The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dubois Will Not Re-sign as RFA, Will Enter Market as UFA in 2024

Something rotten in Winnipeg...

Whatever the issue is they are over a barrel now, upper management must be steaming, they traded their prized 1st rounder for him.

Now he has zero trade value and your investment ends in two years.

And people complain about the state of the canucks... 

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

What if Montréal doesn’t want him? LOL 

I'm actually hoping that's the case, Montreal could likely get by just fine with Suzuki on his newly minted deal and Dach, they're pretty set as far as wingers go. 

What I could see happening is them moving out Suzuki for Dubois but it might cost Winnipeg more than Dubois. It'd give Winnipeg a young center who's locked into a long term deal, which is something they don't have. Suzuki has no trade protection til years later. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'm actually hoping that's the case, Montreal could likely get by just fine with Suzuki on his newly minted deal and Dach, they're pretty set as far as wingers go. 

What I could see happening is them moving out Suzuki for Dubois but it might cost Winnipeg more than Dubois. It'd give Winnipeg a young center who's locked into a long term deal, which is something they don't have. Suzuki has no trade protection til years later. 

Why would Montréal give up on Suzuki for Dubois? 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

They wouldn’t.  Suzuki is likely the next captain.  He’s a far more complete player than PLD and he’s signed long term. He’s one of their untouchables 

44 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wanting out doesn't hurt them as much because they can still field offers, but if he's reportedly set on one team if basically puts them in a position like we were in with Kesler. 

Well it's not really the same because he can't refuse a trade like Kesler could. A team might be willing to part with assets and hope that by putting PLD in a good spot on their team that's trending upwards they might be able to tempt him to resign. It would be a gamble but most trades carry an element of risk that the player might walk at the end.

49 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Well it's not really the same because he can't refuse a trade like Kesler could. A team might be willing to part with assets and hope that by putting PLD in a good spot on their team that's trending upwards they might be able to tempt him to resign. It would be a gamble but most trades carry an element of risk that the player might walk at the end.

lol any GM that gives up good asset for PLD to gamble he'll change his mind shouldn't be a GM.. it's pretty clear PLD only cares about money and where he plays.. not so much about winning or being competitive.. don't care what any of you think.. montreal ain't going anywhere anytime soon.. Defenseman and goalie don't grow on trees they have neither in their farm that u can say will be the next carey price or weber

unless the cost for PLD is peanuts.. no team should be trading any asset worthwhile... or at the TDL when u are on ur cup run..

Edited by wai_lai416

1 hour ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Something rotten in Winnipeg...

Whatever the issue is they are over a barrel now, upper management must be steaming, they traded their prized 1st rounder for him.

Now he has zero trade value and your investment ends in two years.

And people complain about the state of the canucks... 

Yeah, man, I feel bad for the Jets. Hopefully this isn’t an early sign that players don’t want to be there. If they lose that franchise again, it’s never coming back to Winnipeg. But Dubois is also a prick. I’m not a fan of the Jets, but the guy seems like a douche bag. 

21 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol any GM that gives up good asset for PLD to gamble he'll change his mind shouldn't be a GM.. it's pretty clear PLD only cares about money and where he plays.. not so much about winning or being competitive.. don't care what any of you think.. montreal ain't going anywhere anytime soon.. Defenseman and goalie don't grow on trees they have neither in their farm that u can say will be the next carey price or weber

unless the cost for PLD is peanuts.. no team should be trading any asset worthwhile... or at the TDL when u are on ur cup run..

Well, it’s not going to be for peanuts. Winnipeg should be asking for a high return for a 24 year old centre. But I’m not sure Winnipeg’s going to get the return they’re looking for. I mean, if it’s hard for the Canucks to get what they want for Miller, and he’s been “good” - I wonder if Winnipeg’s going to get what they want for a player who has publicly made it know that he will only play for one team, assuming that team wants him. 

I think Winnipeg would rather let Dubois walk for nothing, then trade him for peanuts. 

But yeah, something is wrong in Jets-land. Hopefully they can get back to winning, and become a place where players want to go, because they’re a winning organization.  

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, it’s not going to be for peanuts. Winnipeg should be asking for a high return for a 24 year old centre. But I’m not sure Winnipeg’s going to get the return they’re looking for. I mean, if it’s hard for the Canucks to get what they want for Miller, and he’s been “good” - I wonder if Winnipeg’s going to get what they want for a player who has publicly made it know that he will only play for one team, assuming that team wants him. 

I think Winnipeg would rather let Dubois walk for nothing, then trade him for peanuts. 

But yeah, something is wrong in Jets-land. Hopefully they can get back to winning, and become a place where players want to go, because they’re a winning organization.  

at least any teams trading for Miller doesn't know he will flat out say no to re-signing with them and have a chance of re-signing him. so there'll be 2 types of team chasing after miller teams that are not exactly a cup contender but would like to sign miller to help push them into the next stage.. and then there's the team that straight up looking for a pure playoff rental with no intent on re-signing him. in PLD's case.. only teams interested at making a cup push would consider making a move for him at the TDL.. the choices and teams becomes quite limited.. vs before when probably most teams in the league would be interested if PLD was available. 

Play PLD in a 3rd line.. play him in defensive situations tank his value next season and take him to arbitration in the summer so he gets a much lower contract than his QO.. then trade him as a rental and get whatever u can get. Winnipeg is coming out of this mess created by PLD as a loser no matter what. might as well drag that entitled brat thru the mud with them.

honestly i don't think there's anything wrong in jets land.. it's just where they are located.. all the NHLers are millionaires.. who wants to live in the middle of no where that's extremely cold in the winter and hot in the summer and lots of mosquitos. when there are so many options for NHL players.. Winnipeg is prolly near last in most desireable NHL city to play/live in. i'm not even sure if they have much choices in terms of food and high end restaurants to eat at even if they have money to spend.. was reading up couple years ago lol kegs is like in their top 10 best place to eat in winnipeg.

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

They likely don't, but I could see Winnipeg asking for him even if they had to add. If only for stability down the middle via his long term deal.

Also depends on how Montreal views Dubois.

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

He can't, but he can impact where he goes via his willingness or unwillingness to extend. Sure, a team could roll the dice on trying to entice him but I don't reckon many teams would be interested in giving up what he'd cost to potentially have him walk.

He seems set on having his cake and eating it too.

Edited by Coconuts

50 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They likely don't, but I could see Winnipeg asking for him even if they had to add. If only for stability down the middle via his long term deal.

Also depends on how Montreal views Dubois.

He can't, but he can impact where he goes via his willingness or unwillingness to extend. Sure, a team could roll the dice on trying to entice him but I don't reckon many teams would be interested in giving up what he'd cost to potentially have him walk.

He seems set on having his cake and eating it too.

lol dubois showed up at the draft in montreal expected to be traded to montreal on draft day but montreal refuse to give up probably suzuki now he gets to rot for 2 more years in winnipeg XD

People are over blowing this so much.  The kid has made it known thst he won’t be extending beyond UFA.   That’s two years out.  

And at no time did he say he’d only sign in Montreal.  His agent said Montréal is a city he’d enjoy playing in.   He never said it was the only place he’d sign.  (As opposed to Adam Fox, who really did destroy His trade value by declaring he would only sign with the Rangers).

People need to ease up here. 

If Winnipeg decides to trade him they’ll get several good offers.  

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

honestly there isn't any hence some teams/GM/Owners with balls should put one of those whiny players that comes out and said he doesn't want to be here with a bunch of years left on the rfa permanately on the 4th line.. they can get chump change for arbitration or they can go play in europe till they are 27

I think you should cut these players some slack. They are drafted at 18 years old, some are even 17. What do they know other than what parents, agents or teams are saying to them. Some are puffed up beyond realistic and others are so anxious to impress that they discount any council that threatens their goal of making the NHL. Does a 18 year old view the world differently as a 24-25 year old. Geez most do, is my experience. As fans we want are team to build towards serious CUP contention and want the team to make hard decisions to reach there. The concerns of young players take 2nd place. IMHO the challenge for NHL teams is putting more effort into their HR departments. Strong relationships can tip the balance. 

Dubois was drafted by Columbus and played there under Torts for 3 years. Started the NHL at 19 and is a 5 year pro. He wanted out of there and had no choice about going to the Peg. The fact that he doesn't want to stay should not totally surprise Chevy. A NHL career is the peak of his chosen ambition but at the end of the day it is the means to and end. Most everyone has a choice where they work. Pro athletes are indentured for a period of their career and I don't have a problem with that. The NHL is not as monolithic as it seems. Clubs have to have some certainty in how they develop their programs. UFA status is an out that players have earned.   

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Whatever the cases being made here.

He tanked his value.  He handcuffed the Jets in ways even Kesler didn't do to Vancouver.

He all but said he expected to be traded there and will plan on signing long term there.  With so little time left as an RFA he holds the value of a decent winger under cost controlled numbers.  But that's it.  Who as a team not during a playoff push/rush would pay the premium for this kid knowing he has little heart to play for their team, city?

I feel once he's in Montreal he will stop half arsing it and become a solid player but I also feel he has absolutely made himself worthless to the Jets in terms of being an asset.

It's actually lesser then what Duchene did in COL.   He wanted out.   Maybe he's doing WNP a favour.   That said the lustre of WNP is drying out.   As a franchise with a truly deep history going back to the WHA.   It's sad.    Really that team should be a powerhouse now and the last few years as well.   Losing their entire right side ... Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers wasn't easy.   Imagine if we lost our entire left side!      Feel that place is going to be a perpetual down cycle, followed by a lot of promise and then another down cycle.   Even their kissing cousin in ARI...  Seems to be a little bit cursed to suffer like - hey us!   At least they have those AVCO cups to keep them warm at night.   

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, qwijibo said:

People are over blowing this so much.  The kid has made it known thst he won’t be extending beyond UFA.   That’s two years out.  

And at no time did he say he’d only sign in Montreal.  His agent said Montréal is a city he’d enjoy playing in.   He never said it was the only place he’d sign.  (As opposed to Adam Fox, who really did destroy His trade value by declaring he would only sign with the Rangers).

People need to ease up here. 

If Winnipeg decides to trade him they’ll get several good offers.  

He should never publicize this though.  I guess he wants to be traded now and so this is his way.  It's a bit of a tough statement to the teammates to go public about wanting to leave within 2 years.  Toxic to the team and there will be endless talk now focused on him instead of the team.  

Agree with many here, no thanks to a player like this.  He's too young to have burnt bridges with two clubs already.

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Teams regularly make questionable gambles in the hopes that they can get lucky. PLD is a quality player, even if his attitude isn't the greatest, and if he wants to get paid playing for the Habs (or anywhere else) he's not going to be able to coast through the next two years into free agency. Is he a bit of a d!ck, maybe. Did he or his representatives handcuff the Jets by leaking his desire to leave Winnipeg, probably a bit but it's not disastrous. The Jets will still get some assets - maybe not the top tier assets they could've gotten if this information hadn't leaked but they won't be giving him away for free. If they don't get what they think he's worth then they've got a pretty good C for their team until he becomes a UFA. 

This kid is one entitled baby. Jeeebus christo your rights are limited as an RFA for a reason. Massive investment for the team who needs to get some sort of garenteed return. You earn the right to choose where you want to play come UFA years. 

Making this public is pathetic, Young kid with no character. He will mature one day but this is sad for wpg. Pretty much going to loss him for nothing and now stuck with the lockerroom cancer as well