The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Oct. 20, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

players like hughes don't come around very often. imo schenn plays well with him but schenn is a 3rd pair or depth d-man, poolman the same. hughes is playing two many minutes a game. unless they could get 2 top 4 d-men in return, trading him makes little sense. 

i think we have petey, miller, horvat, hughes and demko. the supporting cast has proven to be yet. 

miller will turn it around i'm sure. are the rest the right fit for a winning team?

There's a lot of firepower up front, this te.needs multiple dmen who can play defense.  I also think Rathbone can take up some of Hughes role.  Ultimately, the team needs a number of pieces and Hughes would bring a massive return

5 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I know the "blow it all up" theme is popular right now after what's admittedly a rotten start to the season, but I just have a feeling that there's one major thing going on with the team behind the scenes that we're not aware of, and if that gets sorted out we could still go on a run and have a fun season.

Of course, it could just be a bad mix of players and coaching staff that's going to take years to sort out. But I'm going to stay optimistic and hope there's some magic bullet that turns this thing around.

It's not that it's "popular" now, it's that it should have been done at the tdl and/or draft.  Now, it's glaringly obvious what needs to happen and it's getting to desperation time

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Maybe yes and maybe no...

Seeing how people react after 5 defeat, makes you wonder, how they would feel if this was going to be the product for another 4-6 years and maybe longer?

Petey, QH and Demko won't hang around for that long, and if we want a proper tear down, there wouldn't be much idea in keeping them around.

Finally, We'll never get to pick at the top table...

I guess there's only one way to find out. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't agree. We could have had Marino for peanuts if we hadn't done any of: signed Mik, traded/not extended Miller or Boeser. We could have got assets (including another team's first instead of our own) for Miller to move for a D. There was plenty of attentive paths.

the only possible one was Marino that I saw - and that is a curious pass by us. Not sure why that deal wasn't made tbh, other than cap space. Just a small detail :lol:

I never saw a single verified report of a top RHD for Miller or Boeser. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

They absolutely didn't and should not have to burn any firsts. All they had to do was trade Miller/Garland/somebody, and not sign Boeser. That was the hard path which would require a little patience on the fans behalf.

show me where that deal was ever possible and for which RHD. It was all speculation. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I think JR/Allvin need a presser soon to explain the vision for the team to the fans. Last I heard, they were trying to shed cap, acquire draft picks, and improve the D. So far, they'd done the opposite of that. Tell us what the vision is.

You are absolutely correct.  They have done the complete opposite of what they said they'd do.  I suspect that Aqua-lini has stuck his nose in again and prevented JR from making the painful moves necessary to right the canucks ship.   

Seems to me JR is nothing more than Jim Benning 2.0

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

After 5 games ?

ok.

lol.

I mean, this team is going nowhere ... even if they turn the corner and make the playoffs. This defence is horrendous and needs to be fixed. Any hockey person could clearly see that. It should have been the priority and this team won't accomplish anything until it's addressed. However, with our summer moves we've made it almost impossible to achieve and without cap space could easily take two or three years just to approach the issue.

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

the only possible one was Marino that I saw - and that is a curious pass by us. Not sure why that deal wasn't made tbh, other than cap space. Just a small detail :lol:

Agreed, thats a lot of baseless speculation right there.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not that it's "popular" now, it's that it should have been done at the tdl and/or draft.  Now, it's glaringly obvious what needs to happen and it's getting to desperation time

And to be fair "blow it up" is a tad hyperbolic. A couple big, key moves could have done it. There's a solid nucleus and some good complimentary pieces here. It didn't/doesn't need to be scorched earth.

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Yeah, cap space. Like I said moving/not extending any of Miller Boeser (or Garland for that matter) or not signing Mik (though I like a lot of what he brings) would have given us that cap space. Combining a couple of those might have allowed us to target a guy like Hague or Chychrun as well.

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Again, we could have moved either of those guys (Miller in particular) for other assets (and valuable cap space) and used those assets for D.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Let's hope it's just a mental block after signing such a big deal ... it comes with some pretty hefty expectations.   And he's not pulling an LE, Okposo,  Foligno, Parise..etc etc etc etc .. more like a Duchene ... just needs a little time.    The Miller we had last season i don't think anyone was expecting 99 points again.   However very reasonable to expect four years at a PPG ... 

Last year EP was awful his first 30ish games ... Brock too.   Horvat wasn't doing all that much either.    Miller and Garland were towing the line ...  

Not sure why this teams having so much difficultly starting a season right.   They handled the pressure of a new coach well.   And almost dug themselves out of a massive hole.    They are the 9th youngest team ... right at or near the sweet spot for sinking or taking a big step.     Would anyone be that surprised to see them go 5-1-1 the next seven games? 

I'd be surprised yes lol

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If Bettman allows it….

3306821F-C245-4AF5-B72B-0B20813F8BEE.jpeg

Perhaps we can stack some picks and trade up for the Bedard pick,  Burke would.

More food for thought, ..

Jake Livingstone, an NCAA free agent in the spring.

From Creston,  6’3.  205. 23 yrs.

Shoots Right.

played with Langley Rivermen .

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone else find this quote from Miller in The Province after last night's game a little disturbing?

"I'm trying to be patient, but I'm not going to change the way I'm playing, away from the puck and in my own end because I don't think I've given up much of anything there." — J.T. Miller

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Agreed, thats a lot of baseless speculation right there.

We couldn't have got Marino with any of Boeser/Miller/Garland (or Mik) off the books? We couldn't have targeted Chychrun or then unsigned Hague with assets from a Miller trade plus that cap space?

And that's just the obvious ones. I'm sure there are others we haven't event thought of.

3 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Anyone else find this quote from Miller in The Province after last night's game a little disturbing?

"I'm trying to be patient, but I'm not going to change the way I'm playing, away from the puck and in my own end because I don't think I've given up much of anything there." — J.T. Miller

When you are the current holder of the green jacket on the team you aren’t above some self-examination of your play/effort.

16 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

That quote can’t be real.