The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

Just now, N7Nucks said:

They as in Chicago or they as in us? Cause I am pretty sure we're both in need of young players and picks. We never should have gift wrapped our 2nd rounder.

Not saying getting a 1st or 2nd would be bad, but it certainly shouldn't be their target

The market for Schenn is going to be strong.  What he brings to the table is what every playoff team either wants, because they don't have it, or wants more of, because they have it and more is always better.  A 2nd should be the bare minimum that the team would go for, but a first is most certainly it, BUT, that should be changed to a first or a blue chip prospect.   You pay for the privilege of the NHL's leading defensive smash master!  And you make sure to tell Schenn that we want him back in the summer and going forward.  And that the sacrifice made right now, makes the team better, now and in the future, makes his role still as important, and the fans will rush to reward his presence.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Solinar said:

The market for Schenn is going to be strong.  What he brings to the table is what every playoff team either wants, because they don't have it, or wants more of, because they have it and more is always better.  A 2nd should be the bare minimum that the team would go for, but a first is most certainly it, BUT, that should be changed to a first or a blue chip prospect.   You pay for the privilege of the NHL's leading defensive smash master!  And you make sure to tell Schenn that we want him back in the summer and going forward.  And that the sacrifice made right now, makes the team better, now and in the future, makes his role still as important, and the fans will rush to reward his presence.

Always need to ask about any trade if our owner will allow it.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bad alice french said:

I think giving Petey the captaincy could be a bad move. He clearly isn’t comfortable with the press and the extra hassle and awkwardness could work against his play on the ice. 

Agreed . Big mistake "giving" someone like Petey the captaincy. Having someone earn it is the right way. Petey may well become the captain in 3 years, but moving too early would burden a player who is still growing as a player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I wouldn’t even discuss a Schenn move until the deadline. We’re a couple points out of a playoff spot and slowly feels like our season could be turning around and Schenn is a very important piece if we move towards a playoff push. That said, If we’re in a spot to love him, Allvin should have a good bidding war or him. 

• Haha 1

Not surprised any team of being interested in our players playing above their pay grade on expiring contracts

I'd be a lot happier to read of a title that mentions Canucks getting calls on anchors or players deemed expandible :P

Tdl seems the time to move (If Canuck luck doesn't see him get him injured, or others by then)

If Schenn gets us a 1st like CDC says so, which I highly doubt, then Kuz is getting us a 1st+.

Then my dream Canuck first round draft:
Bedard/Fantilli
Dragicevic (Horvat Trade)
Strbak (Schenn Trade)
Simaschev (Kuz Trade)

9 hours ago, 250Integra said:

You want Schenn? Asking price starts at 1st round pick

HARD BALL JIMMY!

I agree, Schenn provides more on the team than what he will likely receive in a trade. Go home or big home on Schenn...quite the opposite to some others where addition by subtraction might be best (cap flexibility, attitude, etc)

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sure.  We need to bring in guys who are already at their ceiling.  That’s how to build a winner.  :picard:

Petey and Hughes are young enough, I agree we need picks. 2023 draft class should be on nice ELCs when Petey and Hughes are in their prime

load up on 1sts this draft and we’ve got our young supporting cast on cheap deals during our cup run 

Resign him.

We need to rid ourselves of guys who hold dead weight.. (Myers, Pearson, and maybe Garland).

I honestly think this team makes a push. Atleast I hope...

Unless we're clearly eliminated from playoff contention by the TDL, hold onto this guy. I want him back next year. He's a leader and from Bruce's own words "the voice of reason". Makes me concerned about the teams current leadership, but that could all change this summer. All I know is I want him back and I feel that if we trade him the chances are slim for his return. He's going to get some great offers if he hits UFA and I'm not sure we can compete given our cap situation.

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I disagree, on a team who's defense is better than ours he likely plays a lesser role. He's playing above his pay and he's a top 4D for us, this doesn't mean he's a top 4D for everyone. I recognize why Canucks fans value Schenn, and why some would prefer to keep him, but fans also tend to overvalue their own players. I wouldn't pay a 1st for Schenn, not even if we were contenders.

It may involve a larger cap hit, but I reckon teams could probably get someone better than Schenn for a 1st. Being prepared to pay a 1st, let alone a 1st+ opens a lot of doors. 

I'd absolutely take a 1st but I don't think we'd get one. 

Thats a fair post. What I'm curious about is, if he's on a basement team that is terrible defensively and he's  playing above his paygrade in a top 4 role, how is he playing all these minutes and still +8 while hitting, fighting and ultimately being a key leader on this team. 

You have him typecasted in a bottom pair role when all he has shown this season is that he is sufficiently playing atop 4 role and actually thriving while the rest of the team is suffering defensively. 

One could ask what his ceiling could be if he was insulated with better talent around him with a team that had more defensive structure. 

My point is exactly that. If he was a top 4 dman his entire life and he's played at this level consistently, he'd be worth a first. Problem is, he was almost washed up and out of this league before he got his second chance and took the bull by the horns. That perception is what makes it difficult for other GMs to give up a first. It's hard to give up a first for someone that almost got washed out of this league a few years back. 

Schenn is a huge part of the leadership for this team that seriously lacks… character and leadership.  

This group never really recovered from losing Tanev and Markstrom.  Then we lost Edler, Sutter and Beagle. 

Maybe not all the strongest players or best contracts but every one em was a “good in the room” kind of player.  

I’d be very careful about moving Schenn.  Would have to be a 2023 2nd for me. 

He must be getting a lot of attention by leading the league in hits. Big part of our PK, makes Hughes better, protects our kids.

Whatever we get back won't be worth it for losing Schenn.

You could argue Burroughs slots in and is a poor man's Schenn but this is one guy we lose and we get a LOT worse.

Lose Boeser or Garland and we can cover their offence elsewhere but lose Schenn for a mesely 2nd round pick we end up blowing on the draft anyway and we're toast.