The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Brock Boeser out 3-4 weeks

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm only speaking from experience.

I dont know the specifics of BB6 injury.

In my YUTE, I had serious hand injury, squished my hand, stitches, almost lost a fingee, pins inserted etc

took a good 4/5 weeks for the pain to subside/ swelling, color return to normal.

probably 3 months until i could properly and painlessly grip a stick & stick handle.

The point im trying to deliver is that BB6 will be ok, hands are tough. hes in excellent shape & health. probably a good 6/7 weeks until we see some boeser bombs.

• Upvote 1

I fractured my forearm and I broke like 8 of my fingers when I played football in highschool and I never needed surgery. My bones and joints just healed on their own with casts and tape and I can still rip a hockey ball/puck just as fast if not faster 10 years later at 27.

I mean no discredit to Boes's injury. Obviously broken hand or wrist or whatever. 

But like every little thing that happens to a pro => surgery to get them playing asap.

would a normal person immediately get hand surgery? Is that best option for him long term?

They wear gloves and it's pre-season. Like Is someone going around two hand chopping in the mits hard enough to break hands that bad? What

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I'm only speaking from experience.

I dont know the specifics of BB6 injury.

In my YUTE, I had serious hand injury, squished my hand, stitches, almost lost a fingee, pins inserted etc

took a good 4/5 weeks for the pain to subside/ swelling, color return to normal.

probably 3 months until i could properly and painlessly grip a stick & stick handle.

The point im trying to deliver is that BB6 will be ok, hands are tough. hes in excellent shape & health. probably a good 6/7 weeks until we see some boeser bombs.

If it's a break, that is. We don't know that, we have no idea what it is. Like I mentioned earlier, the only hand surgery I can think of with a 3-4 week recovery time is a carpal tunnel release. If that's what it is, he should be pretty much good as new in a month. As far as surgeries go it's incredibly non-invasive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

If it's a break, that is. We don't know that, we have no idea what it is. Like I mentioned earlier, the only hand surgery I can think of with a 3-4 week recovery time is a carpal tunnel release. If that's what it is, he should be pretty much good as new in a month. As far as surgeries go it's incredibly non-invasive.

Brock was doing more of his 'shoulder shrug/reset' thing than normal; I wonder if this carpal tunnel release thing was causing him some discomfort or inability.

I hope that is all it is and he can get back on track and just concentrate on playing good hockey and winning with his teammates.

12 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Yeah I wonder what the injury is. Personally I don't think it's a break that required surgery. 3-4 weeks would be incredibly optimistic for that type of procedure. 6-8 weeks minimum is generally a more typical timeline if a hand break requires surgery.

If I had to wager a bet, and based off zero knowledge outside of 'hand surgery' and '3-4 weeks' I'd guess it was a carpal tunnel release. Might have snagged it in training camp and felt it was a safer bet to just snip it during preseason then try to rehab it and slow him down over the course of months or maybe a season. 

ah that's a good bet too. 

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Brock was doing more of his 'shoulder shrug/reset' thing than normal; I wonder if this carpal tunnel release thing was causing him some discomfort or inability.

I hope that is all it is and he can get back on track and just concentrate on playing good hockey and winning with his teammates.

If he was having some hand sensation, could have definitely thought it was coming from an a shoulder or neck impingement. Could definitely be.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

If he was having some hand sensation, could have definitely thought it was coming from an a shoulder or neck impingement. Could definitely be.

I've had shoulder impingement and it's a ... pain in the neck, arm, etc. For a LONG time I experienced it...lol at doing old step/cardio workouts with weights that were FLUNG overhead during high intensity routines. I'm glad we learned over the years.

Really sad that we're already losing Brock for a bit because I feel that it's so important for the team to hit the ground running and not lose any ground. The chemistry matters and so everyone developing that means losing games is losing some of that momentum and familiarity.

Hope he hurries up and heals. I am hopeful for a great year from him and the sooner the better.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1