The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How excited are you going to be for this season.

Rate this topic

danjr

How excited are you for this season?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This team has 3 very legit forward lines and a pretty good looking 4th line. There is no doubt we have one of the deeper forward groups in the league. Our D may not be the top notch, but its better than most teams, especially when we have a dman of Hughes’ calibre and if Rathbone can make the team, we will create quite a bit of offence, just from our D alone, to combine that with the speed we added upfront we are poised to have a pretty strong season. Thats without even mentioning Demko in net and Martin looking like a very solid back up.

We have the talent up front

We have a legit #1 dman who creates a ton of offence

and we have a top 5 goalie. We have the right pieces in place to make playoffs and the depth to go a couple rounds. 

I’m very excited for this upcoming season and have high hopes. I’ve got really good feeling about this roster.

10 hours ago, McBackup said:

It doesn’t map onto any of these teams completely, but I think the WCE is probably the closest.

People only remember losing in the final, but the 2011 team was utterly dominant in nearly every aspect of the game. I don’t think we’ll see a team in Vancouver anywhere near that good again for a long time.

The 94 team is heralded as plucky underdogs but I think people forget they finished first in the division the previous two years and really had an underperforming regular season. They were also deeper throughout the lineup.

The closest would be the West Coast Express. A really strong top 6 masking deficiencies and question marks elsewhere. The biggest difference is they had stronger defense whereas this team has stronger goaltending.

What’s really going to determine how this team does though is the rest of the division.

Agree with your evaluation on the Sedin era and early 90's teams ... But the WCE era didn't have a strong top six.   It was a one line team, with some middle six guys, a good D and decent regular season goalie.   Can't think of anyone who a top six guy after Morrison that stands out at all.   Cooke?  Not really.    

This team is different.   Doesn't really line up well with any of teams before it.    Maybe the early Linden years but has to make the playoffs first and show it's true colours.    Definitely has a deeper forward group then ive seen since that time.   Burrows was the high water mark Sedin winger.  

Closest to the WCE version with a better tender if anything, I expect us to be a team that's in the mix for either a wildcard or the last divisional spot. So a fringe playoff team. I reckon our D will hurt us this season, but like last season it'll be a transitional season. Gradual progress is fine so long as there's progress. Consistently being in the middle of the pack would be a positive going forward, and before anyone tries jumping down my throat we've made the playoffs four times in the last ten years and three of those teams still featured closer to their prime Sedin twins. Being in the mix at all last season, and this season, is a step forward. 

We'll likely be watching competitive hockey. 

Edited by Coconuts

Personally, I think we're the most underrated team in the league this year. Camp is already showing how hungry this team is and how much depth we actually have - contrary to what many will have us believe. It's more likely that our team progresses this year than struggles. The sky is the limit. Playoff bound in 2023 LFG :towel:

Edited by Jester13

19 hours ago, danjr said:

By comparing to seasons of the past just for fun.  How do you think we will fare?

We are going to absolutely destroy a lot of teams and peeps will be forced to see how close Benning got us to this, fortunately there were extremely good players available to finish it off.. 

One more year for our depth to develop and it will be even better, I'm stoked for the season to start. A LOT of people are in for a shock, a BIG shock! 

I'm still in shock that we're keeping our picks since all the heavy lifting by JB and JR is done, all what's left is the farm producing more ELC'S and that will help us a lot keeping the cap under control. 

If we can't afford to keep some at the end of the ELC we can simply trade for more picks and prospects. 

Our farm actually producing for once, still find that hard to believe but at least it's started and if JR stays the course in it. We might just be able to have a top 10 NHL team with depth and not just for a one trick pony. 

Seems like everyone has come to camp with the mindset we've wanted them to have for a while now - confident, disciplined, accountable, with a lot of unfinished business to take care of from last year. It's great to hear guys talking about being more defensively responsible. 

Also ... It looks like we finally have guys with high hockey IQ to compliment the higher IQ of Petey and Hughes. We've need guys that see the ice and anticipate on a higher level.

This could be a really special year. 

Probably like the yr I became a Canucks fan, when the WCE just started but they just made the playoffs for the first time wearing the Orca in 2001. Lost to Avs, got swept. Not exactly the options provided since WCE in latter yrs were expected to go deep in playoffs, which the poll choice implied. 

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Closest to the WCE version with a better tender if anything, I expect us to be a team that's in the mix for either a wildcard or the last divisional spot. So a fringe playoff team. I reckon our D will hurt us this season, but like last season it'll be a transitional season. Gradual progress is fine so long as there's progress. Consistently being in the middle of the pack would be a positive going forward, and before anyone tries jumping down my throat we've made the playoffs four times in the last ten years and three of those teams still featured closer to their prime Sedin twins. Being in the mix at all last season, and this season, is a step forward. 

We'll likely be watching competitive hockey. 

Yeah, agree with a must better goalie. But not yet for me. Need to get in first. 

15 hours ago, IBatch said:

Agree with your evaluation on the Sedin era and early 90's teams ... But the WCE era didn't have a strong top six.   It was a one line team, with some middle six guys, a good D and decent regular season goalie.   Can't think of anyone who a top six guy after Morrison that stands out at all.   Cooke?  Not really.    

This team is different.   Doesn't really line up well with any of teams before it.    Maybe the early Linden years but has to make the playoffs first and show it's true colours.    Definitely has a deeper forward group then ive seen since that time.   Burrows was the high water mark Sedin winger.  

When WCE team had Sedins, Klatt, they weren't a one line team. The GWG by Hank Sedin in game 1 vs Wings in OT. But the Sedins were just starting and wasn't near their prime at all. 

Nice but bitter memories. Wings were cup favorites and nux stole first 2 games on the road. Then the Lidstrom goal deflated their confidence. Out in 6. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Yeah, agree with a must better goalie. But not yet for me. Need to get in first. 

When WCE team had Sedins, Klatt, they weren't a one line team. The GWG by Hank Sedin in game 1 vs Wings in OT. But the Sedins were just starting and wasn't near their prime at all. 

Nice but bitter memories. Wings were cup favorites and nux stole first 2 games on the road. Then the Lidstrom goal deflated their confidence. Out in 6. 

Yep.  The Sedins didn't peak until much later.   They didn't do much at all until after the lockout.    It's really too bad the Sedins didn't figure things out when guys were hooking and holding and putting guys through the boards.    If they peaked earlier then maybe even Cloutier wouldn't have mattered.   

Edit: I remember exactly where i was when Lidstrom scored that goal.   

In 2002?  Well here's Daniel won't bother with Henrik.

000-01 Vancouver Canucks NHL 75 20 14 34 24 -3 4 1 2 3 0
2001-02 Vancouver Canucks NHL 79 9 23 32 32 1 6 0 1 1 0
2002-03 Vancouver Canucks NHL 79 14 17 31 34 8 14 1 5 6 8
2003-04 Vancouver Canucks NHL 82 18 36 54 18 18 7 1

It's not even good third line production for 2002  - so like i said - we were a one line team, well until Carter showed up anyways.  

Edited by IBatch

It's the same excitement every year for me. During the summer, I get preoccupied with doing other things...biking, being outdoors, etc. So I don't "miss" hockey as much if I'm keeping busy like that. But once September creeps in and the weather starts changing and the days start getting shorter, I feel hockey in my blood. It starts to be the focus and I can hardly wait. The start of the NFL season gets it going, then it becomes laser focused on the return of hockey.

Can hardly wait. I am very positive and have a really good feeling about the upcoming season. I think that this team will surprise some...they haven't really had a fair shake at a proper assessment. Through COVID and coaching slumps and players who moved on and injuries (Petey), I am hopeful that everyone stays healthy and a full year under Bruce's leadership will really show what this team is all about. I gauge it, a lot, on the player's desire to be here and that seems strong. The "brotherhood" matters and a few additions seem like good ones. If the team is all on board and excited, we can be too. I think that speaks volumes after the way the season last year unfolded and how they were feeling in the first 3 months. The fact that they want to be here really is attributed, a great deal, to Bruce and how he's restored their love of the game. JT's extension is a big nod to the confidence in the room and how the players feel about each other. They want to be here, and that's square one.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I voted '94, but I don't really feel it's a good option. I just chose it because it says "unlikely team" and I feel that's rather accurate. I believe we are a good enough team to be making the playoffs but I don't truly feel like we're going to the finals. However if we did make it to the finals it would feel like the '94 team. 

I think if im comparing it to a team though.. id have to pick somewhere around '06 '07, when the team had some strong pieces together and were buzzin'. We currently have strong pieces. Do we have holes - yes but so did those years. They are the stepping stones that brought us to 2011. That's the vibe I'm feeling.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

I voted '94, but I don't really feel it's a good option. I just chose it because it says "unlikely team" and I feel that's rather accurate. I believe we are a good enough team to be making the playoffs but I don't truly feel like we're going to the finals. However if we did make it to the finals it would feel like the '94 team. 

I think if im comparing it to a team though.. id have to pick somewhere around '06 '07, when the team had some strong pieces together and were buzzin'. We currently have strong pieces. Do we have holes - yes but so did those years. They are the stepping stones that brought us to 2011. That's the vibe I'm feeling.

My thoughts exactly. Team is good enough to make the playoffs and even win a round. But I see this teams lack of depth on defence catch up to them eventually as the playoffs go on. But I’m excited to have a team that’s building up to something special in the next few seasons from now.

Edited by EP Phone Home

12 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I had forgotten just how good Cloutier was in those first 2 game before he fell apart.

First post, I’m so excited I signed up because there is so much training camp related content on this site. Really can’t wait for the season to start, I’m even excited for the split squad games tomorrow.

I think we’re a playoff team. 

Edited by Sylas
  • Like 3

I have low expectations. If these guys make the playoffs they aren't likely to get past round 1. The defense was a problem last year and we only managed to get the group 1 year older. No improvements on the back end is going to be the story come December I feel.

Good forward group, not great but good, better than last year for sure.  Goaltender is our strength, depending on what Martin does as backup of course.

This feels like a team that is hoping to outscore it's defensive problems which never seems to be a winning recipe once the playoffs start.