The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Avalanche re-sign Nathan MacKinnon

15 minutes ago, AV. said:

Huh?  I'm talking financially, he wouldn't cripple their salary cap or structure unless he forgot how to play.

If he actually gets injured, they'd put on him IR or something.  Use your imagination

Duh! Obviously I know you're talking financially, but he has history of injuries. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Petey is putting up 70 points JR is not giving him $11 million. He’ll get what he’s getting now , maybe a few hundred grand more. 

In a dream world, sure.  Not in this NHL, however.

Top dawgs will get paid.  NHL teams would be on red alert if the opportunity to add a franchise player was there if the Canucks decided to haggle on Elias Pettersson.  Nobody would be engaging in frivolous cap-crunching if a player of Pettersson's ilk became available.  Again, he would need to nosedive and regress  quite embarrassingly not warrant a raise, let alone a hefty one, on his next deal.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Makar might overtake him as “the guy” on Colorado. He’s already won 2 major awards. He could win the Hart trophy before MacKinnon. If he does he may be the first $15 million defenceman. 

I was talking strictly forwards.  In any case, in six years time when Makar's contract expires, I'm sure enough money will have come off the books to pay him more than Mackinnon's 12.6M.  Cap will likely rise as well, so contracts will be scaled accordingly.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, JM_ said:

$15 mil? thats what Matthews is going to want from TO :lol: holy crap we might see a number of insane contracts over the next two years 

If the cap goes up to $90 million in 4 years then I believe McDavid will be getting $18 million (20%). I’m thinking Draisaitl will be traded before then. Or they can keep Draisaitl and trade McDavid. 

Either way the Oilers have 4 good years left in them. After that they will follow the Gretzky Oilers of the 80’s and will be dismantled one by one. 

Imagine being an Edmonton fan watching both Gretzky and McDavid get traded in your lifetime. 

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm currently finishing up re-watching Breaking Bad. So good.

Gotta think, some of those old timers who played 30-40-50 years ago. Seeing what players are making today. They got hosed.

But back then, mind you, players were tougher and played for pride. 

30-40 years ago was the4 beginning of the change

50-60 years ago, guys got traded or demoted for even talking about a union

why ws ted linsay traded - Search (bing.com) 

Mac's new deal ensures the Av's won't be able to afford a true number 1 goalie unless they eventually move out a significant contract. Sakic is clearly hoping Georgiev can take the next step in his career.

If they want to repeat they better hope to do it this year before Mac's new deal kicks in. Outside of their incredible core 4 (Landeskog, Rantannen, Makar, Mac), they now lack depth in their F group (bottom 6 in particular, no legit #2 center and hoping one of their tenders will catch lightning in a bottle come playoff time). 

Their D corp is still tops in the league IMHO but they likely only have a few years left with all of them, especially once Byram's next deal is due, and same with Toews.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Is it really considered taking a discount when you become the highest paid player in the league? There are literally zero comprables lol.

Definitely not a discount. I just find it funny he was tooting his horn about leaving money on the table when his last contract was probably fair value when he signed it 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Definitely not a discount. I just find it funny he was tooting his horn about leaving money on the table when his last contract was probably fair value when he signed it 

He had 52 points the year prior to signing his $6.3 million contract.  This was in 2016.  He had 53 points the first year of that contract as well so he was still playing to that contract even after the year he signed it.  So that was a totally fair and market value contract at the time. 

Sure, he obviously exceeded that contract by a wide margin after his 2nd year on that deal, but lots of guys do that on a 2nd contract.  People make it sound like he took some massive hometown discount at the time he signed his current deal, which is totally not the case.  He took market value then and he took market value now...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If the cap goes up to $90 million in 4 years then I believe McDavid will be getting $18 million (20%). I’m thinking Draisaitl will be traded before then. Or they can keep Draisaitl and trade McDavid. 

Either way the Oilers have 4 good years left in them. After that they will follow the Gretzky Oilers of the 80’s and will be dismantled one by one. 

Imagine being an Edmonton fan watching both Gretzky and McDavid get traded in your lifetime. 

18 mil for McBaby? why would any team do that on the back 1/2 of his career?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Some dumb GM will pay him I think. If he’s UFA there will be many teams chasing him and somebody will overpay. 

Yup. Historically, even we overpaid when we clearly shouldn't have - we paid Sundin $10M for one season, and even further back, Me$$ier, who ended up getting $24M for 3 years of indifferent service....

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

In my opinion, as I sit here on my couch drinking wine and eating dinner, McDavid and Mackinnon are the top 2 offensive players in the league in terms of driving play every shift and making everyone around them better. If I have either of these guys I’m paying them 12.x per year X 8 and that’s a steal. Colorado though has a way better team. Makar is going to get paid as well but that will be money way better spent than what Edmonton is paying Draisaitl. Edmonton is going nowhere unless they can unload drai. They need a better supporting cast, an NHL quality defense and a decent goaltender…so a lot of work to do. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, AV. said:

Mackinnon would have received the same money with or without individual hardware, with or without 100 points.  If not in Colorado, then in some other market.

Individual awards might help those lower on the food chain (maybe a JT Miller) to get a few hundred more, but it has no bearing on the top dawgs.  This is why your own namesake, Elias Pettersson, could go the next 2 seasons, continue to hover around the 70 pt/maybe hit the PPG mark, and still get paid north of 11M.  It won't be because of a rising cap, it won't be because of any individual awards won, it'll be because the Canucks know he's too essential to the project to let him leave, and no amount of money spent on other players could possibly replace him unless an equivalent tier of player was brought in.

If Pettersson tops at 80 points a season, and asks for 10m+; I’m almost certain management will let him walk to FA.

If he can find a team on the open market, willing to pay a him that kind of money. Then so be it. There’s certainly won’t be a contending team paying him that amount of cash.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, BobbyClarke said:

In my opinion, as I sit here on my couch drinking wine and eating dinner, McDavid and Mackinnon are the top 2 offensive players in the league in terms of driving play every shift and making everyone around them better. If I have either of these guys I’m paying them 12.x per year X 8 and that’s a steal. Colorado though has a way better team. Makar is going to get paid as well but that will be money way better spent than what Edmonton is paying Draisaitl. Edmonton is going nowhere unless they can unload drai. They need a better supporting cast, an NHL quality defense and a decent goaltender…so a lot of work to do. 

This doesn't make a lot of sense.  Draisatl outproduced McKinnon and gets paid way under what he would as a UFA.   Rantanen gets paid more then him and he's a winger.  

The Avs are going to have a tough offseason next year if nothing changes in the meantime they will have a little more then $12 million to replace/sign 9 players 2 of which will be Nehook and Bowen Byram who should be due a raise. For arguments sake lets say they average $3 mill each that will leave just over $6 mil to sign 7 players going to be tough to do well.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, thrago said:

The Avs are going to have a tough offseason next year if nothing changes in the meantime they will have a little more then $12 million to replace/sign 9 players 2 of which will be Nehook and Bowen Byram who should be due a raise. For arguments sake lets say they average $3 mill each that will leave just over $6 mil to sign 7 players going to be tough to do well.

They will have to make room, they got their cup it's time to cut some players.

This is Mackinnon and Makars team now. I could see Landeskog getting traded to create room. Maybe Rantanen but he's still young.

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs

1 minute ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

They will have to make room, they got their cup it's time to cut some players.

This is Mackinnon and Makars team now. I could see Landeskog getting traded to create room. Maybe Rantanen but he's still young.

Yep they will still have a great team but the cap is going to start chipping away at it.  Signing Valeri Nickushkin to $6.125 mil was probably a mistake.

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

If Pettersson tops at 80 points a season, and asks for 10m+; I’m almost certain management will let him walk to FA.

If he can find a team on the open market, willing to pay a him that kind of money. Then so be it. There’s certainly won’t be a contending team paying him that amount of cash.

He would and with ease, I'd imagine.  Likely any serious contending team would do their due diligence, whether they could open up the necessary cap-space is one thing, but they wouldn't balk at paying the price to bring in that quality of player.  In a world where the Poolmans, Myers, Gudbransons of the world collect a bag, you think a team isn't going to open the reserves for Elias Pettersson?  Think again.

1 hour ago, AV. said:

He would and with ease, I'd imagine.  Likely any serious contending team would do their due diligence, whether they could open up the necessary cap-space is one thing, but they wouldn't balk at paying the price to bring in that quality of player.  In a world where the Poolmans, Myers, Gudbransons of the world collect a bag, you think a team isn't going to open the reserves for Elias Pettersson?  Think again.

So far he's scored 68 points.   Last season he scored at a 40 point pace the first half, the second half a 90 point pace.   Saying he's going to be double digits is a bit of a foregone conclusion.   Loads of people thought Brock was the next Brett Hull.   Still hasn't broken 30 goals.   At least EP did, but a lot of those goals were also on the PP.   He's currently getting paid to get at least 77-78 points.   He's not a UFA yet.   He's an RFA.  At least he basically finally played ONE entire season.   Let's see what he can do next year before making these silly claims.    70 point guys don't make 10 plus.    You have to be a PPG guy forever to even be considered (Tavares - who BTW, was making a lot less cap percentage wise and he took term ... and he was a first overall, special status junior player - very different pedigree) ... at least earned his legacy deal.   EP has barely moved the needle so far. 

We still own his rights for two more seasons after his bridge is up.   That's two RFA years plus another 6 max UFA years.   Unless he explodes next season (nobody expects this in the fantasy world really) and keeps it up the following year ... he's not getting more then say Rantanen got.   9.5 was it?   For a lot better production.  

Edit:  Buyer beware for guys who explode just before becoming a UFA . Skinner.    I hope EP earns a double digit contract.    That starts with at least one 90 point season. 

His first year he was 61st in scoring,  second 23rd, third 200 or so ... fourth 55th in a full season.   That doesn't exactly scream he should be in an exclusive club of guys making double digits does it?    EP was 69th for EV goals last season.  JT Miller 34th.  Horvat 94th, that said only 7 goals separated them.   

Thank god, they finally stopped giving EP the puck as the shooter.  Once they mixed it up pucks started going in at a rapid rate.   How does someone, scoring 20 EV goals, get 10 million.   And at the same time, how does someone scoring 17 EV goals get a 7 x 8 deal?   We do this we are hooped.

Edit: BTW Garland was 83rd.  Ahead of Brock.   No PP time on the first unit.   Maybe it's time they shake things up and trade one of these guys.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2