The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filip Johansson | D

Googlie

On 1/14/2023 at 1:59 PM, VegasCanuck said:

I fully expect that this kid will join the team as soon as his season over there wraps up. I think we'll find a way to make room for him.

Also great that we have 3 swedes on Abby the same age.. Excited to see him play in Abby and maybe a few games in Vancouver..

29 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

I was a little concerned with his offensive  output but leading scorer on his team has 22 points in 34 games.  So he’s not getting too many easy assists from offensive players finishing.  Would be huge for the team if he’s a “player”

Definitely would be a huge if he pans out for us.

Points were never going to be the best indicator for him, as he’s a two-way D and his scouting reports always valued his defensive game over his offence.

The good signs are, at age 22, his minutes have taken a big jump this season in the SHL and he’s over 20 minutes per game on the top pairing. And while Frolunda isn’t necessarily a high scoring team this year, they are a pretty good team, tied for 3rd in the league standings. So those minutes and top pairing usage definite count for something.

He’s still pretty slender at 180 lbs (82kg per SHL) and 6’1” but it appears he’s added some weight as his older vitals have him closer to 170-175, so hopefully he’s getting stronger. Skating, acceleration, edgework, etc are all good to “plus” per most reports. Not physical at all, but does block shots, and defends well. Seems like a player that could be useful, as a RHD who should be able to partner a more offensive guy, keep things tidy in his own end, and have the skating to join the offence and support transition. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Points were never going to be the best indicator for him, as he’s a two-way D and his scouting reports always valued his defensive game over his offence.

The good signs are, at age 22, his minutes have taken a big jump this season in the SHL and he’s over 20 minutes per game on the top pairing. And while Frolunda isn’t necessarily a high scoring team this year, they are a pretty good team, tied for 3rd in the league standings. So those minutes and top pairing usage definite count for something.

He’s still pretty slender at 180 lbs (82kg per SHL) and 6’1” but it appears he’s added some weight as his older vitals have him closer to 170-175, so hopefully he’s getting stronger. Skating, acceleration, edgework, etc are all good to “plus” per most reports. Not physical at all, but does block shots, and defends well. Seems like a player that could be useful, as a RHD who should be able to partner a more offensive guy, keep things tidy in his own end, and have the skating to join the offence and support transition. 

Do the Canucks have him under contract?

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, they signed him to a 2-year deal and then loaned him back to Sweden. He’s under contract with the Canucks until the end of 2023-24 (and RFA after expiry).

I should have looked it up first. He's young, and hopefully they get him over here to have a run in Abby after his season in Sweden is over. You have to wonder if Woo is ever going to get a good look this season. His contract ends this season.

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

I should have looked it up first. He's young, and hopefully they get him over here to have a run in Abby after his season in Sweden is over. You have to wonder if Woo is ever going to get a good look this season. His contract ends this season.

All indications are, and Rutherford has said this as well, this kid is likely ready for the NHL right now.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

All indications are, and Rutherford has said this as well, this kid is likely ready for the NHL right now.

I read an interview with Patrick Alvin awhile back and he said Filip will be on the team next season...they are very high on this guy. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Podz92 said:

I read an interview with Patrick Alvin awhile back and he said Filip will be on the team next season...they are very high on this guy. 

I remember that too. Seems like he’s definitely in their plans. Really hope he proves to be better than just tweener depth and actually locks down a lineup spot on the right side. Would be great to have a young, cheap RHD who can eat some minutes.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Podz92 said:

My guess is, they will find a way to move Myers out after his 5 million bonus is paid and that this guy will be the replacement.

• Cheers 1

Just a little correction, Allvin said that they're bringing him over to North America, as in Abby or Vancouver. Don't think he made any definitive statements on the NHL. 

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Just a little correction, Allvin said that they're bringing him over to North America, as in Abby or Vancouver. Don't think he made any definitive statements on the NHL. 

Exactly! I am hoping that the era of rushing prospects to the Canucks has ended. Johansson should be in Abby for at least half a season, maybe a full year. 

51 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Exactly! I am hoping that the era of rushing prospects to the Canucks has ended. Johansson should be in Abby for at least half a season, maybe a full year. 

Seems like that era is already over - unless a Dman is really good they have to jump over about a dozen 5-6-7-8 guys it seems.

Wolanin has been gold and hasn't gotten a sniff of a cup of coffee.

This is awesome news though, it would be so good to have a legit top4 RHD who isn't on the downside of his career.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I find this guy really interesting.  He doesn't bring a lot of offense, but he is leading an SHL team in icetime every time I check and with 22+ minutes.  His coach obviously trusts him and I hope we see him at next year's camp.

Will be here sooner than camp. If he wraps up season before we do, expect him here and possibly getting a game or two in. 

In answer to someone else's question about who do we replace Myers with, this is the guy! He will be a fixture on our blueline next year, count on it!

• Like 2

On 1/15/2023 at 5:13 PM, Kuzy said:

I dunno, Chiarot got a 1st ++. A desperate enough team might offer a late 1st.

I don’t think so in a strong draft year. But what do I know, when Infirst heard Benning was coming to Vancouver, I thought it might be a good thing. I have since had that part of my brain removed.

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2023 at 10:15 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Most important, Loui is learning him all the little things about the Canucks :bigblush: