The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Bruins trade Jack Studnicka to Canucks for Michael DiPietro, Jonathan Myrenberg

I actually like the trade. Let me expand by analyzing the teams' respective depth charts (open to debate, obviously).

VAN:

RHD

Myers

Schenn

Poolman

Burroughs 

Juulsen 

Keeper

Johanssen 

Woo

Myrenberg

Persson

G

Demko

Martin

Delia

Silovs

DiPietro

Koskenvuo

Young

BOS

C

Bergeron

Krecji

Coyle

Nosek

Studnicka

Etc.

In Studnicka, you get a decent, right handed forward with middle 6 potential (he's still only 23-24) who's shown well in the AHL, and had a lack of opportunity with the big team. With Lazar out and Miller shifted to wing, Studnicka can shift in at 3C, pushing Äman (who is barely into his 20s) down to 4C where he continues to develop his game. I don't expect him to turn into a 1C, and he can absolutely still bust, but the outcome of him being an impact bottom 6 centre is still very much a possibility.

DiPietro is (rightfully) disgruntled, and since management has no loyalty to draft picks they didn't make, they found him a new home. Myrenberg showed well at camp this past year, and has shown flashes of potential, but still projects as a long shot to make the NHL. I feel people are upset because it could be Forsling 2.0, though it may be more likely he ends up as Candella... only time will tell. Let's see what the future holds.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It wasn’t a terrible trade. The RHD prospect was meh. 

He is 19, 6'2 RD could make Sweden world U20 team for this 2022  ? I would say he is playing good,

I like this prospect...

Jonathan Myrenberg
If I had to pick who the best defenceman of this camp was, I’d go with Jonathan Myrenberg. He stood out on day one with the added size that he has put on in the past year, shined with the power behind his shot, and wowed us in the scrimmage with his ability to anticipate plays in the neutral zone.
He will be loaned to the Allsvenskan for the 2022-23 season and hopes to be back in the SHL for the year after that. As a 6’2″, right-shot defenceman who can move, he is very much in our crosshairs as we fast approach overseason prospect viewings.
We loved the way that he was so aware of everyone on the ice during the scrimmage. He has active eyes and is constantly scanning and preparing for what to do when he gets the puck.
Lots to like, he is our first star of the defence and up there with Bains as out camp standouts.

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I'm not upset. Just don't see the reasoning to keep acquiring forwards. We have 3 centres in the top 6 and Aman for the 4th line.  Thanks for the chuckle though. Lol

That’s the impetus for the move. 

The Canucks have 3 legit Centers. 

There isn’t a legit 4th line Center with Lazar out. Aman is not a legit 4th line NHL Center. 

Chuckles indeed. Thanks for the migraine. 

2 minutes ago, Bell said:

Mikey wanted out,  Lazar is on IR,  they filled a void.  Chill peeps.

The thing is the team hasn't won a game, why move prospects to fill an NHL gap? The team in general looks very slow. TDL can't come fast enough to begin recouping some picks and prospects...but most importantly so that they can reset their broken NHL lineup.

I think the team will improve as the year moves forward but the older players in this core can't drive success. Time to play EP, pods, hogs, etc. As much as possible. Just get them reps.

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Fillip Johansson

Viktor Person

both RHD prospects. 

One

Of

Our

Only

RHD

Prospects

But if you look at all 3 of them, which of the 3 based on size and skill thus far looks like an actual prospect?  Then, weigh that against the lack of RHD plus what RHD are currently trading for.

Makes no sense at all.

• Cheers 3

32 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

The point of this trade was to move DiPietro out of the organization. Period.

He and his agent have asked for a trade and publicly said they were not happy.

Right now the Canucks are a tire fire.  This is simply getting rid of a minor problem and distraction.

Nothing more.  The return is irrelevant. Could have been a roll of tape.

Move on.

This is  it. MD could only be a distraction at this point as well. 

So what's our goalie situation on the farm now? 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

That’s the impetus for the move. 

The Canucks have 3 legit Centers. 

There isn’t a legit 4th line Center with Lazar out. Aman is not a legit 4th line NHL Center. 

Chuckles indeed. Thanks for the migraine. 

I genuinely meant thanks for the laugh, guess your impetus is just to be right.

We have 3 AHL Dmen playing right now but the solution is a 4th line centre.  Got it.

Thanks for nothing?

• Upvote 1

I really hope this simply ends up as a nothing transaction involving a couple of players with NHL contracts, which it most likely does, but with the pieces involved there is almost no circumstance where Van can win this trade.

Best case scenario for Van, and the most likely, is none of these players end up with more than a handful of NHL games. There are, however, multiple ways in which Bos walks away from this looking really good.

Just not a good look trading from our biggest position of need to help stock our 2nd biggest position of need IMHO.

2 minutes ago, therodigy said:

I actually like the trade. Let me expand by analyzing the teams' respective depth charts (open to debate, obviously).

VAN:

RHD

Myers

Schenn

Poolman

Burroughs 

Juulsen 

Keeper

Johanssen 

Woo

Myrenberg

Persson

G

Demko

Martin

Delia

Silovs

DiPietro

Koskenvuo

Young

BOS

C

Bergeron

Krecji

Coyle

Nosek

Studnicka

Etc.

In Studnicka, you get a decent, right handed forward with middle 6 potential (he's still only 23-24) who's shown well in the AHL, and had a lack of opportunity with the big team. With Lazar out and Miller shifted to wing, Studnicka can shift in at 3C, pushing Äman (who is barely into his 20s) down to 4C where he continues to develop his game. I don't expect him to turn into a 1C, and he can absolutely still bust, but the outcome of him being an impact bottom 6 centre is still very much a possibility.

DiPietro is (rightfully) disgruntled, and since management has no loyalty to draft picks they didn't make, they found him a new home. Myrenberg showed well at camp this past year, and has shown flashes of potential, but still projects as a long shot to make the NHL. I feel people are upset because it could be Forsling 2.0, though it may be more likely he ends up as Candella... only time will tell. Let's see what the future holds.

ugly cry GIF

• Haha 1