The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Nils Aman

8 hours ago, Provost said:

... and there is Chris Faber after watching a couple of Youtube videos pretending he knows something more about a random European prospect than any of us do from the same clips.

lol :P It'll be a late night = who the heck is he?

Okay note to self, use words like board battles, transitional skater, room to grow, workable project, responsible, two-way player, sees the ice well, needs to work on skating stride, etc.. Okay Chris ... you got this!

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1

If he works really really really really hard, the dominoes fall correctly, and Jupiter aligns with Mars in the Northern Hemisphere in February then there's a chance he could possibly become a third liner in a couple of years. 

Sarcasm aside, we need more depth in our prospect pool on the farm. But this feels like a JR/PA type of Penguins signing where that organization seems to always have a pipeline of valuable depth players coming up like Guentzel, O'Conner, Rust, Marino...etc all in that mid-20's age range. Getting Nils over here soon at his age now to develop for a couple of years then makes sense. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Well we already have a lot of players who can't score so if he is faster and bigger and maybe win face offs? Speed is essential

Åman had a 49.14% faceoff win percentage this season. Third highest percentage on his team, taking the fourth most draws. Nothing special but not bad. Especially for a lanky, late bloomer, in his second SHL season.

I don’t have translation stats for draws, but (anecdotally at least) faceoff success in the SHL tends to carry over fairly well to other elite hockey leagues, so hopefully he can at least hold his own at the AHL/NHL level, and he should get better with age and experience.

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Solinar said:

Free prospect, and more depth/talent for Abbotsford.  If he comes in and shines under the new player development system, you cheer.  If he comes in and falls flat, didn't cost us anything but money for the privilege.  Right age range, and could probably show more than he has, given the right support.

I agree, even Abbotsford is not a given, if they create competition for spots on the Big team and Farm team they can even play in other leagues and earn the right for the top Canuck teams. I like adding young younger guys with potential than keeping older guys who have plateaued in your system

• Upvote 1

I like these bets. The Canucks need to make more of them. Take fliers on these guys and see if any of them pan out. Nils Aman sounds confident but maybe unrealistic about his chances at a NHL spot. I don't believe the Canucks promised him a spot but he's sure as hell going to fight for one, as he should. You want motivated guys battling for spots and there will be a few open spots in the bottom six coming into a camp, I expect. Especially if the Canucks move out a guy like Jason Dickinson and decide not to re-up Alex Chaisson.

I won't be shocked to see them sign a couple of more Euro free agents over the next couple of weeks. They've been pretty open about wanting to infuse the prospect pool with more Euro free agents -- especially since it was a weak College Free Agent class this year because a couple of the high profile College Free Agent's like Jake Livingstone decided to go back to University for an extra year.

More of these signings please!

Good size and defensive awareness, he's most likely for Abbotsford but if he plays a good two-way game and brings a bit more grit into his game then we may well see him called up if/when we get a bottom-6 injury. Hopefully he throws his body around the way Lockwood does and we might have a gem.

According SN650 Allvin has been watching him since he was 16. Also his performance bonus is for this coming season and not the second year of the contract so good incentive for Aman to make the squad this coming year. 
He also was in this year WC Swedish team when Linus Karlsson didn’t even get a game in. I would assume he is ahead of Karlsson ( few months apart in age)

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He may only be 6’3”, but by the look of those arms, he must have a 7’6” wingspan. 

(Don’t talk to me about lens distortion. Åman is clearly the Swedish Kevin Durant.)

Holy $&!#. 

He could literally and figuratively be an albatross. 

The &^@#ing forearms are longer than the reararms. Backarms? Northern-arms? Upper arms, that’s the one. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Haha 3

A fourth line with Aman and Lammikko could be quite pesky for opposing teams.  Both are lanky guys, can skate well, and have enough skill to make a team pay if they make a mistake under pressure.  Either can play C as well, although I assume Lammikko might get more FO assignments, if only because he has started to prove that he is adept at FOs.

20 hours ago, mordekai said:

According SN650 Allvin has been watching him since he was 16. Also his performance bonus is for this coming season and not the second year of the contract so good incentive for Aman to make the squad this coming year. 
He also was in this year WC Swedish team when Linus Karlsson didn’t even get a game in. I would assume he is ahead of Karlsson ( few months apart in age)

Unless we are signing some top or 2nd tier FA forwards, I won't be surprised if we see both Aman and Karlsson to start the season with the big club!! Let's not forget we are in a cap crunch and don't really have a lot of depth anywhere..

On 6/8/2022 at 7:11 AM, Chip Kelly said:

I read that article too... and it's interesting how Rutherford enticed these cheap free agents by assuring them "a spot" on the team... it just shows you how desperate we are to attract any decent forwards to fit under the cap... 

• Upvote 1