The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canuck were you wrong about? Good or Bad?

Rate this topic

danjr

OJ. I wasn’t a fan of the pick, but I still felt his floor was pretty high and, at worst, he’d end up being a useful, every day player that would fill a spot on our D for several years.

Also thought Matt Brassard (currently playing in USports) and Evan McEneny (retired) might have the skills to become depth/bottom-pair NHL Dmen.

(And, perhaps most regrettable, I also used to think Jake Virtanen was a “good kid.” :sadno:)

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, danjr said:

Lots of times I do buy into the hype of rabid fans.  At the draft there was so much talk about the league becoming faster and more skilled.
Hunter Shinkaruk was in my mind a sure fire winner for this team.  Not gonna lie, I really blew it on that guess.

1 single solitary game for this franchise.  At least we got the better end of the deal by trading him for Granlund.

So who were you wrong about?  Was it someone you thought was going to be a bum and exceed all expectations.  Or a player you thought was going to become a league star for us?

I've been wrong about a few but, the one I found to mis-read the most was Quinn Hughes.

Never saw him as a dominant defender but, last season really showed his desire to improve his game and become a 3 zone defender. I was really surprised (in a good way) that he was able to plug the lane the way he did and also intercept a lot of pucks last year. I even saw him push back at the opposition a couple times. It leads me to believe that there's still more to his game that can be evolved.

• Cheers 1

Well yes, i can agree with many of the above.

But for me, the most wrong I ever bin was rooting for Green to become head coach.

At the time, he'd some Cup success in Utica and rumors had him interviewing at a few NHL teams.

In retrospect, I think it was more desperation to rid ourselves of Twitchy's most boring hockey ever.

If we'd only known.

• Cheers 1

Jeez...where do I start?  I'm wrong more times than I'm right.  Like. by. a. lot.

• Jake Virtanen.  Thought he was going to be a bonafide powerforward in the NHL.
  • Olli Juolevi.  Was on record stating that he looked like a young Nick Lidstrom.
  • Chris Tanev.  Thought his ceiling was a bottom 5/6 d-man.  Didn't realize how good he was until he was paired up with Quinn Hughes and especially after he left.
  • L o u i E r i k s s o n.  Thought he'd be the perfect third Sedin. 
  • Jim Benning.  Drank the kool-aid that he was going to be a draft whiz and bring in a bunch of superstars via the draft.  He did alright with Pettersson, Boeser, Demko, Hughes, Podkolzin, Hoglander.  So far, the only superstar out that bunch is Demko and Hughes.
  • Too many others to list. 

Lots of my expectations have been off-target. although I was pretty negative about Benning generally and critical of many his moves.

1. I underestimated Petey. I did not like that pick at #5 overall but he turned into a great pick.

2. I did not like the trade for Miller.  I thought it was the wrong time to be trading away first round picks. But Miller has been better than I expected.

3. I though Baertschi would be great value for a second round pick.

4. I thought Tevor Linden would do a great job as team president. But he hired Benning, then got fired. 

Not a complete list, but those are the ones that come to mind. 

For me, it is Brogan Rafferty.  I saw maybe 2/3rds of his games that season in Utica when he looked like the second coming of Paul Coffey.  Don't know if his inactivity that next season sitting in the taxi squad destroyed him, but his game wasn't the same when he had his cup of coffee during the Canadian Division year

• Upvote 1

Usual suspects have been mentioned (Cody, Olli, Jake, Loui...)
Good for us would be Corey Schneider.  Thought we got fleeced when we traded him to get Horvat's draft pick, but boy have their careers taken opposite turns.
Dickinson too -- I was so glad when I saw the notification on my phone last FA opening day when it said he was traded here; he still has time to prove he's worth the deal.

5 hours ago, Fen1010 said:

I hated the Petey pick. I was on the Cody Glass hype train big time. Don't mind eating crow on that one.

This.  All day long.  So glad GMJB wasn’t asleep at the wheel on this pick

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

OJ. I wasn’t a fan of the pick, but I still felt his floor was pretty high and, at worst, he’d end up being a useful, every day player that would fill a spot on our D for several years.

Also thought Matt Brassard (currently playing in USports) and Evan McEneny (retired) might have the skills to become depth/bottom-pair NHL Dmen.

(And, perhaps most regrettable, I also used to think Jake Virtanen was a “good kid.” :sadno:)

Supposed to be our next “Ohlund”?  Very disappointed it didn’t work out.  He had some promise for sure. 

Let's see....   

Marco Sturm 

David Booth 

Derek Roy 

Loui 

Brendan Leipsic 

Guillaume Brisebois 

That's just in the last 10 years...