The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

4 minutes ago, AV. said:

Arguably, yes.  Why make a trade that you know won't improve your team or help you compete for a Stanley Cup?

Newsflash: no one KNOWS that a trade well be guaranteed to improve a team OR help them compete for a cup. They hope. But there's a lot of chemistry and hot cold streak stuff that you can't pencil in. Unless you  happen to get a #1 pick then maybe you're close to a guarantee...all the rest is a crap shoot. Even with the best of armchair GM's out there. Even they lose the hockey pools some time.

Submit your resume though, you just never know.

Hope that helps.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

They let Myers slip right by waivers and ended up paying a 5th for a vastly inferior player.

I don't mind bear, but this is more of what they already have a lot of........it's not going to make much difference 

He's just another third pairing guy, maybe a top 4 tweener at best imo. I don't see him moving the needle but I understand why they brought someone in given our injuries. I'd have grabbed someone off waivers though, but I guess this management group thinks there's upside. Maybe there is, we'll see. 

Doesn't address our top 4 though. 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

They let Myers slip right by waivers and ended up paying a 5th for a vastly inferior player.

I don't mind bear, but this is more of what they already have a lot of........it's not going to make much difference 

I think they probably didn’t want to take on that cap. Isn’t it more than Bear and also I don’t think we had 4 defencemen injured at the time Myers was on waivers. Could be wrong though.

I like a good story and Bear is a great story especially the way he was treated in Edmonton. I hope he brings it when we play those guys. I’m rooting for him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How many cup rings does he have?

He's a nice guy. Great as a person. The Laughing Incident was epic.

But he's too inflexible. And he refuses to change tactics. That makes him predictable. That's why he gets to the dance, but never gets a cup.

I liked Quinn a lot more as a coach.

The most accurate description of AV out there. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, AV. said:

Lol.

They couldn't have waited a week until he hit waivers?

Dumbest franchise in the league.  By a landslide.

Do you actually stop to think before you post, or do you just let the bitchiest thing that crosses your mind spill out onto your keyboard?

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He doesn't do it much though, keep that in mind. His historical PIMS at all levels speak to that.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/ethan-bear

ok by me, id rather have the forwards that are frequent fighters as it doesnt short hand the D for 5 minutes.  from what Ive seen he can handle himself if push comes to shove..which is a positive.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, AV. said:

But am I wrong here?

Did Tampa Bay not improve once Miller was dealt?  Would a history book not demonstrate this in plain sight?
Likewise, would a history book show vast improvement for Vancouver or would it simply show "DNQ" beside each season, bar one in 2019/20, before Miller and after Miller?

They only got better when they traded for extremely cap efficient players. I would say the real trades was the one for blake coleman, David Savard and Barclay goodrow trades.

the fact that Vancouver traded them the first to get Coleman is largely irrelevant to them winning the cup. Vegas was going to trade a player for a 1st to make cap space anyways.

11 minutes ago, AV. said:

But am I wrong here?

Did Tampa Bay not improve once Miller was dealt?  Would a history book not demonstrate this in plain sight?
Likewise, would a history book show vast improvement for Vancouver or would it simply show "DNQ" beside each season, bar one in 2019/20, before Miller and after Miller?

What does this have to do with the Ethan Bear trade?

12 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, you always fall back on that lame excuse.

It is not true gurn.

I agree with a lot of what you post, and you know that.

But as soon as anybody disagrees, you pull this same lame crap.

Tell me, what is the real reason you defend a known troll like poster AV?

What do the kids call it today?  

Showing off your righteousness or something.

Glory boating?

Christ I said something about panties and you went off!

Still upset that I mentioned some sexism in one of your previous posts huh?

Well I apologize for hurting you.

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Do you actually stop to post, or do you just let the bitchiest thing that crosses your mind spill out onto your keyboard?

You're attaching to emotions to my original post that don't exist.

I made honest observations about this trade.  This idea that I'm somehow upset, frustrated, disappointed, etc. are simply false and contrived ones from other people.