The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) CGY Gaudreau seeking 10mill+ per year on new deal

RWJC

42 minutes ago, JM_ said:

how is this possible? Islanders only have 11 mil in cap space and need to re-sign Dobson and Romanov. 

I wonder if they have a plan to move Barzal if lil Jonny signs?

Philly has even less cap space. 

They are probably not trading Barzal - Gaudreau gives him someone to play with.  They weren't planning on trading Varlamov but could be an option + demand is high in goalies. 

Ellis might not be able to return and they bought out Lindblom - the two combine for over 9M.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

my god, Kadri and Tkatpuke on the same team. Evander Kane on the way too?

Knocked me over too when I first heard it.  (But others have clarified; nobody wants to go to Calgary.)

What was that other quote:  "According to Brain-Dead Kypper, CGY is going to" etc?

Climbing in the old fart from the muppet's (Sutter's) head, I'm thinking he's like, "Get that (expletives deleted) little turd outta here boss!"

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not sure I understand the narrative that Gaudreau doesn't play in the playoffs. He had 14 points in 12 games. Am I missing something?

Kind of like the regular season? 

Points are points. He's obviously an extremely talented player, but he's not someone I'd go towar with when push comes to shove. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Points are points. He's obviously an extremely talented player, but he's not someone I'd go towar with when push comes to shove. 

Exactly. You need guys to step up when the game is on the line. He almost never does ( playoffs )

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

True, but he fits nicely into a rose garden.  

• Haha 2

I think with the salary structure of the NHL you can have some $10M players but there should really only be a few.

To me Johnny ain’t one of them even after he had a great regular season last year. 
I think his success was that he got excellent coaching and a team that was built to create space for him.  Yeah he took advantage of it and credit to him for that but O see him as a very good complimentary player. 
Would not make sense for NJ, as fun as he would be to watch with Hughes, he would not get the room he got in Calgary and they are paying Hughes and they will have a lot of young talent that will need to get paid. 
Philly is only team that kind of makes sense to me and I don’t know if that is going to work. They weren’t good with Giroux, I am not sure they would be much better with Johnny. So he can go and maybe make a bad team average. 
Best for him is Calgary IMO.   I don’t really like him and don’t really like Calgary so it works for me too.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Not sure I understand the narrative that Gaudreau doesn't play in the playoffs. He had 14 points in 12 games. Am I missing something?

He showed up this year,  but in the past he's pretty much been an invisible passenger in PO.  His PO rep isn't erased with one Ok post season,  especially given the expectations on the team.

Just now, Fanuck said:

He showed up this year,  but in the past he's pretty much been an invisible passenger in PO.  His PO rep isn't erased with one Ok post season,  especially given the expectations on the team.

Looks like he was also decent, though not that good in 2020, but he was real bad in both 2017 and 2019, so I can understand where he got the reputation from.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Looks like he was also decent, though not that good in 2020, but he was real bad in both 2017 and 2019, so I can understand where he got the reputation from.

So do we assume Johnny's 50/50 in post season or that he is figuring it out now / is entering his prime?

3 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

So do we assume Johnny's 50/50 in post season or that he is figuring it out now / is entering his prime?

An interesting discussion. Given his recent trend of producing a little better, I would lean towards figuring it out, but maybe we need another decent show from him to prove that.

• Cheers 2

Johnny like well this is awkward… I honestly didn’t think you’d go all out on an offer like this. Sorry for wasting your time. I miss the US of A 

BU BYE..

but seriously if he doesn’t accept the biggest money offer possible then what’s he doing negotiating with them even.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

True. Petey actually has more gumption than Johnny G will ever have.

We need more high end talent, A deeper roster and zero dead cap to be a cup contender but most this core has shown another level come playoff time.. I hope we make it for those guys sake honestly 

• Cheers 1

Just now, R3aL said:

Johnny like well this is awkward… I honestly didn’t think you’d go all out on an offer like this. Sorry for wasting your time. I miss the US of A 

BU BYE..

but seriously if he doesn’t accept the biggest money offer possible then what’s he doing negotiating with them even.

Around 90m is wild. That would help me add salt to the wound when I trash talk my Flames buddies if he walked away now lmao

• Haha 1

No team is going to offer 10 mill for an undersized winger. 10 mill for 8 years off just one good season, get real no one will do that.

A 8 year deal carries him into late 30s at 10 mill per even in those years, no one is dumb enough. Pure greed on player part, no worth more than 8 mill per.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1