The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Probably Boeser/Garland. Possibly packaged with Hoglander, Rathbone etc and for a RHD, but sure. And we will still need that organizational/prospect depth from somewhere to contend. Here's hoping they're scouting the $#@% out of unsigned college/euro guys :lol:

Again, I'll remind folks that basically no one wanted JT traded just because, we simply didn't want to sign him to market value and didn't expect him to actually take less than that (he did). This is still 1-2 years longer than I'd prefer, but it is WELL below market value. Therefore - I ain't mad.

Oh look, another one @Locke Lamora:lol:

Yes, this is 100% a team friendly deal and under market value.  Can't believe some people think otherwise.  I was thinking he'd get minimum 9x7 on the open market, maybe more if he put up another 99 point season.  And for the Canucks to re-sign him to a 7 year deal and not an 8 year deal is huge.  Congrats to JR/PA on that one.  I think this is their best move so far...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, JM_ said:

14 mil + whatever the cap goes up by to re-sign Bo, Kuzmenko, some more d after next season. It'll require moving a F. But certainly not an impossible situation. 

Yip. After this coming season Myers = one year left. Pearson = one year left Dickenson = one year left. All movable.  Meantime Garland has value, Brock as well, if need be. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Never fails. Canucks always do their big business when I’m bogged down with work and I miss the excitement of the initial news and join the party hours late.

Anyway, it’s the result I was expecting. I was fairly confident from the messaging (on both sides) that an extension was Plan A and that they’d eventually get it done.

I was hoping for something in the high 7’s for AAV, but also sort of expected they’d need to go 8 years.

$8M X 7 years is fair. Certainly not an overpayment. Probably some money left on the table, compared to what he’d get on the open market, although comparables are difficult, and there are similar players on either side of his AAV.

I’m glad there’s a limited NTC in the last three years, rather than a full NMC throughout the deal. I think that’s a valuable concession that management secured and helps mitigate some of the risk of going long on a player in JTM’s age group.

Ultimately, I like this deal. Like I said at the top, I always felt that he’d get re-signed, so Im not really disappointed about any “missed opportunity” or trade haul that might have been. And I’m happy the contract numbers are closer to the “better case” rather than “worst case” scenarios (at least based on how I read the current market).

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, this is 100% a team friendly deal and under market value.  Can't believe some people think otherwise.  I was thinking he'd get minimum 9x7 on the open market, maybe more if he put up another 99 point season.  And for the Canucks to re-sign him to a 7 year deal and not an 8 year deal is huge.  Congrats to JR/PA on that one.  I think this is their best move so far...

Agreed. Cap will rise as well. I'm pleasntly surprised and happy with the deal. JT has skill, but he also brings a lot of flavor to a Vanilla squad. Now he knows he's here for the long haul? Expect even more leadership from him. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Says you.  I say they did.  What the truth iis depends on what he does in the next 3-4 seasons

So you're saying that a top 10 scorer in the top league in the world, who's hitting his prime, isn't worth 8 mil a year? 

You must be joking, right? 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, like I've said  in numerous posts this thread, this is a good $8m +/- under market value. Honestly thought that +/-$15m difference was a bridge to far but they surprisingly Confederation Bridged" that mother-$#@%'er.

Those last 3-4 years are likely going to hurt a bit, and it's going to make it harder to address our other roster issues, but it's a far better contract than I feared.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. After this coming season Myers = one year left. Pearson = one year left Dickenson = one year left. All movable.  Meantime Garland has value, Brock as well, if need be. 

it'll be interesting to see if they try to move some of that before the preseason. I suspect not, but who knows JR/PA are full of surprises this summer. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

it'll be interesting to see if they try to move some of that before the preseason. I suspect not, but who knows JR/PA are full of surprises this summer. 

I see Garland as the odd man out. Nothing against him, he's a battler. Just not convinced he's JR's type player.