The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filip Johansson | D

Googlie

Last year both OEL and Myers put in a yeomans season, with Demko in net. 

with no improvement to the D corps over the off season, JT Miller being the priority and Ethan Bear and Luke Schenn are depth players, not more than fingers in the dam.

the dam being Demko….

oh shit…

changing metaphors…

but the trade for Hronek has done as much good for this club as in verse to losing Tanev, in terms of quality defence.  Hronek looks superb on Defence.

smooth and a far better passer and shooter.

and is a RHD Defender that plays either side.

who can play top pairing minutes.

a straight up trade for Horvat was a fair deal for Hronek, based on his prior numbers and the eye test.

But there is Demko.

so why do we buy out the now insulated OEL, who is now the 3 guy vs the 2 guy?

Wasn’t that the problem for Elder for 5 years?  

Isn’t the current problem with Myers, is he is really a okay 4th guy, second pairing RHD?   Which Schenn and Bear can give Myers a run for the money, and make way less? 

And isn’t Myers also in a bonus situation that is meant to make Myers very trade-able as a cheap 4-5 RHD to any cap rich, but cash poor franchise in the NHL… making Myers easily a unloadable contract by design?

OEL was injured.  And had no Demko in net.

or Rick Tochet.

Last year he played every game or nearly and out up decent numbers.  

If the cap space can be better used, and that’s the need, how about we trade the second pairing D Man that has a contract and cap space being shipped out, without any cap penalties first.

before we get further into the cap trouble that we all have been bitching about for the last three years? 

just a thought.

Phats

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

OEL was injured.  And had no Demko in net.

or Rick Tochet.

Last year he played every game or nearly and out up decent numbers.  

If the cap space can be better used, and that’s the need, how about we trade the second pairing D Man that has a contract and cap space being shipped out, without any cap penalties first.

before we get further into the cap trouble that we all have been bitching about for the last three years? 

just a thought.

Phats

Exactly

Let Filip Johansson battle it out with Juulsen and Burroughs for 3rd pairing RHD. 

Moving Myers is the easier and more logical first move to make. Buying out OEL is a piece you would make when you made the Western Conference Finals and need some extra room to get you over the top. 

Phats I agree wholeheartedly. 

4 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

OEL is a 7.2 mil luxury we can’t afford, especially for the crap game he brings. 7.2 mil and -24 do not go together… unless you are OEL.

Yup. Their only course that has certainty is to buyout OEL. Keeping him is a crap shoot. We don’t need to gamble. Buy him out! 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

On 3/27/2023 at 9:50 AM, Gawdzukes said:

I'd settle for NHL defenceman lol. Just joking but wow is he ever screwing us.

He was good and arguably our best dman last year then hurt this year, it really isn't doom and gloom with OEL.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He was good and arguably our best dman last year then hurt this year, it really isn't doom and gloom with OEL.

I agree, he is known for being very fit, and he was very good for us last year.  I think he'll be fine next year as our #2 lhd playing more defensively with Hronek.

• Cheers 2

I get tired of this  reclaim OEL focus by so many. Like other before him his health and there for agility  is shot !!, likely due to the onset of age. Before he even arrived there were some on the site who predicted he's some how return to his earlier career fame. He didn't, and now can't Don't listen to the media just watch  and judge yourself. He gets beat to the outside continuously and that's not good for an NHL D'man. The question must be asked why in the heck did JB favour OEL over Edler. The Cap hit was 50% and Edler is still doing sterling work on Stanley Cup bound Kings

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

47 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I get tired of this  reclaim OEL focus by so many. Like other before him his health and there for agility  is shot !!, likely due to the onset of age. Before he even arrived there were some on the site who predicted he's some how return to his earlier career fame. He didn't, and now can't Don't listen to the media just watch  and judge yourself. He gets beat to the outside continuously and that's not good for an NHL D'man. The question must be asked why in the heck did JB favour OEL over Edler. The Cap hit was 50% and Edler is still doing sterling work on Stanley Cup bound Kings

Let's see how well your agility holds up with a foot fracture then an ankle injury. :picard:

30 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Let's see how well your agility holds up with a foot fracture then an ankle injury. :picard:

I hope you're correct however this agility problem is not a recent phenomina, I noticed at the start of this season. So I hopr my observations are wrong and you're right and time will tell. What sickens me is the contsatnt excuses made for players. Lest we forget Juolevi, excuses abounded and it all tuned out to be untrue.

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I hope you're correct however this agility problem is not a recent phenomina, I noticed at the start of this season. So I hopr my observations are wrong and you're right and time will tell. What sickens me is the contsatnt excuses made for players. Lest we forget Juolevi, excuses abounded and it all tuned out to be untrue.

At the start of the season he was recovering from a fractured foot, that he got at the World Championships.

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

At the start of the season he was recovering from a fractured foot, that he got at the World Championships.

::D there you go basicaly unfit to play the entire season to many, except the Doctors. Lets hope maybe he's unfit next season too, LTI, now that would help 

Edited by Fred65

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

::D there you go basicaly unfit to play the entire season to many, except the Doctors. Lets hope maybe he's unfit next season too, LTI, now that would help 

No what would help is him recovering and playing as well as he did last season. Hate the contract all you want but when healthy like year one in Vancouver he is a legit top 4 Dman. 

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No what would help is him recovering and playing as well as he did last season. Hate the contract all you want but when healthy like year one in Vancouver he is a legit top 4 Dman. 

hope springs eternal. For sure he's suffered injuries, as you stated, but he will be a year older. I just look and judge. If he become revigorated that's great but few beat old man time

• Upvote 1