The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Jonathan Huberdeau

13 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

Its not perfect, but if you win a Cup in Vancouver as a fan I probably dont care that there are a bunch of lean years at the end where hopefully the management group is smart enough to hoard draft picks while they wait out the contract.  just dont have more than a couple of them at most.

totally agree with this 

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To keep Miller here we would have to way over pay him like what Treliving just did to keep Huberdough.  No thanks.  Trade him or let him go find more money that we’re offering July 1, 2023.  

Yeah 85 mil. Holy crap I guess they decided they weren't walking away from the offseason with nothing. You're right though and hopefully JR/PA can find a decent trade for us along the way. It's going to be a wait and see process. Might happen when we least expect it.

• Like 1

Monster deal and a surprise, some players want out of Calgary, some are happy to stay but at a big price.

Huberdeau drives the play, IMO a lot of his points were hard earned and he'll make the rest of his line much better. I think he'll be a 95ish point player next year.

That being said, 9 years x 10.5M is insane considered he's currently 29. 

I think Huby will be over a PPG player for 2 years then will drop down to around a 50-80 point player for 3 years and then, at 35+, who knows...

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He may be in Montreal to visit family, who knows.  I'm sure he's not there the entire summer.  My buddy is a huge Flames fan and knows people in Calgary.  Huberdeau is there in the summertime training with other NHL players. 

Also, why sign in Calgary now if you want to be in Montreal?  Gaudreau left $15 million on the table to get out of Calgary.  If Huberdeau didn't like Calgary no way he would be signing an extension now...

Listening to his interview today he sounds pretty clueless about Calgary - he's talking of being excited to get there to get to know the city.  Says he was asking Treliving to tell him more about the city and where he should live.

From the Flames recap:  Huberdeau has yet to arrive in the Stampede City, but will soon begin his housing search in advance of training camp next month. Aside from visiting only once a year with the Panthers - which he'd done only seven times in his career - Huberdeau doesn't know much about the town.

Edited by mll
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Listening to his interview today he sounds pretty clueless about Calgary - he's talking of being excited to get there to get to know the city.  Says he was asking Treliving to tell him more about the city and where he should live.

From the Flames recap:  Huberdeau has yet to arrive in the Stampede City, but will soon begin his housing search in advance of training camp next month. Aside from visiting only once a year with the Panthers - which he'd done only seven times in his career - Huberdeau doesn't know much about the town.

I guess Flames fans, including my buddy, are really clueless after all...  :o

17 hours ago, Provost said:

Ignoring the number from 4 years ago which is irrelevant…. Their production is close enough that Miller’s camp could certainly be thinking they are worth just a million less per year than Huberdeau.  Especially since Miller plays centre rather than wing which is a more premium position.

If the actual market value for Huberdeau is $10.5 then It isn’t at al unreasonably for Miller to expect to be worth $9.5 or more since he would be a UFA with lots of suitors.

We shouldn’t be paying that but someone absolutely will if Miller doesn’t drop off drastically this season.

I think any team paying 30 year old player 10.5 million X 8 years is looking for trouble last 3-4  yrs of the contract..

Sure hope Vancouver don't sign Miller to 8 yrs X 8.5 million..Please no no....

I think Miller is realistically a point a game guy...This season GP 75 - G 27  - PTS  74- 78 predict

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kelly Green said:

I think that is true to a point with the recent border issues and the extra taxes, not sure that all Canadian teams are as toxic as Calgary seems to be tho.

Miller seems to really like it in Vancouver, I think he re-signs here for under 9M myself.

I sure hope Vancouver Doesn't sign Miller to 9 million X 6 or 7 yrs at 30 yrs old next summer..No No..

I honestly think Vancouver  offer Miller 0ver 7.8  to 8 million X 6 yrs...

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My buddy said Huberdeau trains in Calgary every summer and loves it out there.  There was no reason for him not to re-sign in Calgary.

So if Huberdeau is getting 10.5x8 as a 30 year old what is Miller worth?  I'm still laughing at people who think Miller will sign for under $8 million...

No kidding highly unlikely 

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Hopefully salary cap starts rising again 

Same rules for everyone.  I wouldn't mind seeing Cahlgary get handicapped with this contract, especially once he gets to know the city, the fanbase, and the coach and demands a trade to a men's team.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Same rules for everyone.  I wouldn't mind seeing Cahlgary get handicapped with this contract, especially once he gets to know the city, the fanbase, and the coach and demands a trade to a men's team.

Lol it might the last couple years he’ll prolly be a depth forward pp guy staple last years. And at 10.5 they better pray the cap rises

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My buddy said Huberdeau trains in Calgary every summer and loves it out there.  There was no reason for him not to re-sign in Calgary.

So if Huberdeau is getting 10.5x8 as a 30 year old what is Miller worth?  I'm still laughing at people who think Miller will sign for under $8 million...

8mill x5 years  for miller sound good to me. 

5years is max I’d sign Jt 

he could still play for two three years after but he’d get paid what he’s worth and it wouldn’t be close to 8. 

Flakes will be paying to get rid of this contract and will have to retain a good portion. 

• Like 1