The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets | Oct. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Our fans don't give enough of a sh#$ to boo any more. We get the product that we deserve for our complacency. 

I honestly hate what this franchise has been for the last decade.

I've complained a lot about Aquilini so I won't waste too much more time on it, but the entire team has been comfortable with being mediocre for far too long, mostly since Benning replaced Gillis. They wasted years trying to rush a rebuild so they could become 'competitive'. Everything from trading picks for project players to making impulsive free agent signings. They never tried to innovate, did as much as they could to cheap out in terms of filling out the hockey operations staff and were mostly insistent on doing things the old-fashioned way.

The big front office overhaul came years too late, after most of the damage that Benning and company did was already done. Now the current regime have little flexibility to build on what they have and are stuck with continuing down this path with a poorly-constructed, complacent but too talented to completely bottom out roster. If someone compentent was owner, they would have realized what needed to be done sooner.

They could fire Bruce, trade Miller or whatever else, but it feels like it's gonna take years to fix this franchise and what it's become, top to bottom. Worse still, I don't even really know whether the current regime has the competence or the permission from ownership to get it right.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

So 

What is the solution?

I doubt Bruce gets fired this year.   They would be left paying 3 head coaches, 2 not to coach.  

Major shake up? 
Trade Bo?

Trade Garland?

Trade Boeser? 

We obviously need fresh defence, and I’m thinking a leadership change, and I don’t mean Miller.  He is too hit or miss with his attitude.

I’m not sure who, or what, but something needs to change.  

Bo has the most value, but would leave a massive hole in the middle. Especially given that Miller doesnt seem able to handle the defensive responsibilities of being a center. 

Trade whichever of Garland or Boeser could give us a bigger return. 

Realistically we don't need 1 top-4 RHD, we need 2. 

No idea where they're going to come from. 

56 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Lol this is a joke right. Where are all the Boudreau fan boys???? 

We are giving up important points here. There is no excuse for he start this team has had yet again. 

This isn’t the coach’s fault that certain individuals aren’t playing to expectation. That’s on the player. The coach is providing the opportunity to shake it off. 

it’s not a programming issue. It’s individual errors in reading the game, playing positionally sound, responsibility and unfortunately an air of entitlement with certain players that their game will come around while they continue to fail on focusing on just making the simple, smart play.

there is also adjustment with new linemates.

This is not on Bruce…yet.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GB5 said:

This throwing sticks around in the room crap doesn't cut it for me. 

Everyone in that room is part of the team  this includes training staff, coaching staff and equipment managers.

A bunch of high priced cry babies throwing their toys around for the behind the scenes team mates to clean up us a disgrace.

The first guy who threw his stick is the first guy benched for me.

Connor Garland oops I mean Kyle Burroughs...

Edited by DS4quality

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Bo has the most value, but would leave a massive hole in the middle. Especially given that Miller doesnt seem able to handle the defensive responsibilities of being a center. 

Trade whichever of Garland or Boeser could give us a bigger return. 

Realistically we don't need 1 top-4 RHD, we need 2. 

No idea where they're going to come from. 

Would it leave a hole though?

Im sure we can find a 3c who is good at face offs for less than 7.5mill.  
Also, Bo sucks defensively. Sure he gets deployed there a lot, but we lose a lot of games….

Bo is a great player, but with Petey emerging as a number 1 this season, Bo can be replaced with a defensive minded 3c for fairly cheap.  

8 minutes ago, GB5 said:

This throwing sticks around in the room crap doesn't cut it for me. 

Everyone in that room is part of the team  this includes training staff, coaching staff and equipment managers.

A bunch of high priced cry babies throwing their toys around for the behind the scenes team mates to clean up us a disgrace.

The first guy who threw his stick is the first guy benched for me.

I think that's where our weakness is, leadership.

I love Bo and think he's a good part of what we have.  But could you see players throwing sticks around with a Weber, Iginla, Chara type captain?

Miller is a no for me.  Good player, too emotional.

The young talent on our team needs some ballsy vet presence.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Would it leave a hole though?

Im sure we can find a 3c who is good at face offs for less than 7.5mill.  
Also, Bo sucks defensively. Sure he gets deployed there a lot, but we lose a lot of games….

Bo is a great player, but with Petey emerging as a number 1 this season, Bo can be replaced with a defensive minded 3c for fairly cheap.  

who is the 2c?

• Thanks 1

Just now, LesPaul81 said:

I think that's where our weakness is, leadership.

I love Bo and think he's a good part of what we have.  But could you see players throwing sticks around with a Weber, Iginla, Chara type captain?

Miller is a no for me.  Good player, too emotional.

The young talent on our team needs some ballsy vet presence.

Hate to question it but what if the issue is the demeanour of our youth??

EP is bringing it this year but maybe the personalities are too many of the varied/passive? EP/BB/QH all high skill players with very lower key personalities. 

they are looked upon by everyone as also being current leadership of this team. Have been for a couple years now.

maybe that’s the problem?