The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filip Johansson | D

Googlie

45 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

For the majority of the season, I have looked at Johansson's TOI and he has consistently been  the top RHD on the Frolunda team.  This despite having Christian Folin, a veteran of 244 NHL games, playing behind him as a RHD.  While this may not mean he can step right into an NHL defense, he seems like a decent bet to have a strong shot at 3rd pair RHD.  With Hronek and Myers, along with Juulsen, Burroughs, and with some luck Livingstone, the right side is shaping up pretty well for next year.  The Left side almost looks weaker now.

Yeah I think this is the drark horse PA is keeping under wraps. I remember JR saying unobtrusively in on interview we have some good ones coming and PA quietly adding he's impressed by Johnasson. He's under cotract and just on loan in the SEL. Likley help if he can come over and test his abilities as a yard stick for next season

Edited by Fred65
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah I think this is the drark horse PA is keeping under wraps. I remember JR saying unobtrusively in on interview we have some good ones coming and PA quietly adding he's impressed by Johnasson. He's under cotract and just on loan in the SEL. Likley help if he can come over and test his abilities as a yard stick for next season

I sure hope Johansson come to NA after his SHL playoffs are over and play some AHL game learns systems easier transition for next season. I am excited to see Johansson develop.

Forsell 19 is having a great SHL season and playing on the 1st line so exciting and only 19..

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

For the majority of the season, I have looked at Johansson's TOI and he has consistently been  the top RHD on the Frolunda team.  This despite having Christian Folin, a veteran of 244 NHL games, playing behind him as a RHD.  While this may not mean he can step right into an NHL defense, he seems like a decent bet to have a strong shot at 3rd pair RHD.  With Hronek and Myers, along with Juulsen, Burroughs, and with some luck Livingstone, the right side is shaping up pretty well for next year.  The Left side almost looks weaker now.

Ethan Bear has played very well with Hughes. I think Hronek on paper looks like a good partner for OEL.

Wolanin and Juulsen have great too. Wolanin played over 20 minutes in back to back winning games and finished 1 point + 2. He is now +6 in 12 games and has only been a - (-1) in 1 game. I think Wolanin is a hidden gem and will be a top 4 defenseman - he really stands out while on the ice. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 3/18/2023 at 12:25 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Ethan Bear has played very well with Hughes. I think Hronek on paper looks like a good partner for OEL.

Wolanin and Juulsen have great too. Wolanin played over 20 minutes in back to back winning games and finished 1 point + 2. He is now +6 in 12 games and has only been a - (-1) in 1 game. I think Wolanin is a hidden gem and will be a top 4 defenseman - he really stands out while on the ice. 

I’d like it if we offered him a. Contract. He’s earned one since training camp. Done nothing but impress me he is what he is but I think he is a solid third pairing guy 

What's impressive is the goal scoring totals the last few seasons.

With SHL and Champions HL combined this year he has 9 goals and 21 assists in 63 games and is a +6. Champions HL alone he has 4 goals and 5 assists in 12 games and is a +5. 

Not too shabby. Interested to see how well he translates into NA hockey. 

9 hours ago, R3aL said:

I’d like it if we offered him a. Contract. He’s earned one since training camp. Done nothing but impress me he is what he is but I think he is a solid third pairing guy 

He was signed to a contract by us last summer. He's on loan to SHL, he can join Canucks as soon as his season is over, I believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 12:25 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Why on earth would you curse Hronek with having to play with OEL? Do you hate Hronek that much? Before OEL spent his last dozen games out of the lineup, he had the second worst +/- in the nhl and dragged down the performance o& anyone cursed to play with him. But his +/- actually flatters him compared to actually watching him play. He gives up way too much room on the outside in his own zone, he can’t pivot left to save hi# life. He always lines up when holding the blue line when the other team is attacking our zone, way too far toward the center oft he ice, allowing attackers to get great angles to shoot from while on the rush. He rarely holds the blue line against the rush because he can’t effectively do so. The reason the team has done so well in his absence is because he is absent. 

If all is right in the world, his contract will be bought out and the savings applied to the cost of covering Hronek’s cap hit. 

17 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Why on earth would you curse Hronek with having to play with OEL? Do you hate Hronek that much? Before OEL spent his last dozen games out of the lineup, he had the second worst +/- in the nhl and dragged down the performance o& anyone cursed to play with him. But his +/- actually flatters him compared to actually watching him play. He gives up way too much room on the outside in his own zone, he can’t pivot left to save hi# life. He always lines up when holding the blue line when the other team is attacking our zone, way too far toward the center oft he ice, allowing attackers to get great angles to shoot from while on the rush. He rarely holds the blue line against the rush because he can’t effectively do so. The reason the team has done so well in his absence is because he is absent. 

If all is right in the world, his contract will be bought out and the savings applied to the cost of covering Hronek’s cap hit. 

You are right.

If we buy out OEL, move Myers for a cheaper cap dump like Nemeth, we could have a few options.

1. Sign Garikov / Graves / Soucy - Probably looking at a range of around 5-6.5 Million. 

2. Trade - I am not sure if the Pens would have interest in Boeser, but perhaps Boeser with $2.5M retained for Pettersson would be an option? 

It is a shame Juolevi busted so hard. If he panned out it would have saved us aquiring OEL. 

18 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

yeah we probably dont wanna saddle him with OEL

Detroit tried saddling him with Chabot and Hronek got absolutely cratered by it

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2023 at 2:41 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

Maybe because we don’t know how much OELs injury affected his play.

I bet you wanted to trade Petey when he was injured also… B)

I rather see if OEL can get back as a valuable 3/4 D than to cap strap us when our window is open.

We have him for at least one more season. 
Then Myers and Pearson is off the cap. Almost ten mill just those two.

The cap strapping is one year less in a buyout and we know how good or bad OEL is by then.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

7 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Maybe because we don’t know how much OELs injury affected his play.

I bet you wanted to trade Petey when he was injured also… B)

I rather see if OEL can get back as a valuable 3/4 D than to cap strap us when our window is open.

We have him for at least one more season. 
Then Myers and Pearson is off the cap. Almost ten mill just those two.

The cap strapping is one year less in a buyout and we know how good or bad OEL is by then.

OEL buyout was someone's half-baked idea that started getting repeated. It makes zero sense. 

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

What happens to the cap hit if OEL retires?

It would go away since he signed the contract when he was younger than 35 (or 35 year old season).

However, I don't see this happening, and hope a healthy OEL can rebound to some degree next year.

• Thanks 2

Just now, c00kies said:

It would go away since he signed the contract when he was younger than 35 (or 35 year old season).

However, I don't see this happening, and hope a healthy OEL can rebound to some degree next year.

I don't think so either, I just wondered.  I am a big fan of his and have not enjoyed watching his decline this year.  I hope he can come back and have a great year next year.

If he is healthy and on his game, I think he and Hronek would be a great pairing.

7 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

What happens to the cap hit if OEL retires?

He would lose all his remaining pay if he retires. He’s not going to do that. He either plays or gets doctors who say he’s not healthy enough to play and his playing would cause even further damage to his injured ankle/foot. Then he’d “retire” to Robidau Island (LTIR) and collect all his money.

It’s actually what’s best financially for OEL to finish his career on LTIR. He collects all his pay (no escrow). If he is bought out he loses about 10 million. If he finishes his career his loses the escrow clawback. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1