The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

6 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Okay, I also saw Gulyayev compared to Barrie so maybe that's where I got crossed up. 

I don't really agree with thr Barrie comp for ASP though. He has more bite and better two-way acumen than Barrie does. 

I was surprised to see ASP place #1 in the bench press testing . 

Honzek placed highly in the majority of the categories surprised that hasn’t been discussed more

LH grip - 6th 

RH grip - 7th 

Long jump - 2nd 

No arm jump - 3rd 

Pro agility right - 4th

Mean Power output - 9th 

Thats a lot of top ten rankings 

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

I’ve been seeing Wood on a lot of peoples lists, especially after his recent U18 tournament. For those that have him in the top 10, what do you see in him that you don’t see in Musty? I think Musty is getting a little overlooked here, and if you want a forward with some size, he is the better option. Wood is reminding me a lot of Nick Ritchie, who I wasn’t particularly high on in his draft yr either.

For the record, I’m not really advocating about taking Musty at 11, but there has been chatter about trading down depending on who’s available, and I’m not as opposed to that depending on who’s left. I don’t think a combo of Musty + a D in the second is all that bad of an option.

If you aren’t familiar with Musty, I think this video highlights a lot of his strengths, and not just his goals and assists. He make a lot of decent defensive plays as well, and while his skating isn’t exactly a strength, I think it makes him a better option than Wood. His vision is excellent, and I think he makes a lot of pro style quick touches on the puck, but with the ability to slow the play down with an extra pass as well. If he continues to work on his pace of play, and begins to use his size as more of a strength, I think he could become a very nice player down the road. His video is also from a few months back, so missing some of his late season surge where he finished quite strong after an early season coaching change.

I like Musty and have been debating if he's ahead of Sandin-Pellikka or not on my list.

I know there are metrics that have been previously posted in regards to the level of difficulty of all the leagues, so that might have some bearing on the scouts lists.

As good as Musty was, what Wood did with the Connecticut was beyond impressive in comparison.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Honzek placed highly in the majority of the categories surprised that hasn’t been discussed more

LH grip - 6th 

RH grip - 7th 

Long jump - 2nd 

No arm jump - 3rd 

Pro agility right - 4th

Mean Power output - 9th 

Bedard only finished with one in the top ten. 

5 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

I like Musty and have been debating if he's ahead of Sandin-Pellikka or not on my list.

I know there are metrics that have been previously posted in regards to the level of difficulty of all the leagues, so that might have some bearing on the scouts lists.

As good as Musty was, what Wood did with the Connecticut was beyond impressive in comparison.

Agreed on the level of comp, as well as @Gawdzukes point of a bit better shot. Wood also finds himself in the category of a potential monster with his size once fully matured, where Musty will more likely be just above average.

Numbers wise, it would appear that Wood is the better option, but the more tape I watch, the more I prefer Musty to Wood myself.

Appreciate the responses fellas.

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

I’ve been seeing Wood on a lot of peoples lists, especially after his recent U18 tournament. For those that have him in the top 10, what do you see in him that you don’t see in Musty? I think Musty is getting a little overlooked here, and if you want a forward with some size, he is the better option. Wood is reminding me a lot of Nick Ritchie, who I wasn’t particularly high on in his draft yr either.

For the record, I’m not really advocating about taking Musty at 11, but there has been chatter about trading down depending on who’s available, and I’m not as opposed to that depending on who’s left. I don’t think a combo of Musty + a D in the second is all that bad of an option.

If you aren’t familiar with Musty, I think this video highlights a lot of his strengths, and not just his goals and assists. He make a lot of decent defensive plays as well, and while his skating isn’t exactly a strength, I think it makes him a better option than Wood. His vision is excellent, and I think he makes a lot of pro style quick touches on the puck, but with the ability to slow the play down with an extra pass as well. If he continues to work on his pace of play, and begins to use his size as more of a strength, I think he could become a very nice player down the road. His video is also from a few months back, so missing some of his late season surge where he finished quite strong after an early season coaching change.

I believe someone already addressed this but I will repeat it.

Musty was above PPG in the OHL which is great as a bigger player.  Wood was effectively a ppg player in a mens development league in Connecticut.  We've a larger need for RW regardless, but while Musty has promise; for all the reasons someone would laud him.  They have to give the same level of respect to wood who did that in a college pro league.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

LH grip - 6th 

RH grip - 7th 

Long jump - 2nd 

No arm jump - 3rd 

Pro agility right - 4th

Mean Power output - 9th 

Right now it's Moore and ASP at the top of my wish list at #11, in that order

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Purely from a statistical stand point if we use our handy dandy chart. https://towardsdatascience.com/nhl-equivalency-and-prospect-projection-models-building-the-nhl-equivalency-model-part-2-6f275a45e22

Musty's numbers convert to 17.4 

Woods numbers convert to 15.45

in a 82 game NHL season.

I don't have a horse in this race. Personally Ill take But over them both. However I think while Wood is getting the spotlight Musty has had a really impressive year. Most importantly I love pwf playmakers. It's kind of a waste of a pwf to be a shooter skulking around looking for soft ice. Don't tell Ovie I said that. Musty could be that guy with 2 defenders draped on him making the pass to Pety/Kuzi/Leks with some open ice.

Regardless I don't think our GM has eyes for these players. My guess is we take one of Sale, Perreault, Pellikka.

I haven't talked about Perreault much at our pick, but he would be okay as a complementary playmaker winger for the top line. However, I don't consider him to be anywhere near the best candidate for our pick despite his upside. I hope the Blues take him, leaving us with another option to choose from.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just...for the flip side.  You know

The main issue with Benson, is that if he doesn't hit his ceiling.  There's a significant chance he is not in the NHL.  Where as a guy like Wood, Danielson, etc if they hit their average, they'll be serviceable bodies.

benson is literally top 6 or bust imo and that's what worries me

I disagree with half of that.

i do agree the size is a factor in how effective benson will be and it will be more difficult for him to hit his ceiling because of it it.

but he does have a B Game. One of the best in the draft. 

he is a very effective PKer and he’s performed well smaller than his peers at every level. So as his body matures he should be able to find success at the NHL.

Of course I understand the risks; and the benefits of size in the playoffs espexially but i feel as long as benson isn’t rushed he does have the tools to become a successful nhler that at worst could be a tenacious pker / role player.

• There it is 1

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Here's the issue with this.

Gilbert Brule.

In the lead up to the 2005 draft, Brule was being compared to Crosby and people were debating if his skill put them in the same class and whether or not Brule should go 2nd in the draft.  Obviously it didn't happen as through the latter half of the year others picked it up and Brule actually never really grew any larger and had a mediocre combine.

Benson reminds me so much of Brule, Schroeder etc.  All that skill but.....just something missing.

Would love to see you post a top 32.

Really interested in your take.

Also like HOH stated, I admire people who actually post a list made up of their own thoughts from the scouting they have done.

Not copying/ paste someone else's list.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Purely from a statistical stand point if we use our handy dandy chart. https://towardsdatascience.com/nhl-equivalency-and-prospect-projection-models-building-the-nhl-equivalency-model-part-2-6f275a45e22

Musty's numbers convert to 17.4 

Woods numbers convert to 15.45

in a 82 game NHL season.

I don't have a horse in this race. Personally Ill take But over them both. However I think while Wood is getting the spotlight Musty has had a really impressive year. Most importantly I love pwf playmakers. It's kind of a waste of a pwf to be a shooter skulking around looking for soft ice. Don't tell Ovie I said that. Musty could be that guy with 2 defenders draped on him making the pass to Pety/Kuzi/Leks with some open ice.

Regardless I don't think our GM has eyes for these players. My guess is we take one of Sale, Perreault, Pellikka.

A trade down scenario with musty and a dman like Bonk/Strbak wouldn’t look so bad to me. 

Tkachuk season could seduce GMs to be thirsty for players of similar styles and in this draft musty and Leonard would be the most similar st the high end I’d say.

i could see Musty being higher on Bob maxs final ranking when it comes out. Will be interesting to see. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Brule was sidetracked by a series of injuries wasn't he? There was also the issue that he had a fractured relationship with his father, and he mishandled his money. (Gilbert thinks so, his Dad says he didn't.)

He saw a therapist as he was depressed from breaking his leg, and his issues with his Dad when he was with the Oilers. They put him on medication. Which he had to break free from. He had a decent career in the KHL. It's really sad to see.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/resurrection%2BGilbert%2BBrule/8668967/story.html

Of course this is all from Cryptkeeper, so take it with a grain of salt.

7 hours ago, R3aL said:

A trade down scenario with musty and a dman like Bonk/Strbak wouldn’t look so bad to me. 

Tkachuk season could seduce GMs to be thirsty for players of similar styles and in this draft musty and Leonard would be the most similar st the high end I’d say.

i could see Musty being higher on Bob maxs final ranking when it comes out. Will be interesting to see. 

Oh it would certainly. We will see. A quick browse of Alvin's draft picks over the last decade I don't think Musty is on the Doppler 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

thats why I think it doesn’t make sense to weight players higher b/c they have 3rd/4th line floors, if their ceiling is lower. Take the high risk bet, if your pick doesn’t pan out, it isn’t really any worse than a pick that ends up flooring at 3/4th liner/bottom pair.

I understand your point but I keep thinking about what we could have had instead of Jake Virtanen and Oli Juolevi who both bottomed out as pretty useless.

8 hours ago, R3aL said:

I disagree with half of that.

i do agree the size is a factor in how effective benson will be and it will be more difficult for him to hit his ceiling because of it it.

but he does have a B Game. One of the best in the draft. 

he is a very effective PKer and he’s performed well smaller than his peers at every level. So as his body matures he should be able to find success at the NHL.

Of course I understand the risks; and the benefits of size in the playoffs espexially but i feel as long as benson isn’t rushed he does have the tools to become a successful nhler that at worst could be a tenacious pker / role player.

I didn't mention size.  he's actually grown considerably since the beginning of the season judging by the combine.

It's the other things about his play that give me pause.  his defensive play in jr is great, but he does a ton of things on a nightly basis that would get him pushed off or buried by an NHL pro.  His offense is great, but again; those nifty moves would get him Holmqvisted against the boards 9 out of 10 times.

There's something about him (to a lesser extent sale) that give me a wait a moment feeling

• Cheers 1