The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade Ryan McDonagh to Predators for Philippe Myers, Grant Mismash

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

@mll I thought Poile was dedicated to a slow long proper rebuild (doesn't want to win) and there is no way he's taking on an older player like Miller?

Exactly what I've been saying for months

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Tampa is just loaded with Right Handed D-men prospects.

A lot are from the 3rd round.

Maybe that's something the Canucks should look at doing?

We absolutely should have been (during the Benning era) accumulating second and third round picks and drafting D with them.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Miller for Fabbro?

But why would Poille trade a younger guy for a guy who (when resigned to an extension) will be 36-37 when that contract is up?  Oh.  That’s right.  He just traded for a 33 year old guy who will be 37 when his contract is over.  

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, mll said:

His words.  He explained that they want to compete while transitioning to a younger core. 

They haven't given up much of anything so I am not sure they've changed direction.  Philippe Myers was even loaned to the Marlies - they didn't even keep him in their system to end the season. Mismash has 12pts in 57 AHL games. 

McDonagh will help them improve defensively - Nashville has struggled to defend for some time. 

do you think this might make Ekholm more tradable? 

Just now, stawns said:

Exactly what I've been saying for months

They didn't give up anything of value.  They didn't give up a high draft pick, key prospect or young player of value.

`
Poile has always said they want to remain competitive as they transition to a younger core.  They are still trying to extend Forsberg.  

If they start giving up key futures for older players then that is a clear change of direction, but otherwise it looks like they've improved while not hurting their future.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

But why would Poille trade a younger guy for a guy who (when resigned to an extension) will be 36-37 when that contract is up?  Oh.  That’s right.  He just traded for a 33 year old guy who will be 37 when his contract is over.  

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

They might also be losing Forsberg and are clearly desperate to stay competitive.

Fabbro would be the perfect partner for Hughes IMO.

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I guess this means Cal Foote is ready for a bigger role?

That would be the natural fit, wouldn't it.  It's enlightening to see how some teams have organizational succession plans while we have, well.....

• Haha 1

Just now, JM_ said:

do you think this might make Ekholm more tradable? 

He hasn't even started his new deal.  

I don't think so.  They haven't been very good defensively and McDonagh should help.  

Wouldn't be surprised if Ekholm goes back to playing with Josi and Fabbro drops to the 3rd pairing or they could use Fabbro as trade chip.  They seem high on Carrier but Fabbro might not be top-4 material, but he is a RHD and still fairly young so he could have trade value. 

They are concerned about their 2nd line.  They just didn't have much scoring from that line.  I think they would like more proven/veteran players for that line but I am not sure they would part with high draft picks key prospects.  Younger guys like Kunin, Tolvanen could be available though.

• Thanks 1