The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canuck were you wrong about? Good or Bad?

Rate this topic

danjr

23 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I posted about 10 years ago that Cody Hodgson would be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL

I probably agreed with you on that one, I thought he would be a building block centre for this team...... Of course that was before he ever played a single minute in the NHL.

Edited by GB5
  • Cheers 1

Jere Gillis (4th. OA 1977)  different dude; played just over 3 seasons with Van.

Michel Petit (11th. OA 1982)  played 3 rather disappointing seasons with Van.

Dan Woodley (7th. OA 1986)  played a total of 5 games with Van.  Waste of a high pick.

Jason Herter (8th. OA 1989)  played zero games with Van;  another waste of a high pick.

Libor Polasek (21st. OA 1992) played zero games with Van;  another waste of a high pick. 

Mike Wilson (20th. OA 1993) played zero games with Van;  another waste of a high pick. 

Note that's 3 @ 1st. rounders in 5 years who never played a single game for Van.  Quite the testament to the scouting & management department !   I'll stop here.

• Cheers 1

Never really praise anyone but really thought OJ would become something. I'll never forget seeing him in pre season acting like a child laying on the ice.

Next up is Woo. Oh the joys of botching two high firsts and three seconds in a short amount of time rippp

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

Good point. And, thanks in large part to the examples of Vey and Baertschi, I now agree. So I learned something from the Benning era. 

If the drafting team gives up on a player, that is a significant negative indicator.

Of course, sometimes guys do recover and go on to have good careers. But that is rare enough so that we should view all these guys as longshots and it does not pay to give up significant assets to get them.

Of course, the Canucks just signed a couple of :second chance" entry level free agents in this category. But that is fine, because the Canucks did not give up any assets to get them. If the Canucks have several undrafted and "second chance" entry level free agents (as they do) there is a decent chance that one or even two might actually help the team down the road, so I am all in favor.  

If you believe that, then there will never be another Markus Naslund trade.  That trade worked out well for us.:)

Just now, Viper007 said:

If you believe that, then there will never be another Markus Naslund trade.  That trade worked out well for us.:)

Marcus was one tough MOFUl. I remember when he broke his leg and he literally crawled off the ice instead of lying there.  Skill, leadership, toughness.  Marcus was incredible.  

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone is going to say Petey but in the sense that he hasn’t panned out.

I think at some point he will have a breakout year. Reminds me of MacKinnon’s journey which was 4 mediocre seasons and broke out in his 5th season.

Petey is entering his 5th season this year. Very important next couple of seasons for him. Is he overhyped? I think not. A point per game season should begin to silence any doubters.

Despite early struggles, I had high expectations on Juolevi and Virtanen and I was really hyped when Gaudette made his debut.

On the other hand, when in 2019 the team acquired Luke Schenn I had zero expecations on him. He became pretty quickly one of my favourite Canucks.

• Cheers 1

Bad : 

O.J - thought he was gonna be Edler 2.0 allll the way up to the end of the first pandemic season. 

Gaudette - Watched him play at North Eastern Twice and thought he was gonna be Kesler 2.0 he never stopped moving and absolutely hammered a couple of goals.

Honourable mentions : Cassels, Subban, Dhalin, Woo ( tho not given up just yet...)

Good : 

McCann  : Was hopeful After the first year but with all the mumblings here and after he was traded out of Florida I was sure he was gonna end up a bust. Saying that we traded him for scaps so not really good. 

Pearson : Thought he was gonna be a slow lazy fatzo, but has been a pleasant suprise over what we saw in Pittsburg.  Saying that he's now overpaid and we traded Badbrandson for him (see above sigh), which i would have basically taken a flaming dumpster and a Brad Marchand signed jersey for and still not been that upset.. dam he sucked. 

I'm pretty optimistic about most of our signings and prospects tho so its a short list full of mostly disappointments 

3 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Same for me with Messier. 

Just thinking about it now makes me wanna gag. 

Forgot about him "on purpose" 

Anyway yeah that was another big one... I don't know what it is about Vancouver but our overall luck with all sorts of things from the lottery to freak accidents, we've had it all, things good happening? Here and there yeah BUT usually it's SUCKED!! Swear we're cursed...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, GB5 said:

I probably agreed with you on that one, I thought he would be a building block centre for this team...... Of course that was before he ever played a single minute in the NHL.

He seemed pretty big on himself ego-wise so he got brought back down to earth pretty fast. 

2 hours ago, singing chef said:

Jere Gillis (4th. OA 1977)  different dude; played just over 3 seasons with Van.

Michel Petit (11th. OA 1982)  played 3 rather disappointing seasons with Van.

Dan Woodley (7th. OA 1986)  played a total of 5 games with Van.  Waste of a high pick.

Jason Herter (8th. OA 1989)  played zero games with Van;  another waste of a high pick.

Libor Polasek (21st. OA 1992) played zero games with Van;  another waste of a high pick. 

Mike Wilson (20th. OA 1993) played zero games with Van;  another waste of a high pick. 

Note that's 3 @ 1st. rounders in 5 years who never played a single game for Van.  Quite the testament to the scouting & management department !   I'll stop here.

That's why when people say Benning was a disaster, they need context. He was lousy, but not a disaster.

The year I started following our draft picks was Linden (high hopes and turned out great), then Petr Nedved (also high hopes... Was okay but no Jagr though!!).  Started digging into players and prospects in 99' with the twins (through hockey news, subscription from 99' to 08').  Deeper into prospects was when info became abundant (for me anyway) via the internet was 08'... So Hodgson.  Was highly touted and I was fully on board with the pick.  He was to be the next Captain!  09' Rodin and Schroeder (before I was hogs and podz I was 'rodischred').  Thought they would be awesome!!!  Was hopeful about Nicklus Jensen... And Gaunce but didn't have my hopes to high.  Figured Cole Cassels (from pedigree) and defending McJesus, would be our future shut down forward!

But if I'm honest... The player that I was most wrong about was 1)Virtanen... 2)Juolevi 

The player(s) I wanted us to draft and we did... And hope to be most right about are... Yes you guessed it, Höglander and Podkolzin. 

.... And I was never on board with Loui pick up... Mostly nervous about the money and term... Unfortunately right with that one.

Edited by Hogs & Podz

I was hugely disappointed that Vladimir Krutov lacked the character of his countryman and linemate Igor Larionov. Apparently Krutov had a serious hot dog habit and didn't really make the transition to the North American game. He lasted 61 games in Vancouver, while Larionov played 921 NHL games, counting 169 goals, 475 assists and two Stanley Cups. Krutov, for me, was the biggest disappointment in a lengthy list of disappointments in Canucks history. 

On the positive side of the ledger, I wasn't excited about Alex Burrows in his first couple of years (21 points in 124 games), but once he clicked with the Sedins he was an undisputed top line player. Quite a leap for an non-drafted kid who started his pro career at the bottom with the ECHL Greenville Grrrrowl, Baton Rouge Kingfish and the Columbia Inferno, then continued with the Manitoba Moose until arriving in Vancouver, scratching and clawing for every minute of ice time he could get. Burrows has to be the poster boy for what ambition can achieve in the face of long odds.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2