The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Mark Giordano

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I as well. But I swear I saw a piece of Orca Eddy die when Simmonds went after him. Code Shmode. You go after my old, veteran, non-fighting dman, then I'm going after your guys. 

Yes, you could see it in his eyes afterwards that he was done as a Canuck just based on lack of team response to that. We still need to get a lot bigger, meaner and more unpleasant to play against.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Yes, you could see it in his eyes afterwards that he was done as a Canuck just based on lack of team response to that. We still need to get a lot bigger, meaner and more unpleasant to play against.

Sure would have been nice to have Schenn on the team for that. He wouldn’t have let that happen, probably have a talk with Simmonds first and that whole embarrassment would have been avoided.

15 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Sure would have been nice to have Schenn on the team for that. He wouldn’t have let that happen, probably have a talk with Simmonds first and that whole embarrassment would have been avoided.

Yes, Schenn's a diamond but he can't be left to do all the heavy lifting on his own. We need to sign at least one and preferably two guys who are not afraid to stand up for their team mates.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

Seems like a bit of a theme now.   AM/Tavares/Marner/Nylander suck up cap like crazy, and old Ontario boys come home to try and win a cup on their last legs for peanuts.    Maybe this time they get out of the first round lol.   On Edler ... Doubt we see him back at this cap hit. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Say what you will about Dubas, but every year, he manages to sign these vets to some ridiculously low salaries. I wish we can do that...

Seems like most of these vets are from Toronto and surrounding areas, so that's probably a factor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Say what you will about Dubas, but every year, he manages to sign these vets to some ridiculously low salaries. I wish we can do that...

Giordano wanted only Toronto.  Maggie the Monkey could have signed a 39 year old Giordano to that contract. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Must be nice having former provincial stars wanting to come home to play as savvy vets. 

It makes me a bit queasy the thought of someone wanting to take a discount to play for the Laffs. 

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Giordano wanted only Toronto.  Maggie the Monkey could have signed a 39 year old Giordano to that contract. 

But that's just the thing - for a lot of these players, they somehow think that Toronto is the only place they want to play in. We can all say that's their hometown team, but how many other teams have that pull year after year? 

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

It makes me a bit queasy the thought of someone wanting to take a discount to play for the Laffs. 

Perhaps, but playing at home can be a powerful motivator for some. We've had some of the BC greats over the years in Courtnall, Morrison, Hamhuis, Mitchell, and Ronning but it'd be nice to see more. 

Benn was the last one who wanted to come home, maybe Hamhuis before him. 

14 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

But that's just the thing - for a lot of these players, they somehow think that Toronto is the only place they want to play in. We can all say that's their hometown team, but how many other teams have that pull year after year? 

Not many, that is for sure.  We've had some, but most of the top BC stars had no desire to ever come back home.  I remember we were after Niedermeyer when he was a UFA, but he chose to go play with his brother in Anaheim to win a Cup.  We were after Sakic at one time as well, but he preferred to stay in Colorado as it was his home.  Lucic didn't wany to come back either.  We had Neely but gave him away.

Toronto has alot more history than most teams, that may be a key reason some players want to play there.

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Geez, that's incredible value for Toronto.

No kidding. He signed that low of a deal just to remain with the Leafs? 

Wish we had those kinds of players that would sign for less to win. 

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not many, that is for sure.  We've had some, but most of the top BC stars had no desire to ever come back home.  I remember we were after Niedermeyer when he was a UFA, but he chose to go play with his brother in Anaheim to win a Cup.  We were after Sakic at one time as well, but he preferred to stay in Colorado as it was his home.  Lucic didn't wany to come back either.  We had Neely but gave him away.

Toronto has alot more history than most teams, that may be a key reason some players want to play there.

Maybe that changes with Bedard when he’s available to come home. 

Was any of those players you mentioned Canuck fans growing up? I know they’re from BC, but just because they were from here doesn’t mean they were cheering for the Canucks. 

54 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Maybe that changes with Bedard when he’s available to come home. 

Was any of those players you mentioned Canuck fans growing up? I know they’re from BC, but just because they were from here doesn’t mean they were cheering for the Canucks. 

When those guys were growing up, the Canucks sucked and Montreal were winning Cups.  Toronto was still relevant as well.  Most players who are now in their late 40's and 50's were either Toronto, Montreal or Boston fans.

But hey, I'm Swedish and Vancouver was my favourite team growing up, so there is hope...  :)

Petey12.jpg