The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tight to the cap. Who goes poll?

Rate this topic

RetroCanuck

Who would you trade to keep others long term?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

None of those three.  I’d trade Garland for a couple picks (likely two seconds).  That clears 5 mil.  There’s the raises for Bo and Miller.  

I wouldn't do that either. We finally have the kind of forward depth we haven't had since 2011. Garland is not really that expensive, and has elements to his game we would miss. 

I would sooner spend the outrageous cost it takes to move out players that haven't worked out for us, or are not playing to their contract. Poolman for certain, Dickinson if management doesn't believe he can have a bounceback year. Move Myers and his overpaid contract for a player that's defensively super solid and hopefully more physical. Perhaps Pearson if management doesn't believe he's good enough to play top 6 minutes. Save 2-4m somewhere along these lines, and we no longer have a cap crunch.

8 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I wouldn't do that either. We finally have the kind of forward depth we haven't had since 2011. Garland is not really that expensive, and has elements to his game we would miss. 

I would sooner spend the outrageous cost it takes to move out players that haven't worked out for us, or are not playing to their contract. Poolman for certain, Dickinson if management doesn't believe he can have a bounceback year. Move Myers and his overpaid contract for a player that's defensively super solid and hopefully more physical. Perhaps Pearson if management doesn't believe he's good enough to play top 6 minutes. Save 2-4m somewhere along these lines, and we no longer have a cap crunch.

The cost to move out the Benning parting gifts is someone we can’t afford though.  Benning left these horrible contracts and empty prospect cupboards and less than the allotted picks.  We need to add picks and prospects, because of Benning’s using them to try and get us into the playoffs.  

Garland for picks would be great for us.  

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

Edited by Alflives

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The cost to move out the Benning parting gifts is someone we can’t afford though.  

I know the cupboards are pretty bare by this point, but the way I see it this way. Management has 2 roads they can go down right now.

Road 1 dictates we do what we can to win now. This means dipping into those bare cupboards even more, and giving up some futures in order to open our window starting with the 22-23 season.

Road 2 says that we don't actually go all-in yet. Instead, we allow draft the younger guys to finish developing, and collect picks and prospects for a couple of years and THEN make the necessary changes after we have more chips to play with. Here, we vie for the cup in 2-3 years.

Personally, I prefer road 1. I think once we fix up the D a bit this team is as good as most others, and save for Colorado, and *perhaps* the Blues, I believe we could be the best team in the West. I feel the progression of our younger players DURING the next two seasons is what will push us over the edge to be a true contender. But I don't think we have to wait to do this. Yes, prospects are important for replenishment purposes, but we don't NEED to add any prospects to this team right now. We're already set. And it's for THIS reason that I want to see us contend now sooner than later. Then by the time we actually do need the replenishment in 2-4 years time, hopefully we will have drafted well enough to make that possible.

I think more than anything I'm just sick of the rebuild. It's been going on a long time, and I just want to see us win. And I believe we can do that now instead of waiting.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Without moving some major money out in Larsson or Myers (and even if one is moved) it will be hard to fit these three within the cap. In my opinion one of Miller, Boeser or Horvat will need to be moved in order to stay cap compliant. Add in Pettersson raise etc. money gets even tighter.

Can't answer this with just these selections, I actually don't think any of these guys are moving before start of camp.

Add Garland, as much as I like him as a player, I see him as the most likely guy to be moved for cap space right now. The addition of Mikheyev and Kuzmenko, make him expendable within our roster. He's signed for a nice, cap friendly hit for another 4 years.

I don't think Miller get's moved until after the start of the season at the earliest. The recent post out of the Miller camp about seeing a path to him staying and being resigned, suggests that he would actually prefer to stay here and may be willing to work on cap hit in exchange for trade protection and longer overall term.

On 7/20/2022 at 9:55 PM, Devron said:

None of these players? We are cap compliant 

This is true.   And i doubt we will see a trade before the season anyways.   If i was Rathbone, i'd be practicing like crack right now on playing the right side.   And if I was the coach, id also be asking the same of OEL and QHs in the off season.    A successful move of one of our key guys to the right side, solves a problem.    Rathbone is going to be in the NHL very soon.   Hope it's with us, and that he becomes our Samuel Girard.   And that makes us need Myers size even more.   Our forward additions should make for a better overall D structure.    Wait until the right time to snag a RHD.... if we haven't done it,  the timing is wrong still. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, kloubek said:

I know the cupboards are pretty bare by this point, but the way I see it this way. Management has 2 roads they can go down right now.

Road 1 dictates we do what we can to win now. This means dipping into those bare cupboards even more, and giving up some futures in order to open our window starting with the 22-23 season.

Road 2 says that we don't actually go all-in yet. Instead, we allow draft the younger guys to finish developing, and collect picks and prospects for a couple of years and THEN make the necessary changes after we have more chips to play with. Here, we vie for the cup in 2-3 years.

Personally, I prefer road 1. I think once we fix up the D a bit this team is as good as most others, and save for Colorado, and *perhaps* the Blues, I believe we could be the best team in the West. I feel the progression of our younger players DURING the next two seasons is what will push us over the edge to be a true contender. But I don't think we have to wait to do this. Yes, prospects are important for replenishment purposes, but we don't NEED to add any prospects to this team right now. We're already set. And it's for THIS reason that I want to see us contend now sooner than later. Then by the time we actually do need the replenishment in 2-4 years time, hopefully we will have drafted well enough to make that possible.

I think more than anything I'm just sick of the rebuild. It's been going on a long time, and I just want to see us win. And I believe we can do that now instead of waiting.

Think management is just going to let JB regime play out organically.   That's primarily on how Bruce got them playing, especially down the stretch.   We won a couple more games we'd have been in, and were one of the hottest teams the final 25 games .... COL fans were biting their nails after we beat them lol... Our D structure and PK should be better next season.    And if every young core guy plays to their abilities and continues to improve ... we will be flirting in that top 8 range league wide ... that's a good team.    Sure it's going to change again (season after)  ... but this one will be fun to watch, and a playoff sample size to me at least, is the Miller deal paid in full.   Plus who knows, maybe he will re-sign at what the teams comfortable with as well.    A strong showing in the post season - would go a long ways towards that. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

We won a couple more games we'd have been in, and were one of the hottest teams the final 25 games

I agree with everything you said, but this in particular seems to get overlooked by most. The Canucks, as they were made up last year, showed what they were capable of. However, the slow start killed us.

There is no doubt we had some issues last year, once again. But that's bound to happen when you have your stars underperforming. Once we righted the ship with Bruce, we had one of the best teams in the league. Now, that isn't to say the team didn't still have major deficiencies - like still relying on Demko way too much (due to a poor team defensive structure and the lack of a true shutdown defender), and maybe not having quite the scoring depth of other teams.

IF we move forward with Miller, this will be one of the most offensively deep teams we've ever had. And if not, the additions should keep our scoring at least a wash from last season. I also think we have improved the forward lineups defensively at the same time. Management will need to work on the D still, but they've made clear they are aware of that. I truly feel we have the potential for a very good team this coming season - only likely to derail if we fall apart like we've done two years running now.

Can we have at least an option of none of those 3/someone else at the very least? I'm not going to feed into someone's propaganda poll that's already biased towards getting rid of one of Miller, Boeser or Horvat.

Sorry, but I hate polls like these where there's a clear hidden agenda. Whatever data you collect here's going to be meaningless because you don't have an option for none of them, skewing the results.

Edited by The Lock

Garland - Miller - Mikheyev

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Karlsson

Boeser - Petersson - Podz

???? - Lazar - ????

I doubt anything happens until near the end or after preseason. Then best options can be determined. As we stand we are under the cap. But it would definitely be good to open some cap space going into the season.

Moving Pearson and Dickinson saves 5.9m. Pearson is on a decent deal and movable for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Dickinson with two years left would likely need a sweetener. He could be moved to a rebuilding team if a prospect or pick is included for a lesser pick in return. Dickinson + Hoglander for a 3rd. Or Dickinson plus the Pearson 3rd or 4th for a 5th or 6th in return. A 2.65m contract isn't exactly onorous for a rebuilding team to carry for two years. Hoglander is young and still worth a 2nd imo so giving up a third to get him wouldn't be a bad deal for a rebuilding team. Just as moving up two rounds on a pick swap wouldn't be a bad deal for two years of Dickinson for a rebuilding team. Moving Hoglander along with Pearson and Dickinson could result in adding two picks to next years draft plus the cap savings. Or keep Hoglander and move the Pearson pick to move Dickinson and add one lower pick to next year. Either way it clears significant cap and adds to next years draft. If Hogs is kept he'll be battling for a spot with Karlsson. I don't see either being kept for a 4th line role.

To me that looks like a pretty good top 9 to roll. Miller's line could be used as the matchup line and give an opposing top line fits as all three are aggressive players. Horvat's line is the question mark with two rookies. Petey's line would need Podz to really play the hard forecheck and physical side for them. But he showed well in that regard in the second half of last season. Along with Ferlands LTIR it opens a pretty decent cushion going into the season.

The problem is Miller is the only guy in the top nine with any real toughness. Putting Horvat with Garland and Mikheyev wouldn't be as good in the matchup role, but Miller would look out for the two rookies. That is one problem with moving both Pearson and Dickinson. It's losing two guys that will drop the gloves. Meaning we would really need toughness among the D.

Out of this list Boeser for sure. But I see no way he gets traded anytime soon after just re-signing unless we’re sending him home to Minny. Not sure if trading Miller will even  be worth it either, doesn’t seems like anyone is willing to part with a RHD and losing him puts us thin at C. 

On 7/21/2022 at 9:17 AM, kloubek said:

Personally, I prefer road 1. I think once we fix up the D a bit this team is as good as most others, and save for Colorado, and *perhaps* the Blues, I believe we could be the best team in the West. .

Problem being, how do we fix the D without going route 2?

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Problem being, how do we fix the D without going route 2?

If we do move Miller, it would have to be part or all of the return.

If we don't, then maybe we give up picks and one or two of what few prospects we have. It will certainly hurt the future, but we should have most if not all key players locked up for years. By all rights, besides what we may give up to acquire today, we should have a few straight years of drafted players available to the team when most key contracts end.

I just don't see the point of waiting because we want to focus on our depleted pipeline. We have players who are entering their prime now. The Canucks were already a solid team after the coaching change, and I truly believe with the solid offseason additions and IF we at least get a proper partner for Hughes, we could well be a contender already. If Podz, Kuz and Hogs all flourish, I really think we would be.

Alas, my understanding is that management believes the window is in 2-3 years. And sure enough, from a development perspective, I imagine that would be when this team is strongest.

Edited by kloubek

On 7/21/2022 at 9:17 AM, kloubek said:

This is what we have been doing in the benning era, the results are continual 2nd division status. Let's build the talent pool for 2 more years and have depth to be a 1st division team like 2004- 2012

On 7/20/2022 at 6:07 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Without moving some major money out in Larsson or Myers (and even if one is moved) it will be hard to fit these three within the cap. In my opinion one of Miller, Boeser or Horvat will need to be moved in order to stay cap compliant. Add in Pettersson raise etc. money gets even tighter.

worry about next year as well, IF Kuz turns in a show stopping season, that could cost some serious bling. 

That said, it might be a case of whose neck is on the chopping block by simple who NEEDS to stay and who is redundant in a position that has a less important role is a easy call but rumour has it that Pearson would pass on his ntc IF it's too a contender so there's one, Garland another, and Hogs. 

Although if Hogs was traded I think it would be after the season starts and he plays well to up his stock but the downside if he doesn't.

Anyway it sure would help if Klim came back with added consistency and got call ups, from D camp he showed his shot is still lethal from a laser beam slap shot off the post and in like it was nothing. We need him on a ELC soon and Benning's not talked about steal of Myrenberg who will be playing top 4 D next year in Europe  coaches who have seen him have been impressed for good reason and being a RHD at that is a big bonus for the future especially being 6'3 @ 200 lbs and as we need cap upgrades or replacements we'll need ELC's and the best ones available which in my mind would be the best scenario to trade for JT, NHL ready prospects  that can't quite crack a deep roster but will and will make an impact when they do.

Until our dead cap is gone we need ELC'S to balance the cap and that's about our only option for the next couple of seasons and hopefully a cap raise when the players escrow is paid off... 

Yawn, are we there yet?  

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 1