The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

3 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Cut him some slack .  
It’s suggested he’s not 100% well right now. 
The only person that doesn’t make a mistake is the one that doesn’t do anything.

Did I miss something? Wasn't trying to be insensitive.

• Cheers 1

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

That draft was an interesting one. Tkachuk certainly had a number of detractors leading into it (Skating and attitude were concerns). I believe a good chunk of people were quite high on Nylander if I remember correctly. 

My issue with Tkachuk back then was his meddling father which is somewhat proven true with Calgary. 

Always knew he will be traded out of Canada as soon as he had a chance to bail. 

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

To be fair it is hard to compare a D and a winger and judge who is BPA. It is easy to get exited about point totals and dynamic offense while solid defense is often overlooked when doing these BPA comparisons. 

If there’s one thing we desperately need it’s some solid defence. I’m happy with Willander.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

Again RHD right now are the hardest players to get and we got one so together yes bpa at that spot.

We just got one in Hronek. Durzi was just moved for a 2nd round pick. The year before John Marino was moved for peanuts. People become available you just need to be good with cap space and smart with your asset building which we haven’t been lately. Tanking Garlands and Boeser’s value by playing them on the 3rd line and scratching them, then sending Podkolzin and Hoglander to the AHL because they needed more wingers so they spent 4.5 locking up Mikeyev isn’t good cap and asset management. Anyways back to the pick it seems more draft for positional need over BPA but I do like the player and hope it works out but I do think in 5 years time Benson could get you a Willander type player+ more.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Because Matthew Tkachuk was the best player available but Benning talked about how we were so weak in defensive prospects so he picked for the best defenceman available. Turned out very poorly for us. Now fast forward and Zach Benson who has the skill to have been picked in the top 6 of this draft class but we pass because again our defence prospect pool is weak. I can see why people are nervous for this pick because it’s hard to look at Willander and Benson and say Willander was the BPA.

If Juolevi hadn’t completely busted due to injury and perhaps other reasons I don’t think we really care about Tkachuk, though.

If we had reached for Sergachev, Chychrun or McAvoy do we even care?  I wouldn’t.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

Did I miss something? Wasn't trying to be insensitive.

Could be miscommunication on my part. 
I was referring to Carey Price having been chosen by the Habs to announce their selection and he stumbled on the the last name. Couldn’t remember it and had to be prompted by another Habs management. 
I felt badly for him as he was obviously embarrassed and displeased with himself. 
He’s still loved and appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

We just got one in Hronek. Durzi was just moved for a 2nd round pick. The year before John Marino was moved for peanuts. People become available you just need to be good with cap space and smart with your asset building which we haven’t been lately. Tanking Garlands and Boeser’s value by playing them on the 3rd line and scratching them, then sending Podkolzin and Hoglander to the AHL because they needed more wingers so they spent 4.5 locking up Mikeyev isn’t good cap and asset management. Anyways back to the pick it seems more draft for positional need over BPA but I do like the player and hope it works out but I do think in 5 years time Benson could get you a Willander type player+ more.

Given current NHL market outlook. In 5 years it will take Benson + more to get  a Willander like player. 

The fact is a meh RHD is worth more than a small high scoring winger. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Who would be a Benson equivalent today in the league ?

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Prancer with his usual negative hot takes. Says Willander had pedestrian numbers 

Yeah, cause what we needed was more one way scorers. God forbid we draft a two way guy that plays hard in all 3 zones. Willander's numbers weren't that far off ASP's. Who is a one way scoring option. But whatever, outrage sells more than positivity or actually being informed.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

If Detroit gets wood at 17 im gonna be sweating the Hronek trade. Just saying

Boys on 650 laid out that in a matter of 5 months, this management group addressed the greatest positional top 4 RHD need now and in the future. 

I wouldn’t worry so much about Wood.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1