The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Its the Owner - Smyl Edition

Rate this topic

Provost

12 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Besides the extremely long list of questionable Aqua-Lini behaviors and business scandals in our community, I think the last straw for this guy was what we heard a couple of weeks ago regarding the (alleged) Wife Abuse & Beatings of his Children

Stick to hockey related stuff.  Let the courts decide that.  There's enough ammo against him without diving in to he said she said abuses.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Stick to hockey related stuff.  Let the courts decide that.  There's enough ammo against him without diving in to he said she said abuses.

there is a large area outside of hockey and he said she said that is documented poor behavior

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

there is a large area outside of hockey and he said she said that is documented poor behavior

It is in the forum rules, and is very clear about that.  I don't wanna be a mini mod or that kind of D bag, but there's plenty of hockey related discussion about Aqualini that we can jump in to without bringing in his behaviour outside of the organization.  That is something for the courts to decide on, not us.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

while I don't disagree with your fundamental premise and I also think steamer got shafted a bit there, especially with how clear it became at the time just how much he cares, but I put the chain of events more on rutherford than francesco. 

rutherford was offered the job, hemmed and hawed and demurred and seemed luke warm to the idea at best, effectively turned the job down, and francesco had to do something in the interim.

stan definitely got the short end of the stick, but I don't think there was malice or deviousness involved. francesco just isn't very smart and is a terrible businessman.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, tas said:

while I don't disagree with your fundamental premise and I also think steamer got shafted a bit there, especially with how clear it became at the time just how much he cares, but I put the chain of events more on rutherford than francesco. 

rutherford was offered the job, hemmed and hawed and demurred and seemed luke warm to the idea at best, effectively turned the job down, and francesco had to do something in the interim.

stan definitely got the short end of the stick, but I don't think there was malice or deviousness involved. francesco just isn't very smart and is a terrible businessman.  

He's a very smart businessman with regards to real estate, but he doesn't know what he's doing with regards to hockey.  He hasn't learned his lessons, unfortunately.

While I am interested in Provost's take on the Smyl thing, which I think has legs, I think Smyl is/was an awkward choice for a GM. He doesn't have any GM experience, and while Allvin doesn't either, Rutherford came in with a resume that outshone Smyl.

I've been very, very vocal about the bad decisions made by new management, but Rutherford did claim that when he came in, he was said to have the freedom to make the decisions needed for the team. Well, at least that was the impression he gave off during interviews.

Sam Chang agrees with my assessment, although I had been making noise BEFORE October. New management essentially talked, but didn't actually walk.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canucks-rebuilt-front-office-then-140056804.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFKZMxAP60jJWwje6XmGn5lw0XUnW_1-BiPmf-TTrLT9cxmJpCVOrTSVbkdvNNqykCZMHydDL5Ai-qDGs3D0XX9Gj5eT2JYbCtUx5TAGQejZykx66PphNUERsatvAZZ0_F4OMlzY-7PY8kFZwFFrfZfiNKbpRlDx020V1sCw1Smg

1 hour ago, awalk said:

Canucks fans deserve a hell of a lot better than this owner. 

I think our owner spends to the max in hopes of recreating what Gillis did.  But he's got to learn that we need to fully and properly rebuild.  That Gillis team had a key core of picks that were top three in the draft.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He's a very smart businessman with regards to real estate, but he doesn't know what he's doing with regards to hockey.  He hasn't learned his lessons, unfortunately.

While I am interested in Provost's take on the Smyl thing, which I think has legs, I think Smyl is/was an awkward choice for a GM. He doesn't have any GM experience, and while Allvin doesn't either, Rutherford came in with a resume that outshone Smyl.

I've been very, very vocal about the bad decisions made by new management, but Rutherford did claim that when he came in, he was said to have the freedom to make the decisions needed for the team. Well, at least that was the impression he gave off during interviews.

Sam Chang agrees with my assessment, although I had been making noise BEFORE October. New management essentially talked, but didn't actually walk.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canucks-rebuilt-front-office-then-140056804.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFKZMxAP60jJWwje6XmGn5lw0XUnW_1-BiPmf-TTrLT9cxmJpCVOrTSVbkdvNNqykCZMHydDL5Ai-qDGs3D0XX9Gj5eT2JYbCtUx5TAGQejZykx66PphNUERsatvAZZ0_F4OMlzY-7PY8kFZwFFrfZfiNKbpRlDx020V1sCw1Smg

I think his brothers and father have far more to do with the success of the family businesses than francesco does. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

That would be a reasonable take EXCEPT if you listen to Smyl’s interviews when he was made interim GM.  He clearly had no idea at all they weee close to hiring a permanent guy…. Never mind they had already put an offer out there.

Aquilini clearly gave him the impression he probably had the season at the helm and/or a President might come in during the season and start looking for a new GM but keep him as interim while that happened.

Steamer was literally talking about his vision for the team identity and how he was talking with other GMs.  No idea he had no authority to do so as his tenure was going to be extremely short.

• Cheers 3