The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

11 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I could see that happening.  Nashville has 15/46/47, we could likely get 15 and one of those. 

Wings have 17 and 41/42/43.  Not sure I'd go down that far, but I'd push for 17/41 and of the other 2nds or at worst their third.  Not sure I'd go that low though.

Maybe I’m crazy, but I only think about that Nashville deal if it’s all three of those picks. 

edit: even then, if a player I like is there at 11 I wouldn’t do it. 

Edited by J-Dizzle

4 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Maybe I’m crazy, but I only think about that Nashville deal if it’s all three of those picks. 

Who knows?  The cost to move up is different every year, and really depends on how bad the team wants the player.

Maybe it's more like 11/75/89 for 15/46/47

I expect we make our pick, and take the BPA that lands in our lap.

Edited by BCNate

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

My most wanted on draft day now in our draft range:

DVORSKY / WOOD / REINBACHER / WILLANDER / SIMASHEV

We're all but guarenteed one of those guys if and when Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith and Leonard all go before the 11th pick. And with chatter about guys like Danielson and/or Honzek going in the top-10, then that would leave us a choice of at least two of them!

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

This was great. Solid list, nice little writeups, and some decent comparisons. Regarding the bolded - this year is easily the most difficulty I've had trying to make a list since at least 2020. If we include the Russians there's upwards of 20 players I just can't imagine leaving out of my top 15. In 2020 I had about 16-18 such players. Such a strong draft class this year. Not quite in the all-time great strata with a 2003 or 2015, but definitely looks to be in the upper echelon of recent drafts.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I definitely agree with the quality of this class - it has an extremely high top-end...5 guys that clearly project as elite players imo - while also having high-end depth. I'm in the same boat as you in that I think the top~20 prospects could all be serious impact players worthy of a lottery pick. I'm very excited for next week!

Who are your hopefuls for the Canucks?

For all the talk comparing Reinbacher to Seider (I don't see it personally, Seider is a physical freak), am I wrong to see some similarities to Simashev and Simon Edvinsson as a prospect?

Both are big LHD defensemen with good hands and skating ability (especially for their size). Both have had production concerns, but have shown promise of more.

Edvinsson looks on track to be a top-pairing D...is Simashev really that different? If he wasn't Russian, he's a top-10 pick (#9 on my board...FYI, Edvinsson went #6 in a weaker class).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hamhuis2 said:

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I definitely agree with the quality of this class - it has an extremely high top-end...5 guys that clearly project as elite players imo - while also having high-end depth. I'm in the same boat as you in that I think the top~20 prospects could all be serious impact players worthy of a lottery pick. I'm very excited for next week!

Who are your hopefuls for the Canucks?

Tough to answer. Depends who's on the board. I mean, I've been Dvorsky's biggest fan most of the year, but can't see him there at 11. I'd avoid any of the Russians at 11, except for maybe Michkov. I'm also crazy high on Eduard Sale, so he's probably the guy most likely to be there that I'd be really stoked about. I'm also fully expecting Reinbacher and Leonard to be gone, so other than that, Danileson, Willander, Barlow would be pretty cool. I'd be ecstatic if the Canucks landed Minnetian at 75 - one of my favorite players in the draft regardless of ranking, he's just so electric with the puck.

Beckett Hendrickson, Felix Nilsson, Ryan Fine, Axel Landen, Brady Cleveland would be some of my targets for various later picks.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Really good RDs are rare and very expensive if a team tries to trade for one, so, I kind of expect Reinbacher and Willander to both be taken in the Top 10. Teams with the top picks might shy from Simashev (maybe because of the inaccessibility and lack of scouting, and he's Russian).  Canucks might get lucky and have him there at #11.

A team will probably take Michkov in the Top 10, because the payoff could be huge down the road. Or not. Then again, there's probably quite a few Round 1 players who aren't guaranteed an NHL career either. Would be exciting to have such an elite player developing for the blue and green. Same with Benson, but he'll likely be gone in the Top 10 as well.

Gone by #11? - Bedard, Carlsson, Fantilli, Smith, Reinbacher, Benson, Dvorsky, Michkov, Willander, Leonard

I'm expecting the #11 pick to really help the Canucks depth, where they're lacking (C and D). I'm not sure how I'd feel if they drafted a winger (Wood, Barlow, Perreault). The C and D depth would still be hurting and the Canucks have a few good wingers already developing. 

I wonder if Oliver Moore turns out like Tyler Motte. 

At #11, Simashev, Danielson, Wood (if he can also play C)

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

Tough to answer. Depends who's on the board. I mean, I've been Dvorsky's biggest fan most of the year, but can't see him there at 11. I'd avoid any of the Russians at 11, except for maybe Michkov. I'm also crazy high on Eduard Sale, so he's probably the guy most likely to be there that I'd be really stoked about. I'm also fully expecting Reinbacher and Leonard to be gone, so other than that, Danileson, Willander, Barlow would be pretty cool. I'd be ecstatic if the Canucks landed Minnetian at 75 - one of my favorite players in the draft regardless of ranking, he's just so electric with the puck.

Beckett Hendrickson, Felix Nilsson, Ryan Fine, Axel Landen, Brady Cleveland would be some of my targets for various later picks.

Love the draft discourse, I always find it interesting how opinions can vary so much on the same players.

For example, I'm not the biggest Dvorsky fan, but I know that he will go top-10 for sure, and I am terrified of Sale. All the skill in the world but no drive imo.

Thanks for your insight! Ryan Fine is on my late-round target board too.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Getting a 2nd rounder would be great. Even better if we trade a couple of 3rds to get a late 2nd round. Then trade two 4th rounders for a late 3rd?

Then a late 1st for the late 2nd and late 3rd

I'm hoping it's just PA talking and we're not actually moving up. If we think we're getting early second rounders from trading down 4 spots, I don't know what the cost is to move up from 11th to 6th. Do the Canucks hate second rounders that much?

We're going to get a good player at 11th. I just don't see why we want to give up more assets (which we cannot afford to) to move up unless we're getting someone like Michkov. 

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

I'm hoping it's just PA talking and we're not actually moving up. If we think we're getting early second rounders from trading down 4 spots, I don't know what the cost is to move up from 11th to 6th. Do the Canucks hate second rounders that much?

We're going to get a good player at 11th. I just don't see why we want to give up more assets (which we cannot afford to) to move up unless we're getting someone like Michkov. 

I would move up for Michkov and Reinbacher. 

The only other guy that might be a move up option would be Dvorsky 

57 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

If we move up I think it’s Columbus we’re targeting and Carlsson.

11OA + Miller

for

3OA + Stanislav Svozil

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

If we move up I think it’s Columbus we’re targeting and Carlsson.

11OA + Miller

for

3OA + Stanislav Svozil

This be a deal in the same ball park as Burke getting the twins.

• Haha 1