The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

15 minutes ago, Darius said:

So how do you propose to upgrade the D?

Was interesting watching the TSN panel today.  Almost all of them said specifically Canucks need to upgrade the d with multiple D men.  I agree.  With no high end prospects in the system where do top 4 d men come from?  UFA will cost the team through the nose.  It has to come from trades IMHO, even Rutherford hinted at this.

Boeser wont get you the return Garland will right now. He had an off year and management gave him a bridge contract to show that he can perform at the upper end of the abilities he has shown in the past.

Horvat is not going anywhere.

That leaves Miller and Garland.

I don't think we are close to our window so we either have patience and don't force it by getting rid of good players for top 3 dmen or we distribute picks to shed cap if you're really impatient on a contract like OEL's.

This team never ever takes advantage of teams when they're in a crunch. We never pick off the teams that are strapped for cap space and we never leave extra cap room to take advantage of those times.

We already know we need to get rid of contracts already and I anticipate this crew will be looking at already finding ways to do so. I just think it's dumb to do it in the form of near-sighted trades.

The whole point of being a good gm is finding value contracts. So when you get them, don't ship them out. Garland is under a good term at a good cap hit and it runs into a potential window of a competitive team. The timing is right with him. We know how he fits on the team. That was "supposedly" a down year for him. I just think it's a horrible idea that we will regret doing if we get rid of him. Similar with how Toronto let Hyman walk. 

Just now, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

He is absolutely one of my favourite players in the league. This signing made my day. :)

IN: Ilya Mikheyev, Andrei Kuzmenko, Curtis Lazar, Dakota Joshua

OUT: Alex Chiasson, Juho Lammikko, Matt Highmore, Brad Richardson

OK COOL

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I don't think Brock was one dimensional the year before. He's not perfect by any means, but was working through issues, his injuries, his father, and dealing with the pressure of being an NHL player at such a young age. 

That's no easy task. 

I wish him all the best.

Young age?  Hes going to be 26 soon

12 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I don't think Brock was one dimensional the year before. He's not perfect by any means, but was working through issues, his injuries, his father, and dealing with the pressure of being an NHL player at such a young age. 

That's no easy task. 

I wish him all the best.

Im hoping this year his 5v5 game can improve. His points are heavily padded by the power play.

he needs to do better scoring or even defensively 5v5 more than anyone else on the team

the good thing is he has shown that. In his first 2 years i noticed him for good reasons in the D zone helping out and getting the puck out of trouble

One thing that is hard about evaluating the current roster is even though they have been through the wash, there still seems to be a Green smell to it. Im excited to see if Boeser can revitalize his game this year with a full year with Bruce

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Do you think Brock was one dimensional the year before last?

I know you're not asking me. And you probably already know my stance. But If you will hear me. I have a great amount of appreciation for Brock's skillset and the great human/team mate that he is. On the subject of dimensionality this is where I struggle with Brock. He had an up year and a down year and the true player that Brock is lies in the upper middle. For me a player making 6.65M has to do more I want him on the ice 20 mins a night. To do that he must be harder to play against. If we throw out last year and his rookie year and judge him on the player he has been inbetween I want to see a guy who competes in all aspects of the game. He's got to strip more pucks, be willing to engage phisically he's one of the heaviest players on the team. He needs to be faster not a speed demon but play with more desperation in his first 3 steps.... The stuff it takes to win when the effort level of everyone on the ice jumps in the playoffs he has to be able to match that intensity. Simply being a goal scorer isn't enough. I would be here for Brock all day long tooting his horn if he could PK or take an assignment on a player and neutralize them with his size and capitalize on their mistakes. I want to be able to say more often "the last thing to want to do is cough it up to Brock in that spot.". Simply put I want to see less All Star Game/Da Beauty League Brock and have other teams consider him a hard assignment. 

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I mean he hasn't been re-signed yet, so he's a UFA. No one has officially stated he will not be circled back on but that doesn't always happen. 

Read something that both Chiasson and Sutter are still considered back up options by mgmt 

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Seriously why do people want to get rid of Garland so bad?

Mikheyev is a downgrade from him for nearly the same cap.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????? 

dude is 'lil. So very 'lil. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Yes. But very good at being one dimensional that year. 

I disagree. He shored up his defensive game quite a bit, and was very strong on puck battles and board battles that year.

with a healthy body and less off ice distractions and grieving he should have a big bounce back year.

if we see the return of his shot too it really could all come together.

stay optimistic you want him to shine. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  He’s a UFA.  Likely either a PTO somewhere or off to pasture. 

He would f'n crush it in Europe. Chiasson has alot of great tools to be a star in a lower league. He is kind of in a weird limbo where he could be a Byron Bitz where you play him with 2 play drivers on the PP and he would cash in but he will fail horribly on your 3rd/4th line. Which is where you'd want him 5v5.  I was suuper choked when we put Gadjovich on waivers and lost him. But I will admit even while having a huge bias wanting to see Gadjovich make the club. Chaisson out played him at camp and won the job and I saw it the same way and I really really didn't like admitting it.