The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How excited are you going to be for this season.

Rate this topic

danjr

How excited are you for this season?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I didn’t like the options so I went with 2011 hehe.

I do get to prove some people right this year. Great team we have here. I was stoked about last year too but things got unraveled right from the start. Unfinished business ladies and gents 

• Like 1

For me it's not quite 2006-07 when we got carried by Luongo and beat the Stars, only to get whooped by the powerhouse Anaheim Ducks...  

I'd say it's 2008-09 when we beat the Blues in the first round and lost to the upstart Chicago Blackhawks that year.  This team has lots of future stars on it's roster already, it's just a matter of getting them experience and getting them used to winning in the NHL as opposed to the NCAA/KHL/SHL.  

It doesn’t map onto any of these teams completely, but I think the WCE is probably the closest.

People only remember losing in the final, but the 2011 team was utterly dominant in nearly every aspect of the game. I don’t think we’ll see a team in Vancouver anywhere near that good again for a long time.

The 94 team is heralded as plucky underdogs but I think people forget they finished first in the division the previous two years and really had an underperforming regular season. They were also deeper throughout the lineup.

The closest would be the West Coast Express. A really strong top 6 masking deficiencies and question marks elsewhere. The biggest difference is they had stronger defense whereas this team has stronger goaltending.

What’s really going to determine how this team does though is the rest of the division.

• Vintage 1

This team is unique to all other Canucks teams.  Lots of questions that will be answered throughout the season...will Pettersson be competing for an Art Ross?  Will Horvat emerge as a Selke candidate?  Will Demko be a Vezina finalist?  Will Hughes be in the Norris conversation?  Will there be a Rocket Richard candidate emerging out of group of top nine? 

Probably the best top nine forward group the Canucks have ever assembled in its history.  And I believe the defence with Hughes, OEL, Myers, Rathbone, Schenn, Dermott and Poolman as top seven will be better than what the prognosticators are saying.

If the Canucks can stay healthy, then I can see them being the break out team of the year.

Prediction: second round playoff exit for the Canucks this season.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

This team is unique to all other Canucks teams.  Lots of questions that will be answered throughout the season...will Pettersson be competing for an Art Ross?  Will Horvat emerge as a Selke candidate?  Will Demko be a Vezina finalist?  Will Hughes be in the Norris conversation?  Will there be a Rocket Richard candidate emerging out of group of top nine? 

Probably the best top nine forward group the Canucks have ever assembled in its history.  And I believe the defence with Hughes, OEL, Myers, Rathbone, Schenn, Dermott and Poolman as top seven will be better than what the prognosticators are saying.

If the Canucks can stay healthy, then I can see them being the break out team of the year.

Prediction: second round playoff exit for the Canucks this season.

Re: Horvat (and by extension Lazar), if they can have Kesler and Malhotra-type impacts we can definitely be much stronger defensively.  The other core guys' (Petey, Hughes, Demko, Brock) questions and potential will likely be met but without that defensive beast Petey and Miller won't be freed up fully to do their thing offensively.

Agreed that our top-9 is very strong, and if Hughes as RD solidifies the top pair, due to trickle down effect the D-group should be stronger (still hope we give De Haan a contract if DeKeyser doesn't work out, but maybe Dermott could be that answer in the top-4?).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: OP, I think 2011 is still optimistic (as close as OEL and Hughes are IMO to Edler - Ehrhoff, we still need to find the Hammer to Myers' Bieksa, and that 3rd line shutdown C [possibly Horvat?].  If we have those e.g. in Horvat and Dermott/ new 2nd pair LHD, then we can probably contend).

Edited by Phil_314

17 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The WCE option is a good fit.

Exciting offense but a few glaring holes likely means no real noise in the playoffs if we even make it.

Wce had arguably a slightly better D.  But there's no question that Demko is far better than Cloutier.  We have a deeper forward roster as well.  This current team is better built for a successful playoff run imho.

This teams built more like the 94' team if we're comparing eras. 

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 2

I must be an eternal optimist cause I always go into the season expecting good things, which I can usually keep up till at least Christmas, unfortunately it was squashed last year by November although it did come back a bit later in the season.  I hope and believe this team can get off to a good start this year and hopefully keep it up, I see no reason this team should miss the playoffs. 

• Cheers 2

Hmmm......... not a fan of any of the options as I think none apply, so I can't vote for any of them but believe they'll make the playoffs by 5-8 points to spare and essentially be a better 2023 version of last years late season team - which is exactly what they are - as JR has done exactly what JB has done in the past & left him with by tinkering with a couple of peripheral 3rd/4th line players and left everything else the same pretty much.   From there, it's too early to predict - but of course we all hope they go on a run.