The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big time disappointment this off-season so far?

Rate this topic

23 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I am disappointed because I have been waiting to see what JR and PAs Canucks are going to look like. 
Draft picks are draft picks, won’t know for several years. 
Ultimately Drafted a small RW that isn’t a great skater. Maybe he is going to be great, I hope so.

‘It is just that so far the new Canucks still look like and are acting like Benning’s Canucks. 

His skating has been praised by Allvin and also scouting reports.  Not sure where this "not a great skater" narrative comes from? 

18 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We pay a pretty penny im sure for guys  to run this multi billion dollar business.  Should you really act like you know better than them based off some tweets and a 2 1/2 hour game on tv? Lay off the panic button and your vision will become more clear!

All but 7 contracts are up in two years. That's legit a fresh start under EP Huggy and demko. Followed by OEL, Garland, boeser and unfortunately poolman. Is that really the end of the world with these guys? I don't think so.

We don't have alot in the cupboards, can you change the past? No. So why live in it. Just move on and realize we have a damn near clean slate if everyone can develop a little bit of patience. I get it's a big ask with how our teams been ran in the past but still. I'd chill out because we are not that bad off compared to some teams IMO

I am always amazed at how much NHL executives get paid to run a $2B franchise/industry.

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

ANY player can get hurt or not live up to expectations.

I get the thinking that his value is the highest now....but maybe that's worth considering in keeping him? I mean, trade him away for picks and prospects and that's not a sure fire guarantee either. There's always risk involved.

I think people feel like he's going to abruptly hit a wall and fall apart. I just don't see that being a realistic view...he's ultra competitive and, like Burr, his desire to win is his driving force. He HATES losing and wears that on his sleeve. You don't just get rid of those guys and, if you do, you better be getting what they're worth. There's a reason he created some hype out there. 

Ironic, cpl of friends were saying similar after I bought a metal/gold detector earlier today and mentioned going out to creeks and I got the 'what if something happened to me out there" 

Well like you pointed out everything has its risk and as a team, we're in no position to do anything lightly especially since players have to pay escrow before the cap goes anywhere substantial. 

I'd have signed him and traded Boeser for a smart promising top 4-6 Dman prospect/s on ELC status so JT's raise would be covered.

And there's still Kuz, if he comes in and lights it up we have to pay big the following season.. 

Any small screw ups now could be cost large later, I'd rather have a GM that takes the time to think things through and ignores media and fans as much as possible and don't go taking risks that we can't afford right now as we stand today. 

Honestly I had Hoped  for a move or two to address the many issues we have including cap and lack of prospects and the D.

it is what is.

it’s fine to be disappointed the chatter and hype had us trading and adding picks it didn’t happen it’s a bit of let down.
Kinda like at Christmas when all you want is real Sony Walkman and you get a Casio cassette eater instead.  

tomorrows a new day. 

• Upvote 1

Very fair to be upset after 8 years of what's happened. People calling for patience is also forgetting Giroux was moved ( Tippett, a 2024 first-round draft pick, and a 2023 third-round pick). Hagel was moved for even more (2 1sts Raddysh andKatchuok). The ability to create excuses for management on CDC is amazing, but ok.. 

Seems more like management is undecided if they wanted to keep Miller/Boeser; keep or trade? If they had a clear direction, get it done already. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I am disappointed because I have been waiting to see what JR and PAs Canucks are going to look like. 
Draft picks are draft picks, won’t know for several years. 
Ultimately Drafted a small RW that isn’t a great skater. Maybe he is going to be great, I hope so.

‘It is just that so far the new Canucks still look like and are acting like Benning’s Canucks. 

The difference is we drafted BPA today. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I am so happy that in the first round we picked up another small Swede instead of a tough Canadian kid! 

sarcasm-meter.jpeg

Who are the other small Swedes we've historically selected in the 1st round? 

Somebody needs to go out in the sun. The Duchene trade didn’t happen on draft day, Sakic took his time and made his move when HE wanted not the fans, not the media, the GM of the team. It paid off. It pays to have a spine and patience. It’s July not September. Holy mackerel!  

• Cheers 2

I think it is fair to be disappointed that things didn’t happen today.
Have been waiting a long time for new group to put their stamp on the team and still haven’t. 

If the right deals didn’t come they didn’t come. Better not to be pressured into a bad deal. 
Just hoping for something to hang hat on and say this is PA’s team. 
So far some nice free prospects and a decent trade deadline that got rid of a malcontent and brought in another smallish d-man. 
Still want to see what JR and PA are thinking this team should go.

Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week.  Trader Jim not looking like trader Jim atm.

• Cheers 1