The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

15 minutes ago, jyu said:

Honestly, he reminds me of poor man's Todd Bertuzzi.

Miller has the size and strength to play the power forward's game, has soft hands and skills to make good plays and a decent shot. But away from the puck, he is a suspect like Bert. Far too often I see Miller in a no man's land in the defensive zone and making poor decision with the puck in the dzone under pressure.

Bert was my favourite player during the WCE era but I'll be the first to admit that we were going no where with Bert and Nonis did good by getting us Luongo for him ending the  revolving door of subpar goalies. And we will go no where if Miller is the best player on this team. The way forward was so blatantly obvious that it's going to be Petey to lead us to the next step after Petey's 2nd half and why that wasn't clear to the management, I have no idea.

The management did some good work to sign Aman, Joshua, Kuzmenko, and Mikheyev... then they re-signed Miller to that monster contract. Miller at this point is a winger but a winger that doesn't gel with our first line center in Petey. I don't even know what the next 7 years is going to look like.

I hope Miller goes back to the way he played in his first season on the lotto line. But if not, well we could suck bad then at least I hope we finally get lucky and win Bedard.

Someone will sign a 9 or 10 mil contract on this club soon,  then the pressure eases on to them ;) 

3 hours ago, Screw said:

EP40 looks awesome.   Put Miller with him and start some good vibes.   Miller is the type of guy who needs something to go right for him or he gets way too low.

I hope so, only to boost JT's trade value and sell him off for whatever. I don't care to have a player on the team that signs a contract like his and then mopes, refuses to back check, throws the puck around like a beer leaguer. Very disappointed in JT. There were hints of this last year and I am pissed that hockey gurus like JR and Al thought to look past JT 's style and extend him. They are supposed to know better. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, rekker said:

I hope so, only to boost JT's trade value and sell him off for whatever. I don't care to have a player on the team that signs a contract like his and then mopes, refuses to back check, throws the puck around like a beer leaguer. Very disappointed in JT. There were hints of this last year and I am pissed that hockey gurus like JR and Al thought to look past JT 's style and extend him. They are supposed to know better. 

Even if he didn't coast like he's doing this year, JR should've traded JT which would've allowed a return of a young player (either at Centre or defense). That young player would be given the opportunity to grow into a player that could potentially be better than Miller. Not to mention the cap savings too, which would address the weaknesses.

There is tremendous value in having cap space, and we screwed ourselves so badly with this re-signing.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, WestCoastDave said:

The Nucks still have time to trade him before his next contract begins next season.

Incredibly tough though......have you seen the cap space for the other teams?  Honestly, I'm not sure that many teams will be cap compliant.  Between that and the cost of everything going up, I'd suspect that the cap will go up considerably over the next 2-3 years if the recession is indeed mild as predicted.  

If they can shed a couple of bit salaries, they'll be fine. Not sure how they do that but Boeser would be high on my list.

56 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Incredibly tough though......have you seen the cap space for the other teams?  Honestly, I'm not sure that many teams will be cap compliant.  Between that and the cost of everything going up, I'd suspect that the cap will go up considerably over the next 2-3 years if the recession is indeed mild as predicted.  

If they can shed a couple of bit salaries, they'll be fine. Not sure how they do that but Boeser would be high on my list.

We'd have to take cap back but it's doable. There's a strong chance this is Bergeron's last year, Krejci too. Even with Marchand aging they're built more to be competitive than to rebuild, they could use a top six center. 

Take back say.. Charlie Coyle+ and you're saving 2.75M a year in cap space while taking on a player who'll only have three years left on his deal after this season. I don't know what the + would be but I could see there being value in such a move for Boston. They'd just be adding another 2.75M to their current cap number. It's not ideal, but it'd free up a significant amount of cap space four years sooner and get us additional assets. Miller's quite the upgrade on Coyle for them. 

Sure, they've gotta extend Pasta too but they'll need a top six center any way you spin it. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Even if he didn't coast like he's doing this year, JR should've traded JT which would've allowed a return of a young player (either at Centre or defense). That young player would be given the opportunity to grow into a player that could potentially be better than Miller. Not to mention the cap savings too, which would address the weaknesses.

There is tremendous value in having cap space, and we screwed ourselves so badly with this re-signing.

Yep. Rutherford and Allvin won't admit it, though. 

But they screwed up resigning Miller. Fucked up royally

Is this just another Benning era, disguised under Rutherford? The legendary executive? 

Hasn't been legendary here. Not so easy when you don't have HOF players in Crosby and Gino. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

And JT confirmed this was made up. 

I never said it was true , or wasn’t,.   What I was commenting on was how seriously some were taking all of this..  and the negative bias on a player presently playing at an aprx. 0.8 ppg.   5 goals 1 assist in 7 games.

As in relationship to what was SAID in that post ,  I beleive it was a twitter account.   

There has been something else posted (probably made up) of an altercation JT supposedly had with a teller at that same pumpkin patch.

It’s all b.s.    ,  like half the trade proposals on CDC.   Big City ideas, and Cinderella dreams .

i even get caught up in it myself..    but there is a reality check we all need to have. 

I appreciate the fact you shared this, thank you.

There are players who can not give us a healthy season that really hurt our club,  that needs to be addressed like anything else,  this is pressure on management, as much as anyone else in the org.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, SilentSam said:

There are players who can not give us a healthy season that really hurt our club,  that needs to be addressed like anything else,  this is pressure on management, as much as anyone else in the org.

Yep, they should all be feeling the heat right now.  Even ownership to be honest.  Can't speak for anyone else but I know I'm not paying money for tickets and keeping my son up late (for him lol) to go and watch this team right now.  I'm willing to buy Canucks tickets and merchandise when it's fun.  Currently it's anything but fun.  If there's others feeling the same way as me then that directly impacts revenue.  

• Cheers 3

On 10/26/2022 at 8:33 AM, Baratheon said:

Yep, they should all be feeling the heat right now.  Even ownership to be honest.  Can't speak for anyone else but I know I'm not paying money for tickets and keeping my son up late (for him lol) to go and watch this team right now.  I'm willing to buy Canucks tickets and merchandise when it's fun.  Currently it's anything but fun.  If there's others feeling the same way as me then that directly impacts revenue.  

Canucks ownership is awful. FA has hurt this team and looks like he has no intention of stopping anytime soon. Other teams have started rebuilds after we started to “retool” and have already done the hard work and have bright futures where as we are still in no man’s land. Such a frustrating team to love. What a bad decision my 4 year old self made when I committed to this team almost 30 years ago haha. They say the definition of crazy is doing the same things repeatedly and expecting different results each time. FA is crazy and unfortunately it trickles down from the top and the team is a mess. 

• Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Canucks ownership is awful. FA has hurt this team and looks like he has no intention of stopping anytime soon. Other teams have started rebuilds after we started to “retool” and have already done the hard work and have bright futures where as we are still in no man’s land. Such a frustrating team to love. What a bad decision my 4 year old self made when I committed to this team almost 30 years ago haha. They say the definition of crazy is doing the same things repeatedly and expecting different results each time. FA is crazy and unfortunately it trickles down from the top and the team is a mess. 

My 2nd team has been the Avs since the Forsberg/Sakic/Roy days, so I got that going for me!:lol:

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My 2nd team has been the Avs since the Forsberg/Sakic/Roy days, so I got that going for me!:lol:

As a kid I liked the Avs as well but I don’t really have a second team I root for in the NHL anymore, come playoff time I pick the team with the most players I like to determine who I want to win each series. The Avs, another team that got it turned around from the ground up during our never ending re tool haha

• Cheers 1

On 10/27/2022 at 8:03 PM, aGENT said:

Well.  Enjoy this.   My first favourite team was PHI (Bobby Clark)... then EDM (Coffey and Gretzky and, yes even Messier - there i said it!)    And i hate you and your stupid AVs  they suck butt!  I liked Roy as A Canadian.  Screw him. Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well.  Enjoy this.   My first favourite team was PHI (Bobby Clark)... then EDM (Coffey and Gretzky and, yes even Messier - there i said it!)    And i hate you and your stupid AVs  they suck butt!  I liked Roy as A Canadian.  Screw him. Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah back in the day Messier was actually my second favorite Oiler after Paul Coffey.  Dropped down the list when he became a Ranger, dropped further down when he became a Canuck.

A lot of players I really liked on the Clarke Flyers...  Bill Barber, Mark Howe, Rick MacLeish, Paul Holmgren, Ken Linseman, Pete Peeters, Bob Froese...

And the Roy Canadiens...  Mike McPhee, Brian Skrudland, Stephane Richer, Craig Ludwig, Chelios, Kirk Muller, Denis Savard...

• Like 1