The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we really need to blow this all up?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Hindsight Hyena?  Here was my take on 3 drafts, what we would have ended up with.

2016 I liked Juolevi. Sergachev was available & Chychrun I had rated 3rd in his draft. McAvoy turned out to be a steal. I know this was a spilled milk that was left on the floor rotten. But I admit I cheered, cuz we picked a D. We traded our 2knd. Samuel Girard & Phillip Hronek were available, I was high on both.

2017 I was screaming at my TV to pick Nick Hague.  Counting down the picks as he was available. 6'4'', huge shot, decent skater with great composure with the biscuit. He went the very next pick after Lind. Why is nobody picking Kole Lind Nick Hague I bemoaned for years since; I had this one right! Petey round 1!

2018 we could have picked Alex Romanoff. He was the very next pick after we selected Jett Woo.  Gotta admit, I was gearing to Bode Wilde who slipped. That has not worked yet either; but its not skills holding him back. Did not mind Woo and was not ''all over'' Romanoff.  But we missed.  I did select Martin Fehervary in the 3rd and 4th rounds of 3 Fantasy drafts. Romanoff gets more attentions, as he is a big hitter.  Fehervary was a surprise 2knd round pick, is an absolute steady Eddy style D man, 6'2'' fast, blocks shots & is playing 20 minutes a night usually top pair except no PP.  In round one I would have selected, cough, Adam Boqvist. Noah Dobson was available. We scored huge with Quin Hughes at the top of this draft.

3 years in a row we slipped on D available.

Chychrun Boqvist

Hague Fehervary

24 and under, even missing out on Hughes I think we could be set for this life cycle!

No, the reaction from fans on this board is always the same. Blow it up and start over, and if it were up to them, we would be starting over from scratch every 2 or 3 years. There's a definite lack of patience.

I've been saying for a long time, we have enough core talent here to be competitive, but not the RIGHT mix of talent.

We need a couple of specific trades that will reshape our defense. Our biggest issue right now is our inability to transition out of our own zone when Quinn Hughes isn't on the ice, and we don't have enough guys who will do whatever is necessary to suppress shots when we're in our own zone on the penalty kill.

As much as everyone like to rag on Jay Beagle, he was a guy who would do anything to suppress shots. It was time to let him go, but we haven't don enough to replace that type of player in our lineup.

We are lacking the, "Do anything to beat the other team" mentality in our current mix.

So, don't blow it up, make a trade or two that addresses that issue.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

in a perfect world, we could just nmove the players not performing up to our standards, but crazy enough other teams don't want those players. they want the ones playing up to or above expectations. ain't they got no learnin?

maybe we forget to send the gift baskets this year?

In a perfect world, you keep Demko, Huggy, Petey - take offers on the rest. 

In reality, we really only need Demko (playing at his 'usual' level) - everyone else is replaceable either individually and/or by the right combination of players. 

WHOA-oh WHOA-oh

Canuck fans are back in town

WHOA-oh WHOA-oh

WHOA-oh WHOA-oh

If you're alone and need a friend

someone to make you forget your problems

Just come along, friend, take my hand

Bedard is our hero in sight.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

there's no cohesion in the room,

lt only makes us better

from now until forever

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

I wanna go BOOM BOOM

Lets tank the season together

Trade the whole dang room.

The mix on this team needs to change, I believe that much.  How far it goes?  We shall see.  I think you make one move at a time and re-assess after every move.  I think it starts with Horvat, as  a decision on him due to contract status needs to be made sooner than later.  See what you get in return for him, re-assess and continue.  Maybe it turns into blowing it all up, maybe it doesn't.  Bottom line is though, the mix on this team needs to change.

I know mine is not a popular opinion. When I read Twitter, it's a huge ball of negativity and all the "experts" are saying this needs to be blown up and started fresh. CDC isn't far off.

But I personally don't believe that. I do feel we have an incredibly fragile team, with a fan base and media that are very, very hard on the team. I mean, I know... we can and should expect more from the Canucks after all this time and after different coaches and GMs. But let's not forget that Bruce helped this team be one of the best in the league after he arrived last year. We are scoring enough this season, but our D coverage blows (as it has for years). Yes, our D corps itself needs to be fixed but it seems that while we all knew that, new management seemed to think it was good enough. Still, add in maybe 2 guys and cut the fat (cap) out, and it doesn't really look that bad. I maintain that while Hughes may not be as well-rounded as, say, Makar, he's still the most gifted defensemen this team has ever had. That's a good start, at least. 

And consider this: Demko is currently letting in an extra goal a game over what we were used to last season. If that ALONE changed, we would be in much better shape. If we had 1 goal less scored against per, we would have had an opportunity to win 6 more games so far. Say we won half of those in the end. 3 games = 6 points, and we would currently be 2 points out of the 3rd Pacific spot. Now, if our team could play a decent defensive game at the same time, all of a sudden we're probably sitting just a couple points under the top position currently held by the Knights.

It's clear the team cannot continue being this wishy-washy no-identity team and expect success. But I truly believe if we were able to string some wins together and the team played like it CAN that we would build momentum that could carry us to the playoffs. Isn't it worth giving it one last shot before we commit ourselves to several years of another rebuild?

• Upvote 2

Petey is on pace for 96 points.  BO is on pace for 50+ goals.  Miller is starting to get back into shape and is a guaranteed PPG guy.  Demko looks to be rounding into form after his surgery.  Hughes is an assist machine and could be a PPG defenceman this year.  Kuzmenko can hit 30 goals.  Mikheyev is as advertised, solid defensively and is on pace for 20 goals.  Luke Schenn is a rock on defence.  Curtis Lazar is a legit 4th line energy guy who can move up to the 3rd line.  Martin is a legit backup in the NHL and can play 30 games.

The problem is outlined right here in the opening statement.  This is everybody's very best and wishful versions of themselves (although, the point about Pettersson is true and Hughes not too far from it - probably 65-70 range if he's healthy).  It's very easy for any team to be a legitimate one if all of the stars align in that way, but how often does it happen?

I think the time to think wishfully has passed us.  We've done that for the past 3 years and keep making foolish decisions as a result.  It's time to start making decisions based on the facts in front of us.  The standings, the state of the roster, the state of the prospect pool, the salary cap - all not good and need to be fixed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

in a perfect world, we could just nmove the players not performing up to our standards, but crazy enough other teams don't want those players. they want the ones playing up to or above expectations. ain't they got no learnin?

This is exactly it… even with three guys who could be around a PPG, the team still has a garbage record.

If they slow down even a little the team goes from bad to atrocious.  I don’t know if you can count on Bo to score 60-70 goals over the whole season.

We can’t build anything around them as we have no cap space and no prospects in the pipeline.  To get rid of the rest of the team that isn’t performing, we would have to give up more futures (which we don’t have), that would cripple us even further.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1