The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

People need to get off the whole OJ issue. He was a good pick but got overrun with really bad injuries after being drafted.

Feel free to beat up Benning over drafting Virtanen, but OJ, at the time, was a solid pick. He's who Burke would have chosen if we went with Tkachuk as they have both ranked as equal in Calgary.

OJ was not a solid pick, Tkachuk was the consensus best player available. The Virtanen draft there was a lot of discussion between 4 players at our spot, Nylander, Virtanen, Ehlers, and Ritchie. We chose wrong. 

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

22 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

OJ was not a solid pick, Tkachuk was the consensus best player available. The Virtanen draft there was a lot of discussion between 4 players at our spot, Nylander, Virtanen, Ehlers, and Ritchie. We chose wrong. 

Here you go, direct quote from Brian Burke. Tkachuk was a flashier player the Canucks were looking for someone who could settle games down and close them out, that's what they drafted for. See link: 

GM's are not clairvoyant and are not expected to be except by fans. All players past the first 3 or 4 in that draft were essentially classified as pretty equal through to #15, the expectation was that teams would select based on organizational need. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Probably more like they thought those were the best players to pick with those picks.

Are they not to use their contacts in Sweden then? 

Don't want to look too Swedish for CDC poster Elias Pettersson..

Meh, I'm still pissed they picked another Petey.  Gonna make for some difficult posting in the future...   :sadno:

57 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Meh, I'm still pissed they picked another Petey.  Gonna make for some difficult posting in the future...   :sadno:

Yeh, I hear ya man.

This year.  So difficult to eat all the difficulties.

On another note, if Letterkenney is as good as your namesake, bling, bling, we have a Winner!

I think, in the draft, management was looking far into the future, and not addressing current issues at all.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

People need to get off the whole OJ issue. He was a good pick but got overrun with really bad injuries after being drafted.

So that's my point this looks like the trend Lekkerimaki could be. Fair or not this could be his trajectory. 

22 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He should have been playing top 6 last game when their other top guys were failing to get it done.

To me, this was a coaching issue more than a JL issue.  For whatever reason this coach played favourites more than any swedish coach I've seen in awhile.  I watched JL closely and thought he looked fine, the coach just seemed to have something against him.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So that's my point this looks like the trend Lekkerimaki could be. Fair or not this could be his trajectory. 

Hopefully not, we seem to be exceptionally good at drafting guys who wind up with prematurely ended careers due to injury etc.

7 hours ago, stawns said:

To me, this was a coaching issue more than a JL issue.  For whatever reason this coach played favourites more than any swedish coach I've seen in awhile.  I watched JL closely and thought he looked fine, the coach just seemed to have something against him.

I'm appreciating the Canucks official position that we need to be patient. We've picked him so let's be supportive and hope he pulls through.  That said, the noise coming from scouts has not been positive.  There are good draft years and other years where very few become solid NHL players.  Can't hit a home run each year neither.  But let's be honest....the Canucks need a break here at some point. 

One last thought.....Watching high picks suddenly drop off in their development is tough but not as tough as seeing a huge new contract dished out and then see a drop-off in play.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Bottom line young swede turned 18 at end of summer..He started season with injury and then mono?? 

Just started to get health in early December and still so young.....

Guys on site calling this a Bust is ridiculous ...

But how else do you compensate for having a small wee-wee then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

You will have to explain your humour???? I am talking about a 18 yr old Lekkerimaki that has had injuries all season..

This kid has skill and will show all you negative poster.. 

He is just starting to get healthy in early December so not close to playing his game yet..

Least negative people are in small percentage in life..

If he c

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, wildcam said:

You will have to explain your humour???? I am talking about a 18 yr old Lekkerimaki that has had injuries all season..

He is just starting to get healthy in early December so not close to playing his game yet..

If he c

I doubt anyone has seen his game yet so I don’t know why he is a bust already, I guess the other side of that is he’s not a lock to be an nhl er . He was decent at the wolrld juniors, let’s hope he develops :)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, wildcam said:

If he c

My post wasn't directed at you. I was talking about those who girls never found attractive in high school, so they take it to the forums to call 18 and a half year olds who had mono and a recent concussion busts (a whopping 6 months after being drafted!).

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

My post wasn't directed at you. I was talking about those who girls never found attractive in high school, so they take it to the forums to call 18 and a half year olds who had mono and a recent concussion busts (a whopping 6 months after being drafted!).

Yeah, pretty much. Anyone who claims to see a kid who is not even old enough to legally drink yet as a bust, because he had a couple of recent health issues that could have happened to anybody, pretty much has to be either a troll or a simpleton. And I have to agree with you that a tiny wee-wee and a lack of attractiveness could certainly have an impact on how they became a troll.