The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

Truly, size really isn't a big factor anymore and were probably only a few years from the league being mostly under 6 feet.

Speed and quickness are the sought after attributes now.

Really ... ? What is it at now? I googled and it says just over 6".

Interesting but I would say having big guys that can play is probably a real difference maker in that case. We sure do seem to get pushed around and bullied but perhaps that is just lack of commitment/speed.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Really ... ? What is it at now? I googled and it says just over 6".

Interesting but I would say having big guys that can play is probably a real difference maker in that case. We sure do seem to get pushed around and bullied but perhaps that is just lack of commitment/speed.

If they can play, I agree.  That said, as the league gets smaller, those guys will be penalty magnets, much like Myers is.

Like it or not, that's the future of the league, imo

13 hours ago, stawns said:

There's really not much of a battle there.  Wolanin is the best dman in the AHL and has earned his spot in Van.  There's nothing left for him in Abby.

I wonder why a bottom feeding team didn't grab him on the waivers.. 

Can only playoff teams grab players? 

Hoglander's goal was so nasty. He's always played a fearless game and he will be a great addition to a the Canucks core when he reaches his full star potential. Same with Podkolzin, he has shown too much to be a bust. I have full confidence that our development staff can get the most out of him as well

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I wonder why a bottom feeding team didn't grab him on the waivers.. 

He just re-signed no?  

I think it's the guaranteed pay rich AHL money. Two way but $500K by memory in Abbotsford.  And not eligible to play in post season this year if claimed.

Plus he's 28.

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He just re-signed no?  

I think it's the guaranteed pay rich AHL money. Two way but $500K by memory in Abbotsford.  And not eligible to play in post season this year if claimed.

Plus he's 28.

But to get the top ahl defensemen seems like a good gamble? 

12 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I wonder why a bottom feeding team didn't grab him [Wolanin] on the waivers.. 

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He just re-signed no?  

Plus he's 28.

1. Any team in the NHL (playoff or not) could have picked up Wolanin on waivers.

2. I think there was some risk that Wolanin would be picked up on waivers (as Lane Pederson was), and I was a bit worried, but the risk was small.

3. @Canuck Surfer identifies three of the main reasons he was not picked up. He has a two-year two-way contract that pays 775K in the NHL and 500K in the minors. Most teams are not willing to pay that much for guys in the AHL. Guys on entry level contracts only get about 70K in the minors.

4. At age 28 there is a good chance that Wolanin has reached his peak level of performance. He might get a bit better but the chance that he improves significantly is small.

5. And what is his level of performance? At the NHL level, he is a classic "replacement level" player -- the kind of player on the margin between the NHL and the AHL -- a guy who can be called up to replace someone who gets injured or traded. Based on the Evolving Hockey website and other advanced stat sites Wolanin is just barely a replacement level player.

6. The top scorers in the AHL (forwards and defence) and top AHL players generally are usually career-AHLers. For those guys, scoring at the AHL level does not translate to NHL success, especially if a lot of their scoring comes from the PP, as those guys are not good enough to get much PP time in the NHL.

7. I like Wolanin and he plays a useful role for the Canucks -- AHL star and depth option at the NHL level. But he is actually fairly expensive for his likely contribution at the NHL level.

• Cheers 1

On 4/20/2023 at 11:02 AM, kilgore said:

Canucks win! 

I'm glad they gave the first goal back to Hoglander. He did all the work and he put in his own rebound. Sasson played great as well, a real gritty warrior with a nose to show for it.  The best part was it was a team shutout. The Canucks played a really strong defensive game, didn't give them a lot.  And it's because the forwards are coming back to help the defence.  I look at Hoglander's defensive game and it's night and day. So many prospects were withering on the vine when Benning was GM. How many prospects fell through the cracks like gold sand through the GMs fingers?  Sad to think about but at least Pods and Hogs were saved, maybe even Woo.

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1