a decent contract. Edmonton needs him, but IMO can not afford him. There have been no negative reports coming out of Edmonton about Kane............(People do grow up!) Kane shows no signs of slowing down.

Trade Targets

Lawson Crouse..............Arizona is cleaning house, and really when you look at what Arizona has done, does Crouse really fit into Arizona's plans. I mean this guy will be 25 this June, and it is going to be 3 or 4 years, before the baby Coyotes grow up

Joel Edmundson.............This is a big dude, and can clear house quickly! He is 1 year off of a +28 Season. Montreal is in full rebuild now, and I believe he may be available. he comes with decent contract, albeit, he is probably more a top 4 Dman, he would be a hell of an addition. He would look good alongside Schenn/Burroughs

Well, that is all I have...................do you have any additions to the list?

Around $15 to $20 ... I checked.

Sandpaper Roll 5m x 93mm Aluminum Oxide Sanding Paper for Automotive and  Woodwork, 120 Grit | Walmart Canada

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Lawson Crouse is the guy I would want above all the rest.  He won't be cheap.  Likely a couple higher valued picks/prospects.  I think I even read that they're hunting for a 1st round pick for him.

Would probably cost Rathbone + something else.

• Cheers 1

I don’t see Montreal moving Edmundson.  They are still likely trading Petry. With him gone it leaves them with a very young blue line.  Edmundson brings a veteran presence and size that they’ll otherwise be lacking.  It could easily be Edmundson and Savard as the only true vets. 

The other spots will be a mix of Romanov, Harris, Barron, And likely Guhle.  With call ups  for guys like Norlinder and Struble. 

Edited by qwijibo

12 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

First the UFA's

Trade Targets

Jan, bear in mind that Rutherford also mentioned getting younger and looking for players 26 and under. Crouse is the only one on your list that fits that criteria and I would certainly like to see him on the Canucks but I am not too sure about the others. They are all solid gritty players but I doubt JR would have a lot of interest unless maybe Kane could be had for a real reasonable contract.

How about Brandon Duhaime from the Wild? If we trade Miller I would really like to see us make a pitch for P.L. Dubois out of Winnipeg.

• Cheers 1

Manson just seems so much like the perfect fit for Q. Ed Munson might not be bad either. 
‘Need to get some size in the depth players. Getting Brady Keeper back will help but now with Q, Hunt, Dermott our D has a lot of small bodies and the two big bodies are on the same pairing. 
I assume Podz will bring some size to top 6 F next year but adding a couple more big bodies upfront seems pretty necessary (especially in depth roles) but not as necessary as subtracting some littles from the D. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

First the UFA's

Mason is an interesting target.... but will he do a short term deal? dunno.

I like targeting the Nicks - Paul and Deslauries. They should come in at reasonable cap hits and would bring a lot of what JR is looking for, maybe even at a number that Manson gets but for both guys.

We might have a better chance at bulking up the left side d - Zadorov? 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Lawson Crouse is the guy I would want above all the rest.  He won't be cheap.  Likely a couple higher valued picks/prospects.  I think I even read that they're hunting for a 1st round pick for him.

Would probably cost Rathbone + something else.

Crouse would be awesome

and why wouldn't they want a first or more

he is a 1st round pick with 7 years development

He is just now ready to contribute relative to his draft position

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Mason is an interesting target.... but will he do a short term deal? dunno.

I like targeting the Nicks - Paul and Deslauries. They should come in at reasonable cap hits and would bring a lot of what JR is looking for, maybe even at a number that Manson gets but for both guys.

We might have a better chance at bulking up the left side d - Zadorov? 

I think Nick Paul is playing himself out of our price range.  If he keeps up what he's doing in the playoffs, some team is gonna offer him $3.5M+

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think Nick Paul is playing himself out of our price range.  If he keeps up what he's doing in the playoffs, some team is gonna offer him $3.5M+

he could be. 

I wonder if the new pro-scouting dept will be able to identify some player who can fill this role that we're not thinking of... maybe RFAs that can step into a bigger role like this.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

he could be. 

I wonder if the new pro-scouting dept will be able to identify some player who can fill this role that we're not thinking of... maybe RFAs that can step into a bigger role like this.

Definitely would help a lot to add a player like Paul though.  The size and snarl would be huge for us.

• Cheers 1