The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

1 minute ago, AV. said:

Your words, not mine. 

I just laughed at this move and pointed out the obvious here (he's a waiver-tier player, retention or not).  That's the extent to what I said.

Some don't take kindly to hearing the truth, I'd wager.

Waiver tier why? Because after struggling to come back from Covid, one of the highest ranked stanley cup contenders don't think he's a fit in their top 6 right at this moment? The kid (he's still incredibly young) played really well his entire NHL career for playoff teams. One setback doesn't alter your career. He has a chance to really take a spot and make a home in Vancouver. Some of us watched him play in Edmonton a lot and see the potential and the fit on our squad. This could be a great move. As it stands, it's a good one for little to no cost. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

See, there's two issues with this. How one looks at things isn't black and white, nor is how things are expressed. I'm quite vocal about wanting to rebuild and I was critical of last nights game, but I was also complimentary of Pettersson and said he'd probably break 80 points this season. I also recognized that Demko looked better against Carolina despite the struggles of the team in front of him against what was a much better team. 

It's also not just one side getting riled up and going after the other, it's both sides. Some folks make jabs at pom pom waves, some write off anyone who's consistently critical as toxic or make them out to somehow not be a fan, or to somehow be less of one. We've both been here long enough to know there's two sides to that coin. 

I never said they aren't fans, I just don't understand why someone would wallow in negativity or stay continually frustrated with management. That seems like it would take a lot of energy to maintain to me. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

sure thats true, but we already have people tearing down a player who hasn't even played 1 minute for us. 

Ya. Look, I am as down as anyone on this team right now. But lets give the young man a warm welcome and wish him luck. He's a Canuck now. New start, hopefully turns it around  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Not at all, go wave the pom poms as much as you want; just cut back on saying you think others are wrong for how they 'fan'.

I'll say what I want to gurn. Feel free to put me on ignore if you don't like it. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I don't get it.. so the Canes made us pick up their filler in Lane Pederson (AHL journeyman) but is willing to cover 18% of Bear's salary?? Do we even have any value in Pederson? just another Studnicka who got some "top 9 potential"?? 

Studnicka's potential is way higher than Lane Pederson.  Studnicka will play significant time with us this year,  Pederson won't get a sniff.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

(Remember I was the puck throwing scorekeeper at 8 rinks many moons ago. Been there/done that...got first star though).

I took my nieces public skating there , up until then I was just the guy that looked like dad. They luv me. :wub:

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I never said they aren't fans, I just don't understand why someone would wallow in negativity or stay continually frustrated with management. That seems like it would take a lot of energy to maintain to me. 

And I'm not saying you would, you're typically one of the posters who sees both sides of things and who isn't quick to jump in one way or another. But it's not just one side going after the other, it takes two to tango.

And that's fair, the only answer I can really give to that is that most people exist in flux, both as people and as fans. People aren't static beings, neither is how they express things. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The problem with Bear as a 3rd RHD is he needs to be qualified at $2.2 million in the summer to retain him.  Are we going to be paying a 3rd pairing Dman $2.2 million?  

Don't you read the whole thread before posting?

He/his agent already said he will sign for less than his QO.

Have you slipped into the Petey we saw after his holdout?

What happened to you?

Get back on the wagon and play your way out of this; we need the real Elias Pettersson.

We're winning again and gonna make the playoffs and some noise in it.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Waiver tier why? Because after struggling to come back from Covid, one of the highest ranked stanley cup contenders don't think he's a fit in their top 6 right at this moment? The kid (he's still incredibly young) played really well his entire NHL career for playoff teams. One setback doesn't alter your career. He has a chance to really take a spot and make a home in Vancouver. Some of us watched him play in Edmonton a lot and see the potential and the fit on our squad. This could be a great move. As it stands, it's a good one for little to no cost. 

Ok.

Just now, Coconuts said:

And I'm not saying you would, you're typically one of the posters who sees both sides of things and who isn't quick to jump in one way or another. 

And that's fair, the only answer I can really give to that is that most people exist in flux, both as people and as fans. People aren't static beings, neither is how they express things. 

thats fair. I guess all the anger is getting to me from this crappy start to the year. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's like you're really a Pantera fan but you hang out at the One Direction forum. Makes no sense.

Posts everyday on One Direction forum. This band isn’t heavy enough. Frack wtf are they doing 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks desperately needed a youngish RD, and they got one for a late pick that most likely won't mean anything. Why are some mad at this?

Because for all the years of suck, we really only have QH to show for it in our top 4.  The only way to get top 4 d is to either draft them or overpay them in free agency.  You might get lucky and find someone that was undrafted or playing in Europe/Russia but you're also competing with half the league.  But for all the losing we still don't have much in Abbotsford or the rights to.

We need picks to draft and develop Defense and Centers and the more you have the better the odds that you find a diamond in the rough.  Komi might be our best D prospect on the right side lol.

21 minutes ago, AV. said:

The idea around this is that Carolina was actively looking to find a solution for Ethan.  If something hadn't materialized in the form of a trade, they would have waived him to get him games in the AHL.

well I guess they figured out he was going to be picked up off waivers and found a suitable trading partner.

so he was never going to be waived, he was always going to be traded.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

thats fair. I guess all the anger is getting to me from this crappy start to the year. 

Can probably be said of a lot of us, although whether it's anger or not is tough to gauge. There's a lot there. Frustration, a lack of surprise, complete surprise, disappoint, hope, optimism, pessimism, and on and on. 

Of course there's carry over from our history, history impacts how everyone engages with things and how everyone views things whether they acknowledge it or not. People have the capacity for learning, we adapt from experience and oftentimes we don't forget. We bring our experiences into our experiences. Now I'm getting waaaaay off topic with this stuff but you get the idea. 

• Vintage 1