The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dhaliwal: Canucks have spoken to Evan Rodrigues agent

41 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think on a more conventional 3rd line he might be a better fit.

which is why Dickie may not be a good fit here, maybe on the 4th line ultimately? imo we have better ingredients for trying to run 3 more offensive lines that are pretty responsible defensively. That lack of a true shutdown 3C kind of pushes us in that direction don't you think?

41 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I also like to give players a year in new surroundings. It's not a good thing but some players can take a whole season to adjust to new surroundings and gain confidence.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens but someone has to go ... or Hoglander to AHL perhaps.

I can't help but think if management wants to bring in a center when we already have enough centers AND forwards, they already have a plan worked out for who will be exiting.

And although Rodrigues can play all positions, my guess is the plan is to move out a center. We know Horvat isn't likely going anywhere and Lazar certainly isn't, which leaves Miller or Dickinson to be on the move.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

I can't help but think if management wants to bring in a center when we already have enough centers AND forwards, they already have a plan worked out for who will be exiting.

And although Rodrigues can play all positions, my guess is the plan is to move out a center. We know Horvat isn't likely going anywhere and Lazar certainly isn't, which leaves Miller or Dickinson to be on the move.

At the same time they might just want him as an extra forward for some versatile depth.

Lazar may not be seen as a full time NHL center and Dickinson was so bad last season they have to plan that he might have to go on waivers.

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

Would definitely be a good addition but as always depending on the cost.

what do you guys think the contract might look like?  Canucks likely couldn’t afford too much.

I don't think we can afford him. I could see a team like Colorado going for him and giving him 3 mil/year on a one or two year deal.  

I think a lot of these remaining free agents will bet on themselves with a short term deal and look to cash in two years from now when the cap goes up more significantly. 

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

At the same time they might just want him as an extra forward for some versatile depth.

Lazar may not be seen as a full time NHL center and Dickinson was so bad last season they have to plan that he might have to go on waivers.

I thought about this. I feel Lazar is being brought in as the full-time 4th given his one-way contract, but if he had to be demoted I guess it's possible. Wouldn't he be waiver eligible then? If so, I would imagine unless he falls flat on his face, he'll be in the lineup.

Yes, Dickinson was bad. But it was also his first year with a new team and he also battled injuries. Given that by all accounts he is a great guy (and I saw spurts of actual skill out there over the season), I wouldn't be surprised to see them give him a 2nd chance. He can go on waivers all we want, but I can't imagine he would be claimed at his salary and recent play.

4 minutes ago, 70seven said:

If Canucks LTIR Poolman, waive Dickinson, and replace with DeHaan and Rodriguez… I’d be pumped with the roster

I’d give Dickinson one more shot. If he can get his game together there may be value in holding him for a bit and later dealing him out for a mid-round pick. 

Otherwise, totally.

Can’t see Poolman being a regular with his issues - either most recent or historically 

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, 70seven said:

If Canucks LTIR Poolman, waive Dickinson, and replace with DeHaan and Rodriguez… I’d be pumped with the roster

I think there’s a good chance that we could land DeHaan. He’s a depth player that should not cost too expensive to sign.

Rodriguez on the other hand could be a little more pricey. Surprised some of these guys haven’t signed yet considering it’s almost September. 

Got to wonder how much he'll cost if he's holding out this long because there's surely lots of interest. If we can get him for under 3.5M that would be a win in my books, 3M x 2-3 years would be ideal.

Not sure how much De Hann is worth but surely not very much, no more than 2M really for a bottom pairing guy. 

That 5M, plus our 2.5M over the cap right now, will have to come from somewhere though.

Poolman to LTIR gives us 2.5M. The easy option is flipping Garland for a pick or prospect, otherwise we could trade Dickinson to anyone and may have to throw in a 3rd or 4th rounder, and try and jiggle the books a bit. Waiving him may only give us 1M in relief.

Rodrigues only makes sense (for both sides) if one of Miller or Horvat are getting traded. Boudreau had lots of success last year playing Miller, Pettersson, and Horvat on different lines. I suspect with 2 shiny new Russian wingers, that will be even more of the case this season. Despite them playing on 3 lines, none of them are a “3rd liner”, as they are each heavily involved in the PP and PK. Spreading out their 5-on-5 ice time keeps them fresh for special teams, which could be part of the reason they improved so much in those areas.

Rodrigues seems to be a player who gets engaged and plays well if he’s getting regular minutes in a top-6 center roll, but who has difficulty adapting to more of a depth/defensive position, or to playing wing. I can’t see him wanting to join a team with 3 centres all of such high calibre.

Edited by D-Money