The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's my point, I don't think they really even pursued them much.  I think they were dead focused on resigning miller and Boeser

As long as “they” includes our owner, because it’s his philosophy. 

Edited by Alflives

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think they have anyone who will bring back a high enough draft pick to make that juice worth the squeeze.  They might get a late 1st for Miller or a 2nd and roster player, but I'd rather a hockey trade for Miller.  To me, draft picks don't make much sense unless they're top 10-15.  Not at this point anyway.

Same as the players regarding the squeeze. Personally I'd rather we start with some picks now vs the never approach we've been doing forever. I mean you are talking something major with Quinn though so then ya that would at least return viable players. I suppose it's a possibility. Doubt this group has the stones.

Guys like Boeser, Pearson, Myers ... might only get draft picks if anything but seconds this year or next at the TDL works for me.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

That's my point, I don't think they really even pursued them much.  I think they were dead focused on resigning miller and Boeser

Boeser was a bit of an unusual problem with that high QO. Coming down from that was a win of sorts I guess. 

10 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

If the nucks don't win the next game i will throw a jersey on the ice....A Maple Laffs one..Now someone buy me a Leafs jersey.

Screw that, give me the jersey and i'll sell it on ebay for the 20 bucks it's worth.........i need every penny?

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yup.  And to think the team is in total tear down territory is cutting off your nose to spite your face.  They have plenty of pieces to work with, they just need to ship some guys out and bring other players in that fit better with the young core's timeline.  As you say, to make it work, other teams need to move roster players as well.  

However, I think they're going to have to sacrifice a younger, high profile player because at some point they're going to need a move where one guy goes out and several pieces come back.  I think they've missed that window with Miller and it's not happening with Boeser, so I think either Petey or Hughes is going to have to go as well.........my vote goes to Hughes because I think NJ would be willing to pay a steep price to have all three bros.

I too think this may be an option.

Quinn is a superstar (70s again) defenseman, but that is a small body ladies and gentlemen.

If we have to move anybody of that ilk, I think it is Quinn, and like you say, to NJ.

(We could keep him if we signed a nice monster RD that can skate and is smart enough to stay out of the box while delivering the 'message'.)

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm with you on this Alf.

AQ is impatient. I used to think it was because he was trying to quickly get a cup for his dad Luigi.

Was it AQ who fired Nonis and hired Gillis?  Because then Gillis made a bunch of moves to build around an existing (but not achieving) core and we got really good.  Maybe AQ thinks that’s how to build a winner? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Was it AQ who fired Nonis and hired Gillis?  Because then Gillis made a bunch of moves to build around an existing (but not achieving) core and we got really good.  Maybe AQ thinks that’s how to build a winner? 

I dunno.

I like Gillis though. At least he went for it.....got oh so close.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I too think this may be an option.

Quinn is a superstar (70s again) defenseman, but that is a small body ladies and gentlemen.

If we have to move anybody of that ilk, I think it is Quinn, and like you say, to NJ.

(We could keep him if we signed a nice monster RD that can skate and is smart enough to stay out of the box while delivering the 'message'.)

For me, it's not really anything to do with Hughes, I like most of his game.  However, it's a very unique situation with Jersey and the Hughes brothers and Jersey has some great young players and might be in win now mode.......QH would be a massive add to them, as a player and a marketing opportunity 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dunno.

I like Gillis though. At least he went for it.....got oh so close.

He did, but what we've gone through in the last 10 years and are currently going through is a direct result of that "going for it".  Not saying I'm not happy he did, but he made a huge mess in the process

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

He did, but what we've gone through in the last 10 years and are currently going through is a direct result of that "going for it".  Not saying I'm not happy he did, but he made a huge mess in the process

Ownership probably played a part in that mess making. They did want a quick turnaround and not a rebuild. JB said state at the beginning that he thought this team could turn around quickly.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Ownership probably played a part in that mess making. They did want a quick turnaround and not a rebuild. JB said state at the beginning that he thought this team could turn around quickly.

Linden probably couldn't sell the rebuild idea, not after the first concept failed. JB had an easy answer for FA.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They didn't have the pieces for that kind of rebuild anyway and the two players of value they did have screwed the team over in a big, big way.  There was no way they could have pulled off that kind of rebuild, imo 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

The market has drastically changed too. It's possibly harder to get good defensemen today than it's ever been.
You're not getting an Ehrhoff for a bag of pucks today.

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If your trading Horvat it's as a rental for futures, doubt your getting a hockey deal like that.

Unless there's worthwhile free agents available, but that can be a bad road to go down as we've learned 

Gotta stop looking back. Theyve bottomed out & have a young core now. Whether it's good enough is the question.

I get it and let's see what happens.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Boeser was a bit of an unusual problem with that high QO. Coming down from that was a win of sorts I guess. 

I question whether the qualifying offer was the stumbling block some of us made it out to have been, he eventually signed for less. I reckon if management had told teams he were available they'd have gotten interest in him, all it would have taken is piecing together a deal that worked for both sides and allowing them to negotiate with Brock's agent. 

They could have spoken to Brock and figured out where he'd have interest in extending, trading him was well within their rights. I think there could have been more flex with Brock if they'd approached things differently.