The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Andrei Kuzmenko

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

Then why wouldn't he have signed with Edmonton and played with McDavid and Draisatl to rack up points?

Its clear money isn't his only motivating factor.

Imo, the rewards of making the Canucks better gives him the best opportunity to show what he can do, which should increase his marketability among other teams, rather than having an inflated stat total with McD and there is no guarantee, he will even be playing with McD or Draisaitl...  I like that he is gambling on himself cause it means, that he will be a very motivated player, which should benefit him & the Canucks - ONLY if he clicks with this roster ?  But chances, are good he is a good fit and he will be given the best opportunity to succeed.  It will be interesting how the Miller saga will play out cause both will be upcoming FA's and both will also be looking for (big) pay raise.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I do agree with that but if he puts up 60-70 points I am sure there will be teams lining up to sign him.  There is no guarantee he re-signs with Vancouver.  Lots can happen between now and next summer...

This can be said for any player in the NHL at any given time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I'm from Edmonton. And yes, it is one of the best we have here. 

Dunno why the &^@# they took him to Joey's. It's an upper class family restaurant and its menu has progressively gotten $&!#tier every year. 

Deadmonton is Canada’s Siberia. Take that mall out and there is nothing there (even that is getting old)

Edited by grandmaster
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

How about we keep all of them and just trade Dickinson and Pearson.   We need to add to our existing talent. Not moving one step forward one step back. 

How about we move existing talent to a spot where we have no existing talent?

Cough* Rd cough* 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If money was his principle motivator (to set up for his next contract) wouldn't playing with McDrai have him pick the Coilers?  

Hyman was their top player last year outside the big two with 54 points.  McBaby and McDrai take up like 50% of all of the ice time.  Not sure Kuzi would have been better off with those two...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Shouldn't we see what he can really do in the NHL first ? 

Our management team who is far more informed then all of us combined sold him on Vancouver because he would have the opportunity to play top 6 minutes and powerplay time. I think it's pretty safe we can start brain storming ideas with him in the powerplay..

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pittsburgh has the next 3 years to win another Cup.  After than Crosby will most certainly retire and they will be in full rebuild.  I think they go after some short term contracts with veterans who can help them.  Pearson and Myers actually work perfectly into that timeline with 2 years left on their deals.  They may fit better in Pittsburgh than Vancouver.  Marino and Kapanen would fit much better in Vancouver as well, so I can see that type of a trade happening. 

Well, I hope JR/PA could pull that off because like you said it would greatly assist our team.

PIT already has a few Pearson types in their lineup that are younger and just as effective at a lower price point.

I agree on your take on what PIT will do. I just think they could fetch more or better for Marino alone in trade than in this proposed deal.

Anyway, back to topic. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wow, these signings never happen for the Canucks. Playing alongside our youthful forwards including Podz must have played a part. He's been promised top-6 minutes and PP time (probably on the 2nd unit).

If he's even a 20 goal scorer this is huge for our depth. Kuz-Bo-Podz will surely get a lot of time together.

It may be a bit too soon to trade away another young forward because of course Kuz could be a flop, and sounds like JRs working hard to settle Brock's contract, but does that mean Garland's the odd man out? Garland straight up for Marino fills a lot of gaps, or straight up for Zacha?

As it stands, we're stacked with young, good wingers:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Kuz - Horvat - Podkolzin

Garland - ? - Pearson

Highmore - Lammikko - Hoglander

I can't believe I've just read someone suggest Garland straight up for Zacha. Are you heavily undervaluing Garland or heavily overvaluing Zacha? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Well this was a pleasant surprise to wake up to ::D

On my birthday no less!!! :towel:

I agree with what many in here have been saying: Even if the player doesn't hit like we had hoped, at least Rutherford/Allvin have shown that they have the muscle to recruit the most sought after undrafted free agents, etc. To me, that's the most important thing in the big picture. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points about management style but I've seen it so many times working in the corporate world - that it takes just one lizard to get in and ruin a management group (Weisbrod ?).  Anyways, great signing and good chance, he will be a highly motivated individual to perform (1yr deal).

I have as well - I know that too well. If the 'top boss' sees that lizard because they're engaged and aware, they can work around it.

I've also seen in the corporate world that lizards are a necessary evil. They're really good at spotting other lizards, so if you've got one and know it, keep it around because it'll flush the others out for you.

15 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Some people only see points as way to evaluate. I would take Tuch for Boeser. 

Tuch is not moving. Buffalo loves the guy. Huge reason why they have had a positive vibe throughout the organization finally after all these years

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

why? i dont get it. they get older,slower and add cap.

i can see why we would do it but not pittsburgh

They wouldn't touch at all. Why would they take 2 older, more expensive versions of the 2 guys they are trading away? Lol 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

On my birthday no less!!! :towel:

I agree with what many in here have been saying: Even if the player doesn't hit like we had hoped, at least Rutherford/Allvin have shown that they have the muscle to recruit the most sought after undrafted free agents, etc. To me, that's the most important thing in the big picture. 

Happy Birthday!:frantic:

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

That's the face of not having to go to JOEY for a kids meal with Holland anymore

i think it was the hollandaise sauce, they put on the burgers there. does he take pearson's spot? maybe now, boeser or garland gets traded to NJ for zacha, mukhamadullin and a second.

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Tuch is not moving. Buffalo loves the guy. Huge reason why they have had a positive vibe throughout the organization finally after all these years

Oh I know he isn’t going anywhere and for good reason.  
One of the big reasons Vegas sucked this year was they traded their heart and soul when they traded him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1