The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey needs to spend less time reading CDC about how great he is and spend more time in the gym getting bigger and stronger. Dude needs to gain at least 10 pounds of muscle. 

Bahaha... you just called Pettersson a Selke candidate last last game. A Selke candidate who gets pushed off pucks and falls to the ground pretty easily. 

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I think he's playing well enough to bring back a #4-5 dman, with similar cap........hopefully they can get some cap savings out of it 

Yeah, definitely one thing we have zero use for is more useless dmen. Maybe like you say we save a couple million. I'd rather just give him away and get a draft pick of any type and the cap space and then use that to actually formulate a plan to acquire what we need down the line. I would hope if he keeps getting points he would be tradeable at the deadline for a half decent pick ... 2nd or 3rd when teams overpay. However I expect the worst and another shot in the dark crap dman coming back instead.

Edited by Gawdzukes

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I suppose it's fitting that Ovi broke a Gretzky record against a Boudreau coached Canucks team

I looked at the all-time numbers before the game and thought "great he can't get to 800 and make history against us"

When they said on the broadcast that he had indeed set a record against us, I started laughing. It wasn't a pleasant laugh though.  It was angry and slightly maniacal!

• Haha 1
  • There it is 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I think he'll bring back a #4-5 dman with cap.  Not many teams out there can absorb cap without sending cap back and the ones that can probably don't have much interest.  PA really painted himself into.a corner with the Miller and Boeser deals and he's going to have to be creative to get out of it.  It's unlikely he's going to get much cap reluef out of any deal, so he'll likely have to make multiple deals and hope he gets a million or so on a few of them.  

If the cap goes up by the 4 or 4.5mil like Bettman suggested it could next year - those contracts don't look as bad anymore. 

I'm not saying they're bargains (Miller's would be if he got 99pt again though), but if the cap goes up two, three, or four mil each year for the next several years those are manageable.  That's assuming the players continue to produce at a reasonable/similar rates to past production - if not, then any contract is a bad one not just those two guys. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If the cap goes up by the 4 or 4.5mil like Bettman suggested it could next year - those contracts don't look as bad anymore. 

I'm not saying they're bargains (Miller's would be if he got 99pt again though), but if the cap goes up two, three, or four mil each year for the next several years those are manageable.  That's assuming the players continue to produce at a reasonable/similar rates to past production - if not, then any contract is a bad one not just those two guys. 

That's a big "if" the cap goes up. We'll see what actually happens there. Unfortunately those deals won't be "not to ugly" until teams actually know they have that cap space available moving forward and we'll probably have screwed it up by then. We also need money if we're planning on resigning Kuz, Petey, Pods, and Hogs.

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

What a horrid game. There's been a few this year but none of them bothered me as much as this one did. I don't see how anyone can use that, "oh, first game back at home" as an excuse for what we witnessed. Wasn't just a couple of guys either, it was damn near everyone. Washington isn't exactly a powerhouse but they sure owned us. I really didn't expect this level of ineptitude. I haven't been a proponent of the tear down, build from scratch and through the draft but holy crap that was an ugly game on home ice. Why list names; too many. Well maybe a couple or three. Garland should have been benched. That's a move I'd make today is to trade him for a pick. Any pick, just get him off the books. Plenty of people pretty much feel the same about Boeser and I'm getting close but he has a better knowledge of the play around him but will he ever be "Allstar" Brock again? Doubt it. The performances by our A squad; Horvat, Pettersson, Miller and Hughes were sad last night. Man, did we get out played, out skated and out witted in the smarts department. Wouldn't have mattered who was in goal. Yah, I think it's time for a couple of moves. Don't know if we have the right brass to do it though. Guess Brian Burkes too old mm? too bad.

Several weeks back Juice mentioned on HNIC that this team has no identity.  They're not tough, they're not overly skilled throughout the entire line-up, they're not build on systems or structure, they're not built on team defence, they don't outwork teams, they score but not regularly....

Sadly, I think they're proving that their identity is wild unpredictability.  You never know who's going to show up on a nightly basis - the team that destroys a cup contender like Vegas, or the team that struggles to beat a non-playoff team like SJ? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's a big "if" the cap goes up. We'll see what actually happens there. Unfortunately those deals won't be "not to ugly" until teams actually know they have that cap space available moving forward and we'll probably have screwed it up by then. We also need money if we're planning on resigning Kuz, Petey, Pods, and Hogs.

I think it's quite safe to expect that cap to go up - the only real question is by how much? 

There's really no reason to expect it to go down or even stay flat - there's been no noticeable drop in league-wide attendance, there's no outstanding TV contract issues, there's no issues with escrow, ect.....really the question is now much profit is the league generating at this point? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Bettman said they made 500 million more than projected.  That takes a year off their expected covid time frame.   This year it won't be hard to match last year as well - Bettman said that they project the cap goes up 4-4.5 if things remain the same this off season.   The IF is if they aren't made whole, the following season to expect a massive increase.    Either way, it means we aren't going to be suffering badly.   And that little fringe work Allvin did relieves the pressure.   That said we won't be able to keep the team as is without moving one of Myers, Garland or Brock. And well we could retain a bit depending on what's coming back.   It's not so dire as it might seem.   There is a path to re-sign Horvat, and add to our defense and re-sign Kuzmo.    Should we be doing that?   I sure don't have that answer.   Schenn i'd bring back as well if we can't find a long term replacement for him.   Still think we need an actual hockey trade to start the ball rolling regardless. 

18 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Several weeks back Juice mentioned on HNIC that this team has no identity.  They're not tough, they're not overly skilled throughout the entire line-up, they're not build on systems or structure, they're not built on team defence, they don't outwork teams, they score but not regularly....

Sadly, I think they're proving that their identity is wild unpredictability.  You never know who's going to show up on a nightly basis - the team that destroys a cup contender like Vegas, or the team that struggles to beat a non-playoff team like SJ? 

I have been saying that for a couple seasons and is pretty much what JR said when he took over. 
Our quality players are still very young, inconsistency is expected. Problem is the high priced vets that are supposed to help the youth develop that consistency have been wildly inconsistent. 
‘As much as we look like bottom feeders we aren’t, and as much as we occasionally look like contenders, we really aren’t. Cruising the middle ground for a decade and counting. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, definitely one thing we have zero use for is more useless dmen. Maybe like you say we save a couple million. I'd rather just give him away and get a draft pick of any type and the cap space and then use that to actually formulate a plan to acquire what we need down the line. I would hope if he keeps getting points he would be tradeable at the deadline for a half decent pick ... 2nd or 3rd when teams overpay. However I expect the worst and another shot in the dark crap dman coming back instead.

I don't think they're going to be able to move him without getting some cap back and the team needs at least one #4-5 dmen anyway.  I'd also be fine with a legit 3C as well.

50 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If they've learned anything from the pandemic it's plan for the worst.  The pandemic isnt over, especially in the US, and more austerity measures could still hit the nhl 

22 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Over time they become predictable. They'll get a few wins but they don't have what is needed to win more than 3. Their defense can't play above themselves for more than about 2 games and wins seem to make the scorers overrate themselves and they go back to endless passing on the pp, miller's backpasses and horvat seems to disappear. I thought they could run n gun but they can't for more than a few and even if they made the playoffs they are the antithesis of what a playoff team is. 

This game closed the door for me on the team being able to improve. I'll still watch the games but giving up hope of anything more than an average year.

Since they have some good assets to be moved i'd be as happy watching stillman, rathbone, lockwood, podz get better with petey and with some great draft capital (fingers crossed for lottery luck and bedard) as i would be watching a rollercoaster that goes nowhere.

• RoughGame 1

Just now, stawns said:

If they've learned anything from the pandemic it's plan for the worst.  The pandemic isnt over, especially in the US, and more austerity measures could still hit the nhl 

There's whatever impacts from the war too, it's hard to forecast what things look like economically over the next few years 

Things have gotten tighter for almost everyone 

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

We aren’t having any more lockdowns and gathering restrictions like that. This was a freak event and a bit of an overreaction. Governments are well aware that we can’t go through that again. The economy can’t handle it and neither will the people.

• Vintage 1