The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

8 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Friendly reminder that Benning traded a 40 goal scorer for pylon Erik Gudbranson. And that might not even be his worst trade when you think of the OEL trade.  Let that sink in. 

But trading McCann is right up there with Cam Neely 

Nobody thought McCann would become the player he is now.  Up until the past 2 seasons, his stats have

been dismal.  It's taken him 7yrs and 4 teams to get there. Two other teams besides the Nucks

gave up on him before he landed in Seattle.  Can't believe he'll be 27yrs in next month.

Not comparable to the Neely trade, but certainly another glaring JB mistake in trading a 19yr old player

after his 1st season.  Just more evidence of JBs  lack of interest in developing young players.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Ryan Leonard with a 2 goals and 2 assists in the 2nd against the Swiss 

Will smith with a 3 assists , Perrault with 2 goals and 1 assist. These guys are going to have some impressive point totals by the end of the tourney 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Nobody thought McCann would become the player he is now.  Up until the past 2 seasons, his stats have

been dismal.  It's taken him 7yrs and 4 teams to get there. Two other teams besides the Nucks

gave up on him before he landed in Seattle.  Can't believe he'll be 27yrs in next month.

Not comparable to the Neely trade, but certainly another glaring JB mistake in trading a 19yr old player

after his 1st season.  Just more evidence of JBs  lack of interest in developing young players.

Spot on Higgy... hillarious how folks called JL a bust at the age of 18 but at the same time we should have had the vision of McCann becoming a star at 26-27... 

Nobody knew he'd be that good. JV never made it to that level, and neither did OJ...

Good for McCann but 'it is, what it is'...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Spot on Higgy... hillarious how folks called JL a bust at the age of 18 but at the same time we should have had the vision of McCann becoming a star at 26-27... 

Nobody knew he'd be that good. JV never made it to that level, and neither did OJ...

Good for McCann but 'it is, what it is'...

Alot of these guys take 3 or 4 years to reach their prime, so it is not shocking that McCann is doing well. I never liked Benning desperate moves, so I did not like his McCann trade.

As for JL I did not like the pick, but it is what it is.....I wanted some size........but............you never know?

• Cheers 1

Brock Boeser eat your heart out. What a shot from Barlow. 

I dunno kinda looked like interference on the Wood goal that was quite the accidental on purpose pick on the defender from Celebrini to give Wood all of the space.  Count it!. Wood's having himself a good tournament. 

Edited by hammertime

@R3aL Eduard Sale having an absolute hell of a game against Canada this morning. As @hammertime mentioned, kid just looks like such a pro. Doesn't stand out much by making flashy plays, but it seems every time he touches the ice this game he's involved in a scoring chance, just by keeping things simple, forcing turnovers, using his linemates, getting into open space or around the net with perfect timing.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Wood with the hat trick. Looks like Getzlaf at same age 

Interesting take. I'm still not quite sure what to make of Wood this tournament. I've noticed lots of little mistakes and bad plays, but considering his size and skillset I've seen enough good to really pique my interest. In my opinion Celebrini has been easily Canada's best player at the tournament and Ritchie has been pretty stellar too, so I can't help but feel like he's benefiting quite a bit from those two.

Caden Price and Lukas Dragicevik have also both looked pretty impressive for Canada throughout.

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Alot of these guys take 3 or 4 years to reach their prime, so it is not shocking that McCann is doing well. I never liked Benning desperate moves, so I did not like his McCann trade.

As for JL I did not like the pick, but it is what it is.....I wanted some size........but............you never know?

That's exactly my point. They take 3-4 years if not more to reach their potential, let alone prime...

But if you read the pages, every draft pick, who hasn't broken through before 20 is a bust. The last few years its been said Benning didn't hit on anything or very little outside holf of his top picks... How can people say that as draft picks from 2018 are only 22-23 years old?

Aiden McDonough, Brisebois, Rathbone, Klim, and a few more still have potential to make it. Maybe not here, but lots of talents doesn't make it until 24-25 years of age. 

The McCann move eas stupid in hindsight, but the reputation of Guddy made most of us understand the trade at the time. 
We needed size with some trulence on the backend after Trym ran away. 
The real issue was piss poor pro scouting before making the trade. Surely they should have known Guddy was just a pilon on the ice, that could swing them. 

Lets just hope Hronek isn't another rerun of that trade. 

As for Lekkerimake, I wanted size as well, but once the picked JL I was behind him like any other prospects of ours. 
Still wish we had addressed the size issue, but maybe a few of the prospects can help is out with that. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I dunno kinda looked like interference on the Wood goal that was quite the accidental on purpose pick on the defender from Celebrini to give Wood all of the space.  Count it!. Wood's having himself a good tournament. 

17 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

@R3aL Eduard Sale having an absolute hell of a game against Canada this morning. As @hammertime mentioned, kid just looks like such a pro. Doesn't stand out much by making flashy plays, but it seems every time he touches the ice this game he's involved in a scoring chance, just by keeping things simple, forcing turnovers, using his linemates, getting into open space or around the net with perfect timing.

I made a comment like this months ago about this guy. Just seems like a guy that will excel at the next level. Sketchy Czechy. :P

So many top prospects getting a chance to showcase themselves at this U18s tournament, but the top ranked defenseman in the draft for me right now, Mikhail Gulyayev has not had the chance to play on the big stage all year.

His Omskie Yastreby is currently in game six of the MHL finals trying to force a game seven and they're going to overtime. I'll be skipping the third period of the Canada game to check this out.

• Like 4

I have not been impressed at all with Czechia goalie Hrabal........he is ranked #2 goalie available..........he has not made a big save all tourament

Thoughts @HighOnHockey ?

LOL...............Just looked at his stats and he is the leader.......lol..............still.......what do you think?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

5 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I have not been impressed at all with Czechia goalie Hrabal........he is ranked #2 goalie available..........he has not made a big save all tourament

Thoughts @HighOnHockey ?

Lol at people always tagging me to ask about prospects. If I've seen a significant amount of a player I will usually talk about them plenty enough. If you check in on the thread regularly and haven't seen me talk about them it's probably because I haven't seen enough to have a strong opinion. Also I'm absolutely garbage when it comes to evaluating goalies. @R3aL @Isam @Bure_Pavel @hammertime any thoughts on Hrabal?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol at people always tagging me to ask about prospects. If I've seen a significant amount of a player I will usually talk about them plenty enough. If you check in on the thread regularly and haven't seen me talk about them it's probably because I haven't seen enough to have a strong opinion. Also I'm absolutely garbage when it comes to evaluating goalies. @R3aL @Isam @Bure_Pavel @hammertime any thoughts on Hrabal?

Ya I'm not a goalie guy in Ian I trust.

I will say Hrabal has made some huge saves this tournament  before this game Czechia has been hard to beat. He only let in 2 against Sweden who absolutely lit our #1 ranked goalie up for 5 goals on 7 shots or something like that. These tournaments are a lil too much pond hockey to get a good feel for goalies. Hrabal had absolutely no chance on a lot of Canadas goals this game. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Yeah Wood’s stock is soaring while Cristall’s must be plummeting. I love it! 

Edited by YearoftheNuck

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I love Button's list. I'd love to see more rankings like this.  At 11 the Canucks have a plethora of choices.  He has Sale ahead of Smith and Benson, that's bold. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Page, Text, Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone, Symbol, Number

Could contain: Page, Text, Chart, Plot, Symbol, Number

• There it is 1

24 minutes ago, spook007 said:

That's exactly my point. They take 3-4 years if not more to reach their potential, let alone prime...

But if you read the pages, every draft pick, who hasn't broken through before 20 is a bust. The last few years its been said Benning didn't hit on anything or very little outside holf of his top picks... How can people say that as draft picks from 2018 are only 22-23 years old?

Aiden McDonough, Brisebois, Rathbone, Klim, and a few more still have potential to make it. Maybe not here, but lots of talents doesn't make it until 24-25 years of age. 

The McCann move eas stupid in hindsight, but the reputation of Guddy made most of us understand the trade at the time. 
We needed size with some trulence on the backend after Trym ran away. 
The real issue was piss poor pro scouting before making the trade. Surely they should have known Guddy was just a pilon on the ice, that could swing them. 

Lets just hope Hronek isn't another rerun of that trade. 

As for Lekkerimake, I wanted size as well, but once the picked JL I was behind him like any other prospects of ours. 
Still wish we had addressed the size issue, but maybe a few of the prospects can help is out with that. 

Good post! 

Re Gud. I think he was 24 at the time of the trade. He had been apprenticing with Willie Mitchell in FLA to become a shutdown D and he looked quite good. he had that high draft pedigree too. At that time it looked like a good trade. Florida fans weren't celebrating in the streets. As has been stated Seattle got him after he flunked out of 2 more teams after the trade.

Re Lekkerimaki really rooting for this kid. He wasn't my first choice skating, size, and slow reaction time were my concern's. I had lots of conversations with HOH about him last year regarding why I had him in the mid 20's and for much of the year outside the 1st. I had and still have different priorities. It's waaaaay to early to call Lekkerimaki a bust though. He has an elite shot and some good hockey sense. Alot of guys can make the show on that alone. If he can get stronger and quicker he's got a good chance to be an impact player. Where much of my issue with him stems from is you're gonna have to parachute him into your top 6 like a Kuzzmenko and it's pretty rare to be able to do that. If he's on your 3rd or 4th with Joshua Di Guiseppe he's gonna struggle in that role. Where a Bystedt, Kulich, Gaucher could come in and play their way up the ranks and contribute in a supporting role. Again just different priorities and why I have guys like Danielson Ritchie high again this year and probably look past a Cristall who has a sky high ceiling. It's awesome to see Lekkerimaki have some success after the year he's had but he's got a real long way to go still. Would love to get him in Abby training with the Sedins and Ryan Johnson.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1